Devan Dubnyk (Vezina & Masterton Finalist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
as far as backs , i blame the team doctors & goalie coaches for giving CF the green light to re-sign backs. i cant believe CF would have re-signed him knowing he wasn't close to 100%. as for dubnyk i'd play hardball with him!

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
In the real world you don't get to do a surgery that you claim you had all season to repair your elbow just prior to the ability to buy out contracts would come up to save you from being the one with a pink slip.

He knows exactly what he was doing and by the sounds of the front office they didn't have a damn clue he was even going in for it. I hope they just scratch him every single game and don't even allow him in the building now.

Breaking news

A buyout wouldn't help us cap-wise...:shakehead

J22*

There's a quote on the trade board that says Chiarelli thinks there a chance he could have his goalie by friday. If that sets off a bit of a trend of teams trading their sought after backups, Dubnyk might run out of leverage quick.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Chicago looks like it has to part ways with some significant assets. That's not a year to waste.
Yeah right. They'll still have Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Saad, and Seabrook. We'll still lose because Patrick Kane can defeat us what seems like by himself.
Breaking news

A buyout wouldn't help us cap-wise...:shakehead

It still takes up a roster spot.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
The Dubnyk situation sure isn't looking good, that's for sure.

And here I was so optimistic because Duby and the Wild loved eachother so much during the run, both sides said they wanted to be back, it seemed like a sweetheart deal that was reasonable to both sides would be inevitable.

But I guess we simply can't have nice things.

I blame Backstrom, and Fletcher for signing him to that anchor of a contract. Willing to bet if Backstrom wasn't in the mix we'd be willing to give Dubnyk a contract closer to what he wants than whatever it is we're offering now because we'd have 3 million extra cap and an extra roster spot. Backstrom consumes both without giving any value back.

Led the league in wins in the shortened season. Can't really blame Fletcher for re-signing Backstrom to a 3-year deal after that, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Harding at the time. Money was fine as well, the guy had just led the league in wins.

can't blame Nik for signing the contract that was put in front of him. If my boss came up to me and said "guess what, you're getting a huge raise!, just want you to stick around for a few more years." I'm going to sign the paperwork so I can get my cash.

He took a pay-cut. After leading the league in wins.

A novel idea is: Why don't we just play Backstrom and Kuemper (and we cut free of Dubnyk)?

We paid Backstrom...let's play him.

Well I saw how the team played in front of him last year, could've been prime Dominik Hasek and he would've probably struggled to win games. I'm not saying Backstrom played great but the team had 0 confidence playing in front of him. Hard to believe that would change.

as far as backs , i blame the team doctors & goalie coaches for giving CF the green light to re-sign backs. i cant believe CF would have re-signed him knowing he wasn't close to 100%. as for dubnyk i'd play hardball with him!

Yeah, should've cut ties with the league leader in wins to replace him with Nikolai Khabbibulin, Tim Thomas, or Evgeni Nabokov. Or we're we banking on Josh Harding to never have a complication again and take a gamble on some type of combination of Thomas Greiss, Jeremy Smith, Michael Hutchinson(nowhere near the guy he is now), Anton Khudobin, Jason Labarbera, Ray Emery, Yann Danis, Richard Bachman, Dan Ellis(#problems), Carter Hutton, Chad Johnson, or Mike McKenna. We didn't have the assets to acquire Cory Schneider.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
I can certainly blame GMCF for giving Backstrom three years instead of two or one.

And risk losing him and replacing him with Nabokov? Tim Thomas? Thomas Greiss? I listed all the options, Backstrom was quite clearly the best we could do at the time. Don't think he would've signed a 1 or 2 year deal without testing free agency.

I guess 2 years 10M would've got it done, then we don't get Vanek last offseason and are no longer tied to Backstrom, which I guess alot of people here would prefer.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
saywut, how do you explain backstroms GAA declining on a defensive minded team? at the time we signed backs he seemed like a reasonably priced experienced netminder provided he was healthy enough to get the job done. whether it was age or health hes played poorly and not stood on his head when we needed him to. ps how do you know there wasnt a dubnyk type goalie CF could have wrangled?

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I'm a Backs fan. And I thought three years was too much. He was already declining badly, his groins were mashed potatoes. Shortened season helped though.

Now it has backfired (pun intended). The risk has been realized. Wild would do something with the roster spot and cap space.

Unless Bäckström can play center?

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
saywut, how do you explain backstroms GAA declining on a defensive minded team? at the time we signed backs he seemed like a reasonably priced experienced netminder provided he was healthy enough to get the job done. whether it was age or health hes played poorly and not stood on his head when we needed him to. ps how do you know there wasnt a dubnyk type goalie CF could have wrangled?

Where have I said he wasn't declining? Its quite clear he has in the past 2 seasons, though injuries may be the only reason he has. But there wasn't a better option in 2013 than him, and 3 years for ~10M was very reasonable for a goaltender who had just led the league in wins.

The team has clearly played poorer in front of him than his counterparts. People made this excuse for Harding all those years and its the same thing with Backstrom since his injury before game 1 against Chicago in 2013. Lets not act like Bryz/Kuemper in 13-14 were eons better than Backstrom because of wins and losses, they were better because the team showed up for them. Just like the team showed up for Dubnyk this year when he was acquired. If that team had shown up for Backs I'm not sure we have to make that deal.

Why do I think there wasn't a Dubs to acquire in the 2013 offseason? Well I listed all the free agents and Schneider was the only trade. If another team wanted to move a goalie badly they would've, but that didn't happen. Dubs was hurting Phoenix's chances at a lottery pick so they were trying to move him. I would've been furious if we moved on from the league leader in wins to signed a washed-up Khabibulin or Tim Thomas who had just taken a year off. Nabokov re-signed with the Islanders so I don't even know if we could've got him, but where is he now? Retired like the other 2. After that the list is just atrocious, I mean Jeremy Smith might've been the highest rated guy left at that point in time, and lots of people here probably never heard of the guy.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm a Backs fan. And I thought three years was too much. He was already declining badly, his groins were mashed potatoes. Shortened season helped though.

Now it has backfired (pun intended). The risk has been realized. Wild would do something with the roster spot and cap space.

Unless Bäckström can play center?
Our only hope is that some team is desperate to get rid of a player and are willing to take Backstrom off our hands to do it...

Either that, or some team thinks he'd be a good enough backup for what they need, and we can keep 2/3's of his salary to entice them for it.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Our only hope is that some team is desperate to get rid of a player and are willing to take Backstrom off our hands to do it...

Either that, or some team thinks he'd be a good enough backup for what they need, and we can keep 2/3's of his salary to entice them for it.

There are other things that can happen.Backstrom knows his time with the Wild (and very likely the NHL) is over and his agent has asked for and recieved permission to talk to other teams.Backstrom wants to continue to play,maybe he decides to sign for a team in Finland and finish his career at home,I believe this would dissolve his contract with the Wild and any salary cap ramifications.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There are other things that can happen.Backstrom knows his time with the Wild (and very likely the NHL) is over and his agent has asked for and recieved permission to talk to other teams.Backstrom wants to continue to play,maybe he decides to sign for a team in Finland and finish his career at home,I believe this would dissolve his contract with the Wild and any salary cap ramifications.

Actually, that's where the Wild retaining 2/3's salary came from... Backstrom is shopping his services to the rest of the NHL to play for $1mil, if so, he'd agree to a 2/3's buyout.

If he doesn't get that, he won't accept the partial buyout. Also, if we don't have anyone going to arbitration, we don't get the 2nd buyout window anyway, and we'd have to hope for a 2/3's salary retention in a trade scenario instead.

Backstrom will not just "dissolve" his contract, as he has zero motivation to do so.

He will either be in the NHL here... or in the NHL for another team this year... He will not completely walk away from $4mil.

Also, since he signed over 35... there is no way his salary cap is completely off the books... even if the contract was dissolved due to retirement.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Actually, that's where the Wild retaining 2/3's salary came from... Backstrom is shopping his services to the rest of the NHL to play for $1mil, if so, he'd agree to a 2/3's buyout.

If he doesn't get that, he won't accept the partial buyout. Also, if we don't have anyone going to arbitration, we don't get the 2nd buyout window anyway, and we'd have to hope for a 2/3's salary retention in a trade scenario instead.

Backstrom will not just "dissolve" his contract, as he has zero motivation to do so.

He will either be in the NHL here... or in the NHL for another team this year... He will not completely walk away from $4mil.

Also, since he signed over 35... there is no way his salary cap is completely off the books... even if the contract was dissolved due to retirement.

Is there a team that takes him even at $1 mil.?Maybe but I would be surprised,I think it is more likely a team would take him at his full contract to reach the floor,though this is unlikely as well.The only way I see him playing any meaningful hockey next year is in another league;Finland,KHL,etc...

From what I understand he wants to continue his career.Would he want to do that at the cost of a couple of million dollars?Who knows.If he were to sign with a team in Finland or the KHL I'm pretty sure that would void his NHL contract and cap ramifications.

I think the Wild should play a bit of hard ball with him.Make it clear that they will not buy out his contract and he will not even suit up for any games and will see very little if any ice time even in practices.This may encourage him to try to find another avenue to continue his career,either in the NHL or another league or retire.Sitting for an entire year at this stage of his career would probably mean the end of his career.Of course he could do nothing and take up a roster spot for the entire year which would be bad as well.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Continue his career....

If he means continue his career in Europe, we're stuck with 100% of his cap. He walks away from $4mil... little to no chance of happening.

He can continue his career, fail to be traded, and be stuck on our roster all season... he collects his full $4mil and plays in Europe the following season after retiring from the NHL.

He can continue his career... manage to somehow get a team to take him with the Wild retaining 2/3's of his salary... likely sit with them without playing most nights and collect $4mil before retiring and continue playing in Europe after.

I don't see him walking away from his last real significant salary though in any scenario. He will be getting $4mil this year... even if he manages to get bought out for 2/3's of his salary... he'll then sign in Europe for $1mil or near it.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Continue his career....

If he means continue his career in Europe, we're stuck with 100% of his cap. He walks away from $4mil... little to no chance of happening.

He can continue his career, fail to be traded, and be stuck on our roster all season... he collects his full $4mil and plays in Europe the following season after retiring from the NHL.

He can continue his career... manage to somehow get a team to take him with the Wild retaining 2/3's of his salary... likely sit with them without playing most nights and collect $4mil before retiring and continue playing in Europe after.

I don't see him walking away from his last real significant salary though in any scenario. He will be getting $4mil this year... even if he manages to get bought out for 2/3's of his salary... he'll then sign in Europe for $1mil or near it.
I think signing another contract with a team in Europe would void his current contract. The reality of the situation is we are probably going to have his cap hit next year.I certainly hope we can fob him off to another team and get some cap relief, I'm just not super confident that will happen.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think signing another contract with a team in Europe would void his current contract. The reality of the situation is we are probably going to have his cap hit next year.I certainly hope we can fob him off to another team and get some cap relief, I'm just not super confident that will happen.

That's why I said the only way he goes there is if he gets bought out... which isn't likely to happen since we're very unlikely to have the 2nd buyout window in the first place.

I did mention him retiring from the NHL and going to Europe... but then as I mentioned, he'd have to walk away from $4mil... and he simply won't do that.... we still get stuck with the cap hit though anyway.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011

No european team can make a contract with him when he is under NHL-contract. Maybe some KHL-team, but not others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->