GDT: Detroit @ Washington - 10.29.14 7:30 PM - NBCSN

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Great post! I mostly agree.

What is going unnoticed by most was Datsyuk's prep for this shot: a throw-back to the old Russian 5; his movements drew the Caps total attention... hypnotized them... and then he let loose... hitting a spot less than one square foot.

Abby's undressing of Burbavosky (I think it was him) and quick flip into the net, to me, is hardly something you lay on Holtby.

What I saw were 2 teams that are fundamentally different in one important aspect:

DRW came in prepared to play 60 minutes, and did.

Caps came in and repeated a script we've seen for many, many years: they lost interest in the 3rd period.

And sorry to p'off BC, but common sense would tell most that if you're only willing to play 40 minutes, at least, make those 40 minutes the last 40 minutes of the game!

Watching the Pens, Flyers, and DRW so far, I'm impressed most by the coaches. In the games I've seen, they've already got their team committed to playing full 60 minute efforts.

Even with a new coach, our players aren't willing to do this. We can blame Oates and others, new systems, etc., all we like, but the new broom hasn't swept clean.

The Wings were awful for the first 20 minutes. You're so bias it is funny. Even the announcers mentioned Babcock being upset they weren't moving their feet enough. If it wasn't for Howard in the first the Capitals would have had a large lead.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Holtby makes great saves quite often and receives little credit... but he has definitely developed a tendency to let them in late in periods or games. This is mental. He is choking because his confidence has been destroyed by Oates. It's Korn's job to build it back up.

or he's just not consistent. Every NHL goalie can make great saves. The thing that separates them is consistency, and Holtby hasn't shown a shred of it. He lets in way too many goals that the Caps would not have scored on with the same shot at the other end.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
or he's just not consistent. Every NHL goalie can make great saves. The thing that separates them is consistency, and Holtby hasn't shown a shred of it. He lets in way too many goals that the Caps would not have scored on with the same shot at the other end.

Inconsistency would suggest he lets in odd goals randomly. I don't think it's that so much as his confidence is shot and that means letting goals in pressure situations (late in the period, late in the game, right after a score, breakaways where he has time to think..."oh ****, not this again"). Those are the times he's looked his worst.

Last edited:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Alan May ranted about that last night, the get Kuznetzov some skill to work with instead of Beagle.

So...

Ovie - Backstrom - Kuznetzov
Mojo - Burakovsky - Brouwer
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
OBrien - Latta - Wilson

Stick Beagle in there for Fehr if the Fehr's a winger not a center thing bugs you. Or move Latta up and Beagle to the 4th, whatever.

Those top two lines seem unbalanced to me. Wouldn't this be more preferable:

Ovie - Backstrom - Brower
Mojo - Burakovsky - Kuztnetzov

Now your top two are as dangerous as it gets.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
The Wings were awful for the first 20 minutes. You're so bias it is funny. Even the announcers mentioned Babcock being upset they weren't moving their feet enough. If it wasn't for Howard in the first the Capitals would have had a large lead.

Pretty much this.

I'd say you guys controlled the first half of the game. It was pretty even the second half of the second period. The third period was tilted in the Wings favor.

I also agree that it's a different game, despite the waved off goal, if it wasn't for Howard the first 30 minutes of the game. I think he's a pretty underrated goalie IMO. So Him playing the way he did is no surprise. He does it regularly. Last season was, for him, was more or less out of the ordinary than what you saw last night. Found out he had another kid that season. /shrug

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Alan May ranted about that last night, the get Kuznetzov some skill to work with instead of Beagle.

So...

Mojo - Burakovsky - Brouwer
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
OBrien - Latta - Wilson

Stick Beagle in there for Fehr if the Fehr's a winger not a center thing bugs you. Or move Latta up and Beagle to the 4th, whatever.

If you swap Brown for Wilson (because Wilson was hurt) and Laich for OBrien (because Laich wasn't hurt), that's the exact combos I wanted in pre season. Then they insisted Kuz was a C so I started putting Ward at 1RW.

I do worry those combos make the top line too soft but it's very skilled. The 2nd and 3rd lines have had good moments together and this:

(Laich/OBrien/Brown/Beagle) - Latta - Wilson

...is a PITA line to play against.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Mojo - Burakovsky - Wilson
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
OBrien - Latta - Brouwer

When Laich comes back:

Chimera - Fehr - Ward
Latta - Laich - Brouwer

I assume Latta can play wing. If not, shuffle a bit in the bottom 6. That top 6 is where this is all heading. I know Laich and Brouwer are supposedly the Toxic Twins but it's the 4th line. They'll be playing 8 minutes against the mascot and two mites with the flu.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Those top two lines seem unbalanced to me. Wouldn't this be more preferable:

Ovie - Backstrom - Brower
Mojo - Burakovsky - Kuztnetzov

Now your top two are as dangerous as it gets.

