Prospect Info: Devellano comments on Anthony Mantha

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Asked this in the Griffins thread, but was ignored. I wanted to go through the archives and watch Mantha a bit more. Any suggestions on games that he played pretty good?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Asked this in the Griffins thread, but was ignored. I wanted to go through the archives and watch Mantha a bit more. Any suggestions on games that he played pretty good?
Watch some of the games just before the playoffs. In particular, you should be able to pick out the games where he scored or was a net +. Those were pretty good games (by this season's standard). He was playing #1 PP at the front of the net.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Out of curiosity, what is everyone's issue with players being called out in the media? Airing your dirty laundry in public can sometimes be in poor taste, but other times it does it's job. Mantha didn't meet expectations this year for a few reasons, but he had extremely high expectations after lighting up juniors. What other player was that hyped going to GR?

I love seeing this stuff I have no issues with players being called out. Unless for some reason you think nothing was ever said to Mantha in private. The timing seems strange, though.

Cause you don't want to see another San Jose drama llama season. At least in terms of players/management going after each other. It is perfectly the right thing for a GM/Coach to call out players who have sub-par seasons or stretches of play. The risk you run is if it gets to be tiresome and overused. You could see some players either roll their eyes to the media or you could get the Joe Thornton response, if you have an "emotional" type of player.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Watch some of the games just before the playoffs. In particular, you should be able to pick out the games where he scored or was a net +. Those were pretty good games (by this season's standard). He was playing #1 PP at the front of the net.

Good call, thanks for the response. I'm also kinda curious if I should go back to see how he looked away from AA during that injury.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He had an assist on the first goal for the Griffins yesterday, which is a good start.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Unnecessarily harsh criticism from Devellano. Kid was hyped up and got the worst possible start to the season by getting a serious injury in camp. And still I thought people were pretty positive about his play the last few months? Stats-wise it leaves something to be desired but it looks like he has improved from early in the season which is what matters.

This is an adjustment year for Mantha so I won't get concerned unless we're a few months into next season and he's not showing signs of improvement.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Unnecessarily harsh criticism from Devellano. Kid was hyped up and got the worst possible start to the season by getting a serious injury in camp. And still I thought people were pretty positive about his play the last few months? Stats-wise it leaves something to be desired but it looks like he has improved from early in the season which is what matters.

This is an adjustment year for Mantha so I won't get concerned unless we're a few months into next season and he's not showing signs of improvement.

Well part of why he hasn't taken off is due to not being an "everydayer". Most can tolerate a slump or a player not reaching expectations if he works hard every day.

People love to root for the 10 goal everydayer, while they hate on the 20 goal floater because he's not reaching his full potential. That's just how it works. Better to get a kick in the butt now than later I guess. Sheahans "incident" turned things around for him, even if this is not the same you can hope the same thing happens here.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
an interesting comment. I haven't seen Mantha yet but whatever Jimmy D says I tend to agree.

Plus Jimmy D knows what he's doing. I wouldn't worry about that

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
an interesting comment. I haven't seen Mantha yet but whatever Jimmy D says I tend to agree.

Plus Jimmy D knows what he's doing. I wouldn't worry about that

Mantha had 1 lone assist/point in Games 1 thru 5 (Before Jimmy D's comments in the media).

Since the comments..... He has 1 G and 1 A in the 2 games since....

If I had to find any fault in Jimmy D's comments, its that he waited too damn long before speaking up.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Quite a small sample size to underline that view, won't you think so? Mantha himself didn't seem to be satisfied with his performances so far.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
It's frustrating that he isn't getting any PP-time. It's so hard to judge him because of that aswell.

P.S correct me if i'm wrong, but he isn't getting PP time in play-offs right? Nor for the majority of the season either.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's frustrating that he isn't getting any PP-time. It's so hard to judge him because of that aswell.

P.S correct me if i'm wrong, but he isn't getting PP time in play-offs right? Nor for the majority of the season either.

Mantha has been on the 2nd PP unit. Not sure has he been there in every game, but at least in the Game5 against Toronto it was like this:

1st PP:
hoggan (net-front)
Pulkkinen - Zengerle - Miele
Paetsch (on point)

2nd PP:
Nosek (net-front)
Athanasiou - Mantha
Ouellet - Marchenko

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Mantha has been on the 2nd PP unit. Not sure has he been there in every game, but at least in the Game5 against Toronto it was like this:

1st PP:
hoggan (net-front)
Pulkkinen - Zengerle - Miele
Paetsch (on point)

2nd PP:
Nosek (net-front)
Athanasiou - Mantha
Ouellet - Marchenko

He either gets 3rd unit PP or none in the past two games according to GriffinsCentral. Game 5 against Toronto they don't have him on the PP - link and he was on the 3rd set of forward lines against Rockford - link

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
The kid came in with extremely high expectations and probably has never had to really push himself to be better because he is insanely talented. He probably has never learned how to be an everydayer like Luke Glendening. Then he gets injured and doesnt have the work ethic to get himself back to form and you see what happens. This is probably the organization calling him out because he isn't showing great work ethic and they are hoping it lights a fire under his ass because he has a ton of expectations. I have no problem with them calling him out as they rarely do stuff like that.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The kid came in with extremely high expectations and probably has never had to really push himself to be better because he is insanely talented. He probably has never learned how to be an everydayer like Luke Glendening. Then he gets injured and doesnt have the work ethic to get himself back to form and you see what happens. This is probably the organization calling him out because he isn't showing great work ethic and they are hoping it lights a fire under his ass because he has a ton of expectations. I have no problem with them calling him out as they rarely do stuff like that.
What worries me is that he had been injured about less than a week before they called him out, and he sat out a few games for it. I hope this whole thing isn't the Wings telling Mantha that he'd better suck it up and play hard while hurt or else.

Apparently that's not uncommon amongst NHL teams, with Edmonton and Minnesota coming under fire for it in the media these last couple of years.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Jimmy D tells it like it is. He built the Red Wings into the powerhouse they are and he was director of scouting when he built the Islanders dynasty. Dude is a genius.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

I agree with the first part, that due to his size and skill he never had to push himself to dominate in junior, but the bolded part is flat out wrong. Players who get injured in pre-season and miss the first couple of months of the regular season find it almost impossible to catch up, even veteran NHLers. I remember Kris Draper got injured one year in pre-season, he didn't start playing well till March, and he talked about how hard it was to get the form and fitness the rest of the league had. No one would ever say Draper had a poor work ethic, and he was an NHL vet, not a kid in his first pro season.

Actual Thought*

I have no problem with calling him out. There is a massive difference in juniors and the NHL. Nothing wrong with pushing him extremely hard. That's what it will take to get him to the show. You don't get great players from pampering them. Jimmy D knows exactly what he is doing. He and Holland are the only remnants of greatness left in the Wing's front office.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
How has Mantha been since the comments?

Larkin has double the number of goals in only 2 games compared to 12 games for Mantha. Here's Mantha's production since the comments were publicized.

May 6th: 1 assist
May 8th: 1 goal
May 13th: nada
May 14th: nada
May 17th: nada
May 24th: nada
May 25th: nada

Looks like it's time for Jimmy D to rip him apart again. He just might be too soft mentally to advance beyond the A.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Larkin has double the number of goals in only 2 games compared to 12 games for Mantha. Here's Mantha's production since the comments were publicized.

May 6th: 1 assist
May 8th: 1 goal
May 13th: nada
May 14th: nada
May 17th: nada
May 24th: nada
May 25th: nada

Looks like it's time for Jimmy D to rip him apart again. He just might be too soft mentally to advance beyond the A.

Might be, But he got injured at the start of the season if he has the same year or barely better then maybe he isnt an "untouchable" unless we miss the playoffs of course and go into rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad