Devan Dubnyk (Vezina & Masterton Finalist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Obviously, but now we're targeting his flaws and saying he's a product of our system. Just Minnesota fans preparing for disappointment I guess.

It's no secret out team played very very poorly when he came in, its no secret that before the tumble that ended up a nose dive our team was a beast on defense and its no secret that after Duby came in the players started to play that way again.

Sure he did good, but it's not like the team as a whole found their second wind and played great in front of him.

I would like him back but not if he wants his payday, let another team make that mistake

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
history shows us many goalies that had a hotstreak or fantastic season only to cool off and play average hockey the rest of their career.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
history shows us many goalies that had a hotstreak or fantastic season only to cool off and play average hockey the rest of their career.

Pretty much this, If he wants to show it sure take a 1 year deal and show it, it be ok to pay him a high one year deal because its only a year. But no way do i feel comfortable paying him big money and term on half a season with a really solid team infront of him.

And lets not kid our selves, Wild did/do have a solid regular season team when they play their game, they can play quite well.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

There is only 1-3 elite goalies in the league. The rest are all pretty much average. The two goalies in the cup final are pretty much league average goalies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Well, Russo reported that he's heard talks in the $5 million range, so I was wrong. Can't give him that. Hopefully those are just starting discussions and they meet somewhere in the $4 million range.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Sorry, but if the Wild pay anything over 3.5 year for Dubs, they are setting themselves up for failure. We cannot commit that kind of money to a goalie. Not with the other financial decisions looming this year and next on puck carrying UFAs

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I'm going to take it like a man and just watch this thing happen. It's not like we're going to have any kind of an effect for this signing. Or pretty much to anything that's going to happen. Maybe we'll sign Dub for 4.9m/5 years, so be it. Maybe we'll let him go, so be it.

Or do you guys think we should go full Roy and play 6v5 without goalie whole games?

Because never go full Roy. Never.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think we HAVE to find a way to get rid of Backstrom to get the cap room to sign Dubnyk. Otherwise I don't think it gets done.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I am scared about this. I mean its one thing to overpay for one year, but another to do so long term.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So even excluding the top end/elite guys (Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne), here are other starting goalies in the league:

Smith $5.6
Hiller $4.5
Scheider $6
Lehotonen $5.9
Halak $4.5
Howard $5.3
Fleury $5.75
Varlamov $5.9
Anderson $4.2
Bishop $5.9
Mason $4.1

And some people want to walk away if Dubnyk gets > $3? That number is in no way, shape or form realistic for somebody in his situation. If that's the case, he is long gone, and we'd better come to grips with the idea that our next couple of seasons are resting on somebody like Enroth or Ramo.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
So even excluding the top end/elite guys (Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne), here are other starting goalies in the league:

Smith $5.6
Hiller $4.5
Scheider $6
Lehotonen $5.9
Halak $4.5
Howard $5.3
Fleury $5.75
Varlamov $5.9
Anderson $4.2
Bishop $5.9
Mason $4.1

And some people want to walk away if Dubnyk gets > $3? That number is in no way, shape or form realistic for somebody in his situation. If that's the case, he is long gone, and we'd better come to grips with the idea that our next couple of seasons are resting on somebody like Enroth or Ramo.

Yeah but man some of those guys are not living up to their money, if we didn't have the youth that will need deals i'd be more inclined to go with Duby, but he put together half of a year, thats not enough to go tossing money and term at him.

Just a brew for disaster

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm going to take it like a man and just watch this thing happen. It's not like we're going to have any kind of an effect for this signing. Or pretty much to anything that's going to happen. Maybe we'll sign Dub for 4.9m/5 years, so be it. Maybe we'll let him go, so be it.

Or do you guys think we should go full Roy and play 6v5 without goalie whole games?

Because never go full Roy. Never.
Yes.
I think 3 years $13.5M is a good, fair deal.

I think so too.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Yeah but man some of those guys are not living up to their money, if we didn't have the youth that will need deals i'd be more inclined to go with Duby, but he put together half of a year, thats not enough to go tossing money and term at him.

Just a brew for disaster

Half a year?

He was solid most of his career with Edmonton. Sub 3 GAA and .914- .922 save percentage is nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah he definitely had a career year last year, but let's not pretend he was water trash before that.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I bet it's not a massive gap right now between both camps...I bet GMCF started out at like, 3 yrs $12 and Dubnyk's camp wanted 5 yrs and $23 ish. Knowing how Fletch wants to crack down on term in deals, I'm guessing that might be the sticking point. Let's just do 4 yrs $18 mil and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad