Player Discussion Devan Dubnyk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Shoot Dubnyk to the moon, sign Brodeur from retirement.

Franchise goalia am I right? RIGHT?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Part of me is thinking that Dubnyk and his agent have been holding onto their high demands up to this point to try and get Fletcher to cave on more money and term before the NHL Awards tonight. I'm pretty sure they, and everyone else on the planet, know that Price is getting the Vezina but I wonder if part of their posturing is saying that Dubnyk still has a chance to get the Vezina and they aren't going to compromise on those demands until Price is actually holding that trophy. I mean, Dubnyk is still a Vezina finalist regardless of the outcome, but officially losing that race means he loses some of that leverage and maybe we get a deal done soon after tonight.

This is another reason I think that Dubnyk's demands are unrealistic. The goalie market is actually fairly saturated at this point and the Wild definitely have alternatives to overpaying Dubnyk. If a fair deal can't be reached with Dubnyk, I'd be all for going after someone like Robin Lehner and it sounds like he can probably be had for less than his actual value.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
CITt5jBUwAAFLcx.png

4th in Hart Voting

$$$

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Almost certain he's gonna be in a Wild sweater next season.
As long as the contract is REASONABLE though. We can't afford a hefty contract and then have him stumble next year. Then again, anything is better than Backstrom and Kemps as our only options. But we can't have our hands tied with the cap.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Just shows how crazy our goalie situation has been the last couple years.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Pass on duby pay Niemi 4mil

He wants to find a way to get it done, 2x4, ask for 5+ after those two years he shows he can play that good again.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Let's say we get him for $4 mil. What is everyone's opinion on the term? I am really unsure if I want him for more than 5 years. 5 is really the tipping point for me.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Let's say we get him for $4 mil. What is everyone's opinion on the term? I am really unsure if I want him for more than 5 years. 5 is really the tipping point for me.

At $4 mill, it'd have to be 5 years. Anything more and I'd want his cap hit to be down closer to $3.5.

Not over over $4mil/yr he won't.

The way they're talking, they'll figure it out. Whether it be more term less money or more money less term.

I think 5 yrs, $20 million is fair.

A $4 million AAV really isn't going to break our bank and with the way starting goalies get paid, I don't think it could backfire that terribly. Even if he was posting an average save percentage, it wouldn't be a bad deal.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
At $4 mill, it'd have to be 5 years. Anything more and I'd want his cap hit to be down closer to $3.5.

The way they're talking, they'll figure it out. Whether it be more term less money or more money less term.

I think 5 yrs, $20 million is fair.

A $4 million AAV really isn't going to break our bank and with the way starting goalies get paid, I don't think it could backfire that terribly. Even if he was posting an average save percentage, it wouldn't be a bad deal.
$4mil AAV is the max I personally would be willing to even give ANY goaltender in this day and age.

Too little drop off between the #1 goaltender and the #10 goaltender.

Even less drop off between the #10 goaltender and the #30 goaltender.

Duuuuuuubs is a big example. He went from starting "adequate" goalie to scrap heap to backup reclamation to Vezina Finalist and Masterton award winner, all in a year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His mediocre playoff showing has really made me lukewarm, in a banana/10 kind of way, about a long term deal with him.

At this point the Wild are all about how far they get in the playoffs. He has not proved he is a good PO goalie, to me.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

Yeah, 5 years puts him at 34 years old and that's around the time we should be moving on from a guy like Dubnyk. That's about where my comfort limit is at.

I would think that term would also be more important to Dubnyk than the cap hit. He's getting his payday now because he knows just exactly what it's like to wonder where the next paycheck is going to come from. I think giving him a 5 year deal would allow us to give him somewhere between $3.5-4 mil per year and make everyone happy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I think 4 x $4M is fair for both sides. If we had to go 5 years, then fine, I don't think a better option is going to present itself in that time anyway.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
So much depends on the term. I'm thinking it's going to be something like $4.0m/5 years, $4.5/4 years or $5m/2-3 years.

But we'll see. I wouldn't be against paying him 5 mill on a short term contract, but if we can get him for less, I'd be happy.

Congratulations on winning the Masterton!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So much depends on the term. I'm thinking it's going to be something like $4.0m/5 years, $4.5/4 years or $5m/2-3 years.

But we'll see. I wouldn't be against paying him 5 mill on a short term contract, but if we can get him for less, I'd be happy.

Congratulations on winning the Masterton!

Again...anything over $4 mil and I'd rather walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->