Devan Dubnyk (Vezina & Masterton Finalist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
So even excluding the top end/elite guys (Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne), here are other starting goalies in the league:

Smith $5.6
Hiller $4.5
Scheider $6
Lehotonen $5.9
Halak $4.5
Howard $5.3
Fleury $5.75
Varlamov $5.9
Anderson $4.2
Bishop $5.9
Mason $4.1

And some people want to walk away if Dubnyk gets > $3? That number is in no way, shape or form realistic for somebody in his situation. If that's the case, he is long gone, and we'd better come to grips with the idea that our next couple of seasons are resting on somebody like Enroth or Ramo.

Overpaying a goalie obviously doesn't bring you success.
Imo both starting goalies in the SCF are not worth their money.

Holtby makes 1.85M, Andersen 1.15M and Blues pay their duo 3.3M.
So it is possible to get decent goaltending at a reasonable price.
Like Dubnyk for 0.8M.

I totally understand Dubnyk. He has not have a real paycheck so far. It might be his first and last huge contract.
If I were him, I'd wish for something in the 20-25M range for 4-5 years. Or even 30M for the rest of the career.
But, unfortunately we are the wrong team for this.
And there are not that many teams left, who are playoff bound and have enough cap room.

In the end we take Ramo and Raanta for 3-4M total, Dubs ends up in San Jose with 5M and everyone won't be too happy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Overpaying a goalie obviously doesn't bring you success.
Imo both starting goalies in the SCF are not worth their money.

Holtby makes 1.85M, Andersen 1.15M and Blues pay their duo 3.3M.
So it is possible to get decent goaltending at a reasonable price.
Like Dubnyk for 0.8M.

I totally understand Dubnyk. He has not have a real paycheck so far. It might be his first and last huge contract.
If I were him, I'd wish for something in the 20-25M range for 4-5 years. Or even 30M for the rest of the career.
But, unfortunately we are the wrong team for this.
And there are not that many teams left, who are playoff bound and have enough cap room.

In the end we take Ramo and Raanta for 3-4M total, Dubs ends up in San Jose with 5M and everyone won't be too happy.

Holtby and Andersen are still on their RFA deals, and are pretty much what we were counting on Kuemper being this year and beyond. They aren't comparables for a 29 year old UFA.

J22*

So even excluding the top end/elite guys (Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne), here are other starting goalies in the league:

Smith $5.6

Hiller $4.5
Scheider $6
Lehotonen $5.9
Halak $4.5
Howard $5.3
Fleury $5.75

Varlamov $5.9
Anderson $4.2
Bishop $5.9
Mason $4.1

And some people want to walk away if Dubnyk gets > $3? That number is in no way, shape or form realistic for somebody in his situation. If that's the case, he is long gone, and we'd better come to grips with the idea that our next couple of seasons are resting on somebody like Enroth or Ramo.

I would argue that the names in bold are contracts that their teams would rather not have right now.

How many of those guys got waived the year before they signed those deals?

How many of those guys were in the AHL the year before they signed those deals?

How many of those guys had a sub .890 SV% and 3.4+ GAA the year before they signed those deals?

Before this season with the Wild, Dubnyk was never more than an average starter at his best of times. 40 great games doesn't turn a $1M-$2M goalie into a $5M+ goalie IMO. $3M wouldn't be my "walk away" number, but I wouldn't give him more than $4M. Term is still the biggest thing for me though. No chance I would give him a long term deal after 40 games.

It's funny you mention Ramo and Enroth. How many hockey fans would've had both of them ranked ahead of Dubnyk 6 months ago?

Half a year?

He was solid most of his career with Edmonton. Sub 3 GAA and .914- .922 save percentage is nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah he definitely had a career year last year, but let's not pretend he was water trash before that.

Everybody worth anything is sub 3GAA. Dubnyk has played 6 seasons in the NHL. He was outstanding for 1 season, pretty good for 1 season and below average to terrible in the other 4.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Talent? Production? Bishop is a very good goalie, but he isn't worth anywhere near $6M.

Well he's been a top-5 goalie for the last 2 seasons (for example see Wins -category) and has led his team to the SCF this year. I don't know man, I'd pay $6M for Bishop easily. Tampa Bays D isn't even anything special, it's mostly Hedman and bunch of average dudes.

From my point of view, Bishops stats have been great and he's been excellent in all ways. My only grievance of Bishop is that sometimes he has communication breakdowns with his D-men.

jimbowman

Mar 19, 2013
PA is not where I'd go for specifics on anything outside of the Vikings.

I just caught the end of it and didn't know if there was a report from someone or just his speculation. Haven't head that from Russo so I'm asuming it was the latter.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if dubs decides to test free agency i'd say see ya! i gotta believe he comes to his senses and signs here for 3.5 mill x 3 maybe. or CF caves and offers him 4 mill (not what i would do).

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Gut feeling says he walks. Fletcher has his work cut out for him, because we can't keep wasting seasons with Parise and others in their prime. We saw what happened the first half of last year with horrible goaltending. If we go into this year with Backstrom and Kemps, we may as well consider it a lost season. We need a true starter.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Gut feeling says he walks. Fletcher has his work cut out for him, because we can't keep wasting seasons with Parise and others in their prime. We saw what happened the first half of last year with horrible goaltending. If we go into this year with Backstrom and Kemps, we may as well consider it a lost season. We need a true starter.

Luckily, there are several starters available... Lehner/Anderson, Bernier, Talbot, Niemi, Lack, Neuvirth, Lehtonen. A few more possibly.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Luckily, there are several starters available... Lehner/Anderson, Bernier, Talbot, Niemi, Lack, Neuvirth, Lehtonen. A few more possibly.

Would love Lehtonen, but not happening unless Dallas takes some of the cap hit. Too expensive. I want this team to have a real, solid starter, although several average goalies have succeeded for the Wild lately. A legit starter with a good pedigree would hopefully give the team some confidence, while the goalie would get to enjoy the nice defensive system in front of him. It's time to stop the goalie carousel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad