News Article: Devcore is willing

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh yeah, this poll.

Such a ridiculously leading poll in favour of Melnyk. It's telling that even after they worded the poll so strangely in favour of eliciting favorable responses for Melnyk, that it was still came out so badly for him.

FWIW, I answered:

3,3,5, 1,3,5,3,

The Ruddy answer,

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Oh yeah, this poll.

Such a ridiculously leading poll in favour of Melnyk. It's telling that even after they worded the poll so strangely in favour of eliciting favorable responses for Melnyk, that it was still came out so badly for him.

Why isn’t Ceci listed in the culpable agents tbat lead to the possible dissolution of the Rendezvous group?

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty sure the Leafs and Sabres Nixed the Hamilton bid, protecting their "territorial rights"

I imagine the price tag associated with changing their defined "home territory" would be very high but not out of the question, considering that the Leafs arena sells out all the time (would not be affected to any great extent) and the marginal loss of revenues (TV/radio/media etc.) might make it very advantageous to the Leafs ownership to pick up a quick $100M or so from such a sale.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I imagine the price tag associated with changing their defined "home territory" would be very high but not out of the question, considering that the Leafs arena sells out all the time (would not be affected to any great extent) and the marginal loss of revenues (TV/radio/media etc.) might make it very advantageous to the Leafs ownership to pick up a quick $100M or so from such a sale.

Don't forget that when Ottawa reentered the NHL, in 1992, they worked out an agreement with the Canadiens, that allowed Locally broadcasted games to be played in each other markets, and when they offered the same deal to the Leafs, they declined as they did not want Senator (Locally broadcasted) games shown in their market.

This agreement, with the Canadiens, brings in more eyeballs, for locally broadcasted games, for both teams, and more revenues as well. This is why Habs fans, in the Ottawa Market, can see all 82 games of their team, and the Leafs can only see the Nationally broadcasted games, that are not subjected to blackout, and vice versa.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Well yeah he should obviously consider it.

He should also consider he would need to spend or finance his own renovations of the CTC.

And he should also consider the bond of trust between him and the fanbase is irreparably destroyed and it doesn't matter what he does, he won't get it back.

It's not that Kanata is unworkable. It's clearly more than possible, we've been doing it for nigh ;) on 25 years at this point.

It's his credibility and respect at an owner. It's shot to ribbons and people keep pretending like a decision on an arena either way will bring stability. It won't.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Had to laugh about another uninformed letter writer (to the Citizen) who thinks there going to a massive traffic issue, before and after Senator games, if an Arena is built at Lebreton Flats.

Leave the arena where it is and stop worshipping condos

"We don’t need a hockey arena in LeBreton Flats. Think of the bumper to bumper traffic and the parking problems and try to squeeze that into LeBreton."
Jack Van Dusen, Aylmer

Also noticed that the editorial staff can't spell worshiping correctly.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Had to laugh about another uninformed letter writer (to the Citizen) who thinks there going to a massive traffic issue, before and after Senator games, if an Arena is built at Lebreton Flats.

Leave the arena where it is and stop worshipping condos

"We don’t need a hockey arena in LeBreton Flats. Think of the bumper to bumper traffic and the parking problems and try to squeeze that into LeBreton."
Jack Van Dusen, Aylmer

Also noticed that the editorial staff can't spell worshiping correctly.
Any move to downtown is gonna bring a bunch of complaints from people outside the core who are too good to take public transit. I live in Kanata, it would be more inconvenient for me but I still want this move more than anything.

Reactions: FlyingJ

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Any move to downtown is gonna bring a bunch of complaints from people outside the core who are too good to take public transit. I live in Kanata, it would be more inconvenient for me but I still want this move more than anything.

The point is, that the letter writer thinks the parking lot / traffic issues are going to follow the team to Lebreton Flats ...... when it's not.

IF and when an Arena is located at Lebreton Flats, the vast vast majority of those going to games/events are going to use Public Transit.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Was curious as to when the last time the current owner produced a top 10 NHL wide roster/aka a team that could reasonably challenge for a cup (numbers may be suspect as their from NHL.com)...

2018-2019: Currently 23
2017-2018: 30
2016-2017: 12
2015-2016: 19
2014-2015: 13
2013-2014: 21
2012-2013: 14
2011-2012: 16
2010-2011: 26
2009-2010: 13
2008-2009: 22
2007-2008: 13
2006-2007: 9

After this year wraps up the ticker will be at 12 seasons and counting.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Was curious as to when the last time the current owner produced a top 10 NHL wide roster/aka a team that could reasonably challenge for a cup (numbers may be suspect as their from NHL.com)...

2018-2019: Currently 23
2017-2018: 30
2016-2017: 12
2015-2016: 19
2014-2015: 13
2013-2014: 21
2012-2013: 14
2011-2012: 16
2010-2011: 26
2009-2010: 13
2008-2009: 22
2007-2008: 13
2006-2007: 9

After this year wraps up the ticker will be at 12 seasons and counting.
It won’t be changing any time soon.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The point is, that the letter writer thinks the parking lot / traffic issues are going to follow the team to Lebreton Flats ...... when it's not.

IF and when an Arena is located at Lebreton Flats, the vast vast majority of those going to games/events are going to use Public Transit.

Most affluent people don't use public transit. That's why most NHL arenas are near highways.

Reactions: coladin

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

A lot is going to be walk up from downtown dwellers from the core as well. You will see a lot of Ubers as well.

I maintain as a downtown yuppie, that if or when they have the arena down here, I will buy season tickets.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
People are nuts if they think everyone will take public transit to the games. That would take decades of conditioning before it would even be remotely workable.

Some will use it for sure, but a big segment won't, if they go ahead and build Lebreton without ample parking, they will have problems selling certain tickets.

Do not use the Redblacks as an example, if the Sens played 9 home games, they would sell out every game easily, but they don't.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
People are nuts if they think everyone will take public transit to the games. That would take decades of conditioning before it would even be remotely workable.

Some will use it for sure, but a big segment won't, if they go ahead and build Lebreton without ample parking, they will have problems selling certain tickets.

Do not use the Redblacks as an example, if the Sens played 9 home games, they would sell out every game easily, but they don't.

Why does everyone say not to use the redblacks as an example? Is it because it's the perfect example of what happens when you mesh public transportation initiatives with getting people to games and thus destroys the "b-but nobody uses the bus!!" narrative?

I'd say the average fan goes to about 9 games so you can draw comparisons, no? Also, with the LRT station being integrated into the stadium, what's the difference between a short hike from the park n ride to the station which takes you right into the arena and parking 5 football fields away in kanata and walking the same distance?

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
To be fair, when the club announced there would be limited parking and that instead they would rely on public transit there was a lot of people claiming a) it would never work, and b) that it was a sure way to cause the club to fold once again.

I think it is safe to say at this point that the doubters have been proven wrong.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Yeah, count me in that group not looking forward to getting to Lebreton. I don't mind the RedBlacks, but I am not going to do that 21 times or more. If they ever build it, I will figure it out, but last I heard there were 1500 parking spots underground, which is not a whole heck of a lot.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

its like any other city. You park somewhere and take the subway or lrt to your destination.

Thats pretty common in Toronto if you live outside of the downtown core.

Reactions: pzeeman

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, count me in that group not looking forward to getting to Lebreton. I don't mind the RedBlacks, but I am not going to do that 21 times or more. If they ever build it, I will figure it out, but last I heard there were 1500 parking spots underground, which is not a whole heck of a lot.
I thought it was 700 spots. I would be taking the train.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
its like any other city. You park somewhere and take the subway or lrt to your destination.

Thats pretty common in Toronto if you live outside of the downtown core.

Those cities have been conditioned that way for generations. Ottawa isn't like that. I'm not saying it can't change, it's just it doesn't happen quickly at all.

If they build Lebreton without ample parking, many people will just stay home. It's an easy decision.

Reactions: coladin

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

There's lots of parking in the area that's walkable, and if you live in Centretown, the Market, Hintonburgh, the Glebe, Westboro and even in Carlington, you're a sub $12-15 Uber ride away from Lebreton.

There are many more options on top of public transportation, so there's not much of a need for parking at Lebreton.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Those cities have been conditioned that way for generations. Ottawa isn't like that. I'm not saying it can't change, it's just it doesn't happen quickly at all.

If they build Lebreton without ample parking, many people will just stay home. It's an easy decision.
fans from outside the core may not come as much but there are more fans in the core of Ottawa that will come. Kanata makes it almost impossible for people without cars to come on a regular basis

also it allows for people to come to downtown before games have fun and have drinks where there is actually life

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I was actually in agreement with how the Redblacks did it. It works for the amount of games/weather they usually have.

Sens don't get that luxury, they need to go above and beyond in order to pull people in. It's way too easy to just stay home now. Making it harder to get to the games will not help that.

I agree that they need to build downtown (I've never liked Lebreton as I find it's still far from downtown proper, but there really isn't any alternative..) but they really need to make it as easy on people to get to and from the games, otherwise people will just stay home.

Also the Redblacks didn't sell out many of their games this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad