GDT: Detroit @ Washington - 10.29.14 7:30 PM - NBCSN

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Three bad turnovers in the middle of the ice. That's gonna kill you against just about any team.

The first period was as smothering as we've seen the Caps in a long, long time.

They're nine games into a new system under a coach with different expectations than they've had, with two rookies playing significant forward minutes.

There's absolutely no reason to be worried at this point or to draw any conclusions.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
One conclusion I'm going to draw is...Burakovsky is a keeper. Get him a real ****ing number already.
Ain't happening.

andre-burakovsky-malmo.jpg

andre-burakovsky-malmo2.jpg

andre-burakovsky1.jpg

I bet he goes the John Carlson route and keeps his terrible training camp number.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They are just nine games in but I think you do have to question just how much these forwards have to give and their general instincts. Poor habits have to be replaced with better habits and that takes another gear both physically and mentally. (It also takes 8/19 raising their level of play by example...something we haven't really seen lately.) They get a lot of chances thanks to defensive play and skating legs but they need more crispness and cohesion to make the system pop. It's still too free-flowing, not overly explosive and lacking a net/slot presence hunger.

As-is you'd take your chances most nights since they're mostly outchancing the opposition but this forward group overall and their overall attack mentality is fairly mediocre. It's still much too individualistic, even when they're not playing frustrated or chasing the game. Without learning better habits on the puck and attacking more explosively as a team they're wasting their game-to-game D advantage.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
They are just nine games in but I think you do have to question just how much these forwards have to give and their general instincts. Poor habits have to be replaced with better habits and that takes another gear both physically and mentally. (It also takes 8/19 raising their level of play by example...something we haven't really seen lately.) They get a lot of chances thanks to defensive play and skating legs but they need more crispness and cohesion to make the system pop. It's still too free-flowing, not overly explosive and lacking a net/slot presence hunger.

As-is you'd take your chances most nights since they're mostly outchancing the opposition but this forward group overall and their overall attack mentality is fairly mediocre. It's still much too individualistic, even when they're not playing frustrated or chasing the game. Without learning better habits on the puck and attacking more explosively as a team they're wasting their game-to-game D advantage.

Sounds about right.

What do the Caps' forwards currently excel at, compared to other teams? Firepower? Smothering pressure? Effort? Cycling? Aggressiveness? Discipline? Execution? Consistency? Depth? Hockey IQ?

I only see firepower and depth as potential advantages, but the firepower is not (yet) there as a consistent factor. In terms of other things, don't think the Caps have the personnel for it, although hopefully things like discipline and execution can be brought up to decent levels. But principally, I see the main potential strength of this forward corps is 4 solid lines that are decent defensively and are all providing fairly consistent offense. Until that happens, the other defects tilt the balance towards other teams' advantages, whether it's ability to cycle, or better execution, or whatever.

It's hard to see the Caps getting anywhere without Ovi and Backstrom being a more consistent force, whether together or apart. But since those guys are not going anywhere, and if line shuffling doesn't yield effective combos, eventually the Caps will have to continue to search for better-fitting complementary players. To me, the obvious candidates to try to somehow upgrade would be Brouwer/Laich/MJ. I'd look for players who bring at least one outstanding quality, be it speed, physicality, board-work, or skill. Still, the primary thing is for Ovi and Nick (and Trotz) to figure out how to step up their game.

At the same time.. Bura and Kuz bring lots of hope. And what's great is that they are developing under Trotz, so hopefully that's a foundation for a long time..

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
They still don't know how to create good scoring chances off of sustained pressure or cycling.

But I've seen Ovi+Nicky do it a couple of times already this year, which is almost more than what it used to be under Oates.

That consistency is missing though.

I hope to God it has more to do with trying to get better in a completely new system, new idea of playing rather than an inherent inability among our players.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The longer Trotz goes cycling through RWs the more logical it is to try Kuznetsov up there. He can always switch back to center if need be. It's sound training going forward having him play center but it really should not rule him out as a flexible top six winger option. That very likely would be the shortest route to him gaining confidence and assertiveness offensively.

I don't think it's really a new system holding them back from creating off of sustained pressure. That's been an issue for so long over so many coaches. I have slight hopes Trotz can better develop them but fundamentally speaking there's not a ton to work with in that area from an existing habits standpoint. Forwards flat out have to battle harder, smarter and be more diligent without the puck.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
The longer Trotz goes cycling through RWs the more logical it is to try Kuznetsov up there. He can always switch back to center if need be. It's sound training going forward having him play center but it really should not rule him out as a flexible top six winger option. That very likely would be the shortest route to him gaining confidence and assertiveness offensively.

I don't think it's really a new system holding them back from creating off of sustained pressure. That's been an issue for so long over so many coaches. I have slight hopes Trotz can better develop them but fundamentally speaking there's not a ton to work with in that area from an existing habits standpoint. Forwards flat out have to battle harder, smarter and be more diligent without the puck.

It would make sense to me to think that they set a number of games. And both Bura and Kuz are going to play C until that point. And at that point they will make the call on who stays at 2C. And the other will go to wing.

As much as it would be nice to be three deep down the middle. A 3C is a lot easier to find then a top six wing. And we have guys on the team that can fill that 3C spot already.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Alan May ranted about that last night, the get Kuznetzov some skill to work with instead of Beagle.

So...

Ovie - Backstrom - Kuznetzov
Mojo - Burakovsky - Brouwer
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
OBrien - Latta - Wilson

Stick Beagle in there for Fehr if the Fehr's a winger not a center thing bugs you. Or move Latta up and Beagle to the 4th, whatever.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I dont think you can put Datsuyks goal on Holtby, that was a crazy snipe, if it wasn't Dats i would say just lucky, and people saying he was stationery and nobody attacked him? BS, players know how many others #13 undressed from that position...

Over all not a bad game, i thought Caps outplayed Detroit, but the deference was the goalie... Howard made necessary/clutch stops and Holtby didn't.

Also, as it has been said, Beagle should not have been in the line up over Fehr. Trotz is still familiarizing himself with the roster/players... growing pains... I hope...

Great post! I mostly agree.

What is going unnoticed by most was Datsyuk's prep for this shot: a throw-back to the old Russian 5; his movements drew the Caps total attention... hypnotized them... and then he let loose... hitting a spot less than one square foot.

Abby's undressing of Burbavosky (I think it was him) and quick flip into the net, to me, is hardly something you lay on Holtby.

What I saw were 2 teams that are fundamentally different in one important aspect:

DRW came in prepared to play 60 minutes, and did.

Caps came in and repeated a script we've seen for many, many years: they lost interest in the 3rd period.

And sorry to p'off BC, but common sense would tell most that if you're only willing to play 40 minutes, at least, make those 40 minutes the last 40 minutes of the game!

Watching the Pens, Flyers, and DRW so far, I'm impressed most by the coaches. In the games I've seen, they've already got their team committed to playing full 60 minute efforts.

Even with a new coach, our players aren't willing to do this. We can blame Oates and others, new systems, etc., all we like, but the new broom hasn't swept clean.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'm more, "what's the point?" than not sold.

Backstrom-Burakovsky seems to be the way it's going to shake out. And I'm fine with that. Kick Kuznetzov up the depth chart at wing where we could really use the skill.

Well, if both Bura and Kuz could get their lines scoring, it's an argument for having all of Backstrom-Bura-Kuz. Plus, one could more comfortably substitute for another in case of injury, etc, plus you still have the ability to load up when trailing, etc.

Another argument for Kuz to ultimately have his own line is that the chemistry with him in the top-6 is not obvious. If you put him with Ovi and Backstrom, who's gonna get the puck? If you put him with Bura, that's two rookies potentially asked to carry a big load in playoffs, etc (though down the line, I think they might have quite good chemistry).

On the other hand, if this team already has a generally effective 2-way 3rd line in Chimera-Fehr-Ward, well then it's not at all clear whether Kuz can make those sorts of linemates appreciably better overall.

So... I dunno. If Kuz can be an effective fit in the top-6, that's probably where I'd want to see him in playoffs, provided the Chimera-Ward line is firing on all cylinders. But I can't say I mind him developing at center, and seeing whether that brings out qualities that otherwise we wouldn't see.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm nearly convinced Ovie needs another elite winger with him. That top line needs to be one of the best in the league.

Three words for you, Gretzky, Kurri, Semenko...

I'm sorry but Ovechkin, Backstrom, and pretty much anyone else should be one of the better lines in the league IMO.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I like the Kuz at center thing, personally. Even if he doesn't ultimately stick there, we've lacked depth at center for two decades (at least). If Burakovsky cools down, or one of him and Backstrom gets hurt, there's no additional creativity at the position if you don't cross-train Kuznetsov there.

I also think his game suits the center of the ice more than the wing.

Let him learn the position and develop there. When he's sufficiently comfortable and effective, move him to the wing if that's where he's needed most.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Three words for you, Gretzky, Kurri, Semenko...

I'm sorry but Ovechkin, Backstrom, and pretty much anyone else should be one of the better lines in the league IMO.

You can say they should be, and you would even be right, but they haven't been for 5 years. It's probably time to take a more active approach.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
@SlavaMalamud

"Those guys in red all like to push and shove. They are all so big. They want to chase an old man out of hockey." - Datsyuk after #Caps game

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
@SlavaMalamud

"Those guys in red all like to push and shove. They are all so big. They want to chase an old man out of hockey." - Datsyuk after #Caps game

That's a rope-a-dope "aw shucks" veteran dig. The Wings were grabbing and pushing and getting the sticks up like it's 1999.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad