Player Discussion Devan Dubnyk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think the motivating force for Dubnyk will be to prove that he really is a good goalie who was stuck in mediocrity by virtue of playing for Edmonton. Hopefully that's a big enough chip on his shoulder. That and wanting to get deeper into the playoffs and challenge for a cup.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Probably just a logistical thing...people being out of town etc, thus not able to physically sign the deal officially until then.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the motivating force for Dubnyk will be to prove that he really is a good goalie who was stuck in mediocrity by virtue of playing for Edmonton. Hopefully that's a big enough chip on his shoulder. That and wanting to get deeper into the playoffs and challenge for a cup.

he seems pretty laid back. Not a very driven character.

I hope that Kuemper gets a chip on his shoulder and starts to work his ass off and try to take the starter's job away from Doobs.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I hope that Kuemper gets a chip on his shoulder and starts to work his ass off and try to take the starter's job away from Doobs.

Hopefully so much that he can net us a 1st rounder in the future. That would be great.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm all for a goalie controversy that involves a situation where both goalies are deserving of #1 minutes.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN

This is really, really, strange comment (to put it nicely). Having a laid back personality and being driven are mutually exclusive. Yes, he's laid back when talking to the media, but he also continuously talks about continuing to get better and not resting on his successes.

You don't go from almost out of the league to a Vezina candidate without being driven.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is really, really, strange comment (to put it nicely). Having a laid back personality and being driven are mutually exclusive. Yes, he's laid back when talking to the media, but he also continuously talks about continuing to get better and not resting on his successes.

You don't go from almost out of the league to a Vezina candidate without being driven.

Or...maybe he was never as bad as his year made him look, being a mental victim of the Oilers defense eventually got to him, and he just got his head back on straight this year whilst playing behind a much more talented team defensively.

Everyone goes into a slump at some point. A goalie in Edmonton will look extra bad in a slump. He just got back to where he was previously. Small gap between above average like Duuuuuuuuubs is normally and elite like his vezina finalist implies he must've been (but likely didn't have to be).

ryan519*

How do you guys think Dubnyk will do in this upcoming season? Better, worse, about the same?

hipchecks

#MakeStaalGreatAgain
Mar 3, 2015
Minnesota
He most likely won't put up Vezina type numbers again, which is perfectly fine as long as the team in front of him is playing well.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Suppose that he'll be somewhere from 7th to 17th in Save%. I mean not in top5 but not worse than 20th. Don't get me wrong, even mediocrity would be fine for this team. Everything else is bonus.

Last (regular) season's end was a miracle. Won't happen again.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I'm thinking he'll be top 10 in SV% and GAA most of the year.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
If he's healthy all season and objectively worthy of being a starter, it's a drastic improvement over what we've had recently.

We shouldn't need a Vezina caliber goalie, we absolutely need stability at the position for once.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
So... Braden Holtby just received $6.1mil/yr as a RFA for 6 years. Fletch got Dubnyk at $4.33mil/yr as a UFA for 6 years.

Can we all reach a consensus that GMCF did a great job with the Dubnyk deal?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Yeah, that Holtby deal is going to look like a steal on the last year, whereas Dubnyk could probably look overpaid by his last year.

J22*

So... Braden Holtby just received $6.1mil/yr as a RFA for 6 years. Fletch got Dubnyk at $4.33mil/yr as a UFA for 6 years.

You're going to have to wait 3-4 years before you can even think about saying that Dubnyk's deal is great.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Considering the divide on this board when the contract was announced? Not likely... many of us are tolerant of the deal though.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

We'll see next year when we see if Duby keeps his play on or near the same level as he was this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad