News Article: Devcore is willing

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
We are confident that our vision, tempered by the recent work of the NCC and the City will be embraced by all. With respect to hockey, the National Winter Sport of Canada, we will still include a portion of land adjacent to the LRT station reserved for the exclusive construction of an NHL arena. We do not believe Ottawa or Canada should be held hostage one day longer,” said Mr. Poulin.

OMFG ITS HAPPENING... Finally some good news to hit the sens world.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
"National Business Loves Making Money, Informs City It Will Gladly Assume Responsibility That Will Make Them A Lot Of Money."

I mean... of course they want back in. That's not surprising at all. This development is going to make a lot of wealthy people even wealthier than they already are.

I'm curious if:
1) NCC is willing to re-visit the original Devcore proposal before re-opening the bidding process again
2) Melnyk tries to wiggle the Sens into that original proposal (which, remember, had an arena) if there's the chance that the NCC just slides the Devcore plan into the "default winner" bracket of the process and start negotiations without a new competition.

It's good news, of course. Now we just need to see how the NCC & City react. Ball is in their court.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Lol...what the hell is this.

Oh sure, you mean that Devcore will deliver roughly the same project, except that instead of providing 50% of the proceed to Melnyk to build a stadium, they keep those profits and then offer Melnyk the land at a great price.

Or better put, we'll do Ruddy's half, and keep the land and Condo profits in a box under the bed until Melnyk cave's and decides to sell. This way we don't have any of the urgency Ruddy would have been under to build units before they sold, and by the time Melnyk decides to sell we'll have made enough to both buy the team AND build a stadium.

Why else would they set aside room for an arena if ^^^ was not the plan? FFS how is Melnyk not have enough from the condo's, team cash, his own cash (sorry, but cry me a river he has to put something in) to do this? Take on a minority shareholder if you have to but how do you let this opportunity go to waste. No way you ever get another spot in the city where most of your new stadium will get paid for by someone else.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
This is great and all, but I don't see this changing anything from Melnyk. Hope I'm wrong. If (when) Melnyk is officially cut out of the process, he'll probably just stubbornly stay in Kanata and renovate the CTC as needed. I'd be happy if someone could explain why I should be more optimistic though, I don't know a ton about this project.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
This is great and all, but I don't see this changing anything from Melnyk. Hope I'm wrong. If (when) Melnyk is officially cut out of the process, he'll probably just stubbornly stay in Kanata and renovate the CTC as needed. I'd be happy if someone could explain why I should be more optimistic though, I don't know a ton about this project.

When Devcore makes it public they want to buy the team when its for sale, im expecting the boycott and league pressure melnyk will be gone.

Reactions: ozgoode

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lol...what the hell is this.

Oh sure, you mean that Devcore will deliver roughly the same project, except that instead of providing 50% of the proceed to Melnyk to build a stadium, they keep those profits and then offer Melnyk the land at a great price.

Or better put, we'll do Ruddy's half, and keep the land and Condo profits in a box under the bed until Melnyk cave's and decides to sell. This way we don't have any of the urgency Ruddy would have been under to build units before they sold, and by the time Melnyk decides to sell we'll have made enough to both buy the team AND build a stadium.

Why else would they set aside room for an arena if ^^^ was not the plan? FFS how is Melnyk not have enough from the condo's, team cash, his own cash (sorry, but cry me a river he has to put something in) to do this? Take on a minority shareholder if you have to but how do you let this opportunity go to waste. No way you ever get another spot in the city where most of your new stadium will get paid for by someone else.

It means Melynk just lost 50% of the Lebreton revenues if Devcore takes over. The big baby should've played nice iwth Ruddy, now he's on the verge of watchign the Lebreton golden goose go to someone else.

Reactions: RyCam

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Ya I hope you're right. I'll be throwing a party when that day finally comes.
The only thing I worry about is that the NHL BoG do not like outsiders trying to force their way in (see Balsillie). They're very much an old boys club. While I can't imagine they like Eugene much, he did at least go through the proper channels of buying a team that was publicly up for sale.

I desperately want this to go in Devcore's favour as it would likely force Melnyk to sell while keeping the team here, I just worry about said old boys club's reaction.

Reactions: ozgoode

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
The only thing I worry about is that the NHL BoG do not like outsiders trying to force their way in (see Balsillie). They're very much an old boys club. While I can't imagine they like Eugene much, he did at least go through the proper channels of buying a team that was publicly up for sale.

I desperately want this to go in Devcore's favour as it would likely force Melnyk to sell while keeping the team here, I just worry about said old boys club's reaction.
I feel like I've read a lot about the other owners being tired of Melnyk, but maybe I'm making that up.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

I think Bettman would be on board.

He mentioned in an interview saying a downtown arena is vital to the success of the Ottawa Senators.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
OK now ditch that stupid car museum and we're game.
That's my big issue with Devcore's proposal: it's much too theme park like. I would imagine the NCC would ask them to rework the bid to be more community based while removing things like the aquarium and car museum. The beer museum I could actually see working.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Guy Laliberté is the guy who runs the circque who is also on devcore.

All the stories about his interest on the team, Melnyk acknowledging he had received offers on the team however "they weren't good" could be lining up.

Last edited:

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
It means Melynk just lost 50% of the Lebreton revenues if Devcore takes over. The big baby should've played nice iwth Ruddy, now he's on the verge of watchign the Lebreton golden goose go to someone else.

Or think about it the other way...Ruddy is losing out on 50% as well, and he is smart enough to know he was pushing Melnyk over the edge. It was literally spelled out to him in the summer. What makes a developer let go of the largest dev project of his career, in a once in a lifetime location, in his home city?

I find it very hard to believe that the line in the sand was over the money involved to cover slow sales due to 900.

Reactions: FlyingJ

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
The Circque guy Guy Laliberté on Devcore?

All the stories about his interest on the team, Melnyk acknowledging he had received offers on the team however "they weren't good" could be lining up.

This whole thing is becoming so ridiculously transparent.

Devcore offer 450 because it's what the team is worth today.
Melnyk want 650 because Seattle and Lebreton opportunity
Devcore says fine, you believe that it's worth 650 after lebreton, you go build it.
Melnyk can't afford to build it...but still wants 650.
Devcore says F.U., we'll build it and wait for you to go broke.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
This whole thing is becoming so ridiculously transparent.

Devcore offer 450 because it's what the team is worth today.
Melnyk want 650 because Seattle and Lebreton opportunity
Devcore says fine, you believe that it's worth 650 after lebreton, you go build it.
Melnyk can't afford to build it...but still wants 650.
Devcore says F.U., we'll build it and wait for you to go broke.

PS: I'm starting to warm to Devcore:)

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I feel like I've read a lot about the other owners being tired of Melnyk, but maybe I'm making that up.
True, but I think the BoG would see that this sets a dangerous, downright ruthless precedent for how franchises can be acquired. While Bettman and the BoG are likely fed up with Melnyk, their desire for stability for all likely outweighs that frustration.

Edit: I want Eugene gone and for this to happen. But I've been burned too many times with false hope.

Reactions: Smeddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->