No no no no no no no no no no

Please, no more Brouwer on the 1st line. Ever.

And that's actually more unbalanced. You have 3 of our stronger players (minus Backstrom maybe, but he's pretty strong too) on the first line, with three soft speed/skill guys on the 2nd line. I'd much rather 8-19-92, 90-65-20.

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
You can't have a top 6 that is "as dangerous" as it gets, if Fehr, Brouwer or Ward's name is in it. Doesn't matter who the other guys are. That 1st line RW position has been a blackhole since game 1 this season. I like the idea of putting Kuznetsov on the top line.

Burakovsky95*

I also think it's obvious we need an upgrade on either Brouwer or Johansson. Not sure who exactly would be available this early on or who might become available as the season progresses but I feel like it's going to be a necessary move.

Winnipeg has a few guys with Wheeler, Kane, Little or Ladd. Edmonton might let go of Eberle for the right price. Maybe the Avs fall out of it and make ROR available. We could always reunite with our good buddy in Carolina, Mr. Semin :sarcasm:

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Pretty much this.

I'd say you guys controlled the first half of the game. It was pretty even the second half of the second period. The third period was tilted in the Wings favor.

I also agree that it's a different game, despite the waved off goal, if it wasn't for Howard the first 30 minutes of the game. I think he's a pretty underrated goalie IMO. So Him playing the way he did is no surprise. He does it regularly. Last season was, for him, was more or less out of the ordinary than what you saw last night. Found out he had another kid that season. /shrug

Agreed. Wings definitely took it to the Capitals in the third and Howard is probably the most underrated goalie in the league.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

Awful? I don't think that assessment is that far off.

But they kept plugging, and turned it around.

That's quite different than saying they quit, or phoned it in.

That being said, Babcock has his team buying into his system for the entire game. We don't. Worse, we haven't... for some time, maybe since BB.

Also, I make no apologies for being a fan of both teams. If I didn't, you guys would say "some hockey fan, he's not even loyal to his hometown."

And you know you would.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
After re-reading, when I say "Awful? I don't think that assessment is that far off" what I mean that that 'you' are not far off in that assessment.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
When Laich comes back:

Chimera - Fehr - Ward
Latta - Laich - Brouwer

Like these lines too. Biggest concern is with Wilson -- he is not a lock, not just yet.

Halpysback*

You can't put Kuz in as the top line RW, not even for one game, for the same reason you couldn't put Erat as an Ovechkin-Backstrom RW even for one game. This reason should be very obvious to seasoned hockey fans.

Burakovsky95*

You can't put Kuz in as the top line RW, not even for one game, for the same reason you couldn't put Erat as an Ovechkin-Backstrom RW even for one game. This reason should be very obvious to seasoned hockey fans.

What on earth are you talking about? Are you trying to say that the line would be too soft because that's stupid.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Agreed. Wings definitely took it to the Capitals in the third and Howard is probably the most underrated goalie in the league.

What? That's quite small sample size considering that if Babcock wasn't still in charge he would have started this season as Mrazek's backup.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
What would be willing to give? You know 95% of there fan base will ask for Bura.

Wheeler wouldn't be available anyway, but since Burakovsky is currently outscoring Wheeler overall and at even strength, it'd have to be no deal. Giving up the player who is scoring more is not how to fix an offense.

As for what I would be willing to give up, I'd do Kuznetsov + Orlov + 1st.

Last edited:

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
What? That's quite small sample size considering that if Babcock wasn't still in charge he would have started this season as Mrazek's backup.

No. Mrazek still has a lot to learn. .857 in the AHL, or something like that, currently.

.924 Top six in vezina voting
.908 Sophomore slump Howard gets a pass just like very other pro in existence.
.923 All-star year. Top six in vezina voting
.920 top 8 in vezina voting
.910 His only average season. It wasn't bad, but merely average.

Howard is off to another typical start that he usually has. He'll probably have another .920+ season.

Underrated, as the guy has been playing for a declining team with awful defense for 3+ seasons. You also don't throw a goalie who puts up those stats as a back up to a rookie goaltender. No way. No how. He's a legit starter, and will most likely be traded before playing second fiddle.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad