News Article: Devcore is willing

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I live in toronto now and having the subway and even the go train system makes public transit way more realistic and accessible ( i wish i spent my early 20s here)

Growing up in Ottawa/Kanata it was a pain to have to take the bus from Kanata all the way to Uottawa and Carleton it just wasn't reliable and the times in which the service runs and the amount of wasted time at so many stops just made it just a poor experience at which point you might as well drive.

LRT should fix this especially being a great way to get tipsy at a game or anything downtown and have a nice LRT ride home. The future young adults of Ottawa are going to have fun with this

I don't think the driving culture in ottawa is the biggest problem its the convenience or lack there of public transit

Also a bunch of rich suits take the subway to work in downtown toronto. Most of them live in fancy condos downtown and don't own cars

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The LRT plans on their trains running, every 5-6 minutes, and will have a capicty of about 600 people.

Therefore after an event/game there will be trains stopping, going in both directions, with the capacity to take roughly 600 people, in each direction, every 5 or 6 minutes.

So 18000 people would fill 15 trains.

If you need 15 trains and they are running every 6 minutes that means a 90 minute wait for some people. And that's assuming no one else is taking those trains. Who wants to wait over an hour at a jam packed train station?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If you need 15 trains and they are running every 6 minutes that means a 90 minute wait for some people. And that's assuming no one else is taking those trains. Who wants to wait over an hour at a jam packed train station?

There will also be bus, people driving, people walking to the game and most people will already be downtown from work. It'll just be that much better for everyone other than the people living in Kanata.

For example from my work location I could just walk to Lebreton.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Not every person would be taking the train.

• Anyone who lives in Little Italy, Centretown, Hintonburg or the Market area would be within walking distance or a $5-10 Uber ride.
• Anyone who lives in the Glebe, Rockliffe/Beechwood, Westboro or Carlingwood would be a $12-18 Uber ride.
• If you live in Ottawa South, you could take the existing OTrain.
• Lots of people would probably stay at work, keep their cars parked in their daytime spots until after the game.

There'd be way more options and not everyone would be going in the same direction, so getting out of a game would be more efficient than it is today.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Not every person would be taking the train.

• Anyone who lives in Little Italy, Centretown, Hintonburg or the Market area would be within walking distance or a $5-10 Uber ride.
• Anyone who lives in the Glebe, Rockliffe/Beechwood, Westboro or Carlingwood would be a $12-18 Uber ride.
• If you live in Ottawa South, you could take the existing OTrain.
• Lots of people would probably stay at work, keep their cars parked in their daytime spots until after the game.

There'd be way more options and not everyone would be going in the same direction, so getting out of a game would be more efficient than it is today.
I doubt the people who are arguing against this have the frame of mind to conceptualize that traffic from the game will be going North, South, East and West instead of just one direction. They're too closed minded to see beyond their own commute.

Reactions: Bileur

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Not me. But we have 3 trains, from the look of it, going every 6 minutes. 1800 people. One to Orleans, one West and one South. If everyone was on the train that would be 60 minutes to the last load of people. Then you factor in parking, Quebec and people walking out. Let's say 12000 people so probably 45 minutes. Not baaaaaad. But then factor in the actual transit and then drive and , yeah, you may be right that 90 minutes may be the end result. An hour more than what I am doing.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We’ve done this before. Conferation line can move 11K people an hour in EACH direction. O-Train going south and buses north are on top of that. The only transit capacity issue would be from Woodroofe and Moodie Transit stations to Barrhaven and Kanata by bus. It’s not an issue at all.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's not just a car culture in Ottawa. Ottawa has terrible public transit. I don't mind using public transit in other cities but I don't even consider riding the OC Transpo. It's garbage IMHO.
How is it worse than other cities? Can you provide some examples?

I don't take public transportation and am genuinely curious.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Not me. But we have 3 trains, from the look of it, going every 6 minutes. 1800 people. One to Orleans, one West and one South. If everyone was on the train that would be 60 minutes to the last load of people. Then you factor in parking, Quebec and people walking out. Let's say 12000 people so probably 45 minutes. Not baaaaaad. But then factor in the actual transit and then drive and , yeah, you may be right that 90 minutes may be the end result. An hour more than what I am doing.
Can you source that? The information we've got from the city is 10,700 per hour each way.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

No rail, or such limited rail that it doesn't make a big difference. Even when the current lrt opens, it doesn't connect as much of the city as it needs to.

A bus system that just isn't well designed. Long transfer times, convoluted routes to get somewhere simple. Not enough busses on core routes during busy times. They pack you in like sardines.

There are lots of places where a 10 minute drive takes an hour on the bus.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It can take me 90 minutes to get to work by bus. My office is 8 km from my home.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Panic at the Back

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

Ease of use. Whenever I have visited other major cities, public transportation just seemed so much more convenient. Montreal is a breeze. Toronto as well. Even over in cities I have visited in Europe and the UK.
But bus service is the lowest form of public transit. Maybe that’s my point, bus service is often terrible, no matter the city.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
No rail, or such limited rail that it doesn't make a big difference. Even when the current lrt opens, it doesn't connect as much of the city as it needs to.

A bus system that just isn't well designed. Long transfer times, convoluted routes to get somewhere simple. Not enough busses on core routes during busy times. They pack you in like sardines.

There are lots of places where a 10 minute drive takes an hour on the bus.

Ease of use. Whenever I have visited other major cities, public transportation just seemed so much more convenient. Montreal is a breeze. Toronto as well. Even over in cities I have visited in Europe and the UK.
But bus service is the lowest form of public transit. Maybe that’s my point, bus service is often terrible, no matter the city.

This. Bus transit is the worst. Almost to a rule.

Rail/light rail/subways crush it in high density places.

One of the most egregious failings I point rabid statists to has been the abject failure of developing high speed rail along the Toronto-Montreal corridor. A joke.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Toronto sucks unless you are lucky enough to live and work on one of the 2 subway lines. Buses are brutal. Montreal is awful except for tourists. New York is great, London is the best by far.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto sucks unless you are lucky enough to live and work on one of the 2 subway lines. Buses are brutal. Montreal is awful except for tourists. New York is great, London is the best by far.

New York’s infrastructure is crumbling but my god the coverage is unbelievable. You can get freaking anywhere.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I was just in London last month. People there were astonished that I drive to work downtown. I think they felt I must be some sort of eccentric. Lol

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

If your not willing to wait, I may know somebody willing to sell you a condo nearby.

He wants the cash up front though.

Reactions: coladin

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
...wth?

Those of us who are currently 1.5-2 hours away from CTC are bad fans for not giving Eugene our money on a consistent basis, but Kanata Superfans are too good to take the train downtown?

Holy shit man. All these years of the Orleans & further East crowd supporting this team grinding out the long drive is swept aside, but when something comes along that makes it easier for most folks in the region to attend games and it gets dumped on?

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018

London is not the best by far, but yes, it, along with most European cities, has a transit system that blows anything in North America out of the water.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
London is not the best by far, but yes, it, along with most European cities, has a transit system that blows anything in North America out of the water.
I’m curious what transit system is better than London. I obviosly haven’t tried them all and genuinely take transit into account when choosing where to travel.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I’m curious what transit system is better than London. I obviosly haven’t tried them all and genuinely take transit into account when choosing where to travel.

Singapore and Seoul are the two I have been to that I might consider better than London.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018

The Tube ain't super reliable. And that's not just my anecdotal experience. In Europe, I'd say Berlin, Paris and Vienna definitely have it beat.

But any mid-size European city is going to beat out 99% of what you see in NA, so don't worry. NYC has great coverage, but the MTA has a horrible rep for good reason.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Singapore and Seoul are the two I have been to that I might consider better than London.
Ah that makes sense. I haven’t spent any time in Asia yet. Really looking forward to Vietnam and Laos.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
...wth?

Those of us who are currently 1.5-2 hours away from CTC are bad fans for not giving Eugene our money on a consistent basis, but Kanata Superfans are too good to take the train downtown?

Holy **** man. All these years of the Orleans & further East crowd supporting this team grinding out the long drive is swept aside, but when something comes along that makes it easier for most folks in the region to attend games and it gets dumped on?
Wants to wait an hour in a parking lot in Kanata to get out after spending 20 dollars to park there but doesnt want to wait 20 minutes for a train downtown and pay $3.50. Logical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->