Prospect Info: Devellano comments on Anthony Mantha

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
That quote and article is oddly critical. Haven't seen anything like that in a long time.

Seems weird, no mention of Manthas injury, plus he wasn't a former no 1 pick. No mention of AA either.

Might be trying to grab headlines or something. I watched the last 2 games and while he wasn't lights out he wasn't bad by any means and had porter been thinking he would have passed to an open mantha who had a much better angle and would probably have had a goal yesterday. I have grown to hate Porter. as he single handily shuts down that lines offense. theres a reasons 90% of AA's goals come on breakaways, thats because it takes Porter potty out of the equation.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I think it is worth pointing out how critical Devellano was of everyone he mentioned. He pretty much infers that Sproul is a bust stating that we have four future NHlers in the minors (referring to Ouellet, Marchenko, Jensen, and Lashoff). He states that all four of these guys will be 5-6 defensemen in the NHL. Although a lot of this may have been liberties taken by the author because he does not quote any of this and just says Devellano says this.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its hard to get a gauge on a season with that bad of an injury. Need another season before I would worry.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Something feels weird about this. I don't get why Jimmy D would say this, or why anybody in the org would let this journalist print this. This is actually the kind of thing that Detroit media is not allowed to print.

Also, bizarro comment: Nosek is a "young guy" at nearly 23, but Mantha at 20 is a huge disappointment with some finality?

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Jimmy D really knows how to give the perfect quote. Idiot.

He could've easily said "we expected more from him and hope he finishes off the post-season on a high and pushes next season too" or something along those lines. It gives the management's view but also sets a target for the player. Instead he goes "very, very, very (three very's!!!) disappointing", like he's already a bust or something.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Something feels weird about this. I don't get why Jimmy D would say this, or why anybody in the org would let this journalist print this. This is actually the kind of thing that Detroit media is not allowed to print.

It was dumb of the Red Wings PR person to allow interviews like this while the team is currently in a playoff run.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Because it's not an indictment on Mantha the player forever? It's a snap judgement at a moment in time by a front office guy who has a reputation for running his mouth on literally any subject you ask him.

Because this year after Mantha did what he did in juniors it WAS wildly disappointing?

There are a bunch of reasons why they could and should run it.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm sure you'd love it if your employer called you out in the media after your first year on the job. He could have used kinder words to express Mantha still has work to do. That's all he needed to say.

I thought "very very very disappointed" and "....coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him" was actually quite kind. I am sure he was thinking to himself that Mantha was brutal and a lazy a@* this year and needs to get going or he will never get a sniff of the NHL, but he would never say that to the media.

Im happy he called out Mantha. These players gotta be held accountable. im sure coaches and management had meetings with him throughout the year about his season and it probably didn't faze him. So Im sure Wings management got frustrated and called him out to media.

No issue for me about this situation. Hopefully Mantha responds well to this

I will say though that this is bizzare and seems very Un-Wings like

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Also, bizarro comment: Nosek is a "young guy" at nearly 23, but Mantha at 20 is a huge disappointment with some finality?

Mantha is a huge disappointment this year because they expected him to hit the ground running. They were hoping he would push for the big roster before his broken leg.

People read way way too much into quotes like this.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Only concern I have about Mantha is the comments around his work ethic. If true and I have no idea if it is, that's a problem and something that guys seem to either have or they don't. A lot of guys made it to NHL on work ethic and attitude. I give him a pass for this year but next year pressure is definitely on and he undoubtedly has the skill set to be on the big club in the future

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
With most players, you see them struggling but there are usually signs of life. Like they'll work hard or try, just not working. Mantha looks like he doesn't care at all, and given the fact that he had the same problem in junior, I don't have any expectations from him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Here are some more moderated comments from Holland and Babcock (audio):

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...nd-and-mike-babcocks-in-grand-rapids-pressers

Babcock says something like Mantha has "serious, serious work to do this offseason" and Holland says something a little more moderated. Basically, it's all the same message, but Jimmy D put it about the worst way he could have.

Both men said that another highly prized Wings prospect, Anthony Mantha, has had a trying first year in the AHL. Both said he will have to put in a summer of hard work in the gym.

"I think Anthony's going through some adversity," Holland said. "He's obviously got some great assets, and now he's going to have to learn to improve in the areas that the NHL says he needs to improve on."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...cock-leaves-future-open-speculation/26849841/

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
You can hold people accountable without doing it in the media. Players are expected to at times conceal their real feelings, the front office should be held to the same standard.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't have a problem with the comments. Jimmy D. has often been the mouthpiece for the blunter take of management and this is no different. If Mantha doesn't want to wake up to read such things in the paper, he needs to work harder. It's not like the microscope won't get worse as Mantha eventually does start moving up the ladder. It's also entirely in Mantha's best interests to heed Devellano's comments as the warning they are, and to start righting his own ship a bit. It'll only serve him well in the long run.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Here are some more moderated comments from Holland and Babcock (audio):

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...nd-and-mike-babcocks-in-grand-rapids-pressers

Babcock says something like Mantha has "serious, serious work to do this offseason" and Holland says something a little more moderated. Basically, it's all the same message, but Jimmy D put it about the worst way he could have.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...cock-leaves-future-open-speculation/26849841/

I just can't remember the last time I've seen the front office so critical on a prospect before. Either they're looking for some tough love angle that they haven't had to use before or who knows. Maybe they're looking at the FA list and our current roster and REALLY need him to make the team next year.

**Tinfoil hat time** If that's the case then maybe we could be seeing one of Tatar, Nyquist, Pulks, or Jurco being traded and they want to Mantha ready to be able to step in.

Even with the Jarnkrok rumors swirling you never heard anything like this.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I’m not worried. Before he broke his leg, he was easily the best player in the prospects tournament last summer. Ahead of AA, Bert, Nosek etc.. He was way better than them. He didn’t forget how to play hockey. IMO It was a combination of him transitioning to pro, getting injured, and having no training camp that led to his poor season. I’d start to worry if he doesn’t turn it around next year.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
I don't have a problem with the comments. Jimmy D. has often been the mouthpiece for the blunter take of management and this is no different. If Mantha doesn't want to wake up to read such things in the paper, he needs to work harder. It's not like the microscope won't get worse as Mantha eventually does start moving up the ladder. It's also entirely in Mantha's best interests to heed Devellano's comments as the warning they are, and to start righting his own ship a bit. It'll only serve him well in the long run.

This - 100%. It's a message, not an indictment.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Nobody can tell how good a prospect can be, especially 22/23 year old Defenders who dont reach their prime till 28/29/30

who ever thought Sheahan was going to become a 2nd line center at the age that he did?

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
ProPAIN;102056382[B said:
]Jimmy D really knows how to give the perfect quote. Idio[/B]t.

He could've easily said "we expected more from him and hope he finishes off the post-season on a high and pushes next season too" or something along those lines. It gives the management's view but also sets a target for the player. Instead he goes "very, very, very (three very's!!!) disappointing", like he's already a bust or something.

Hell this is nothing for Jimmy D.....recall the quotes he served up on the passing of Willie Hubert and again when Bob Probert died.

Hint: Tell your family not to let Jimmy D. deliver your eulogy, when your time is up.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I don't think anyone thought Mantha was a finished product. He wasn't known for his 2-way game so I'm sure they'd like to see something closer to a 200-foot game. Wasn't his work ethic a knock against him as a prospect? You'd think a guy with his size and scoring ability would be a higher draft pick but he's got some limitations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad