GDT: Detroit Red Wings vs. Montreal Canadiens | 10/15/2018 | 7:30PM ET|FSD

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
What does that tell you then, if he is working harder than ever, yet has no goals, 1 assist and is a -3 in 5 games?

Time to produce. Next thing you know, he's 11 games into the season and has no goals and 2 assists. It's time to score some goals, and get on the scoresheet. Being a fast skater isn't going to cut it anymore in my books. I'm done with him being the best player on the ice one game, and then invisible for 7 or 8 games in a row.
What does that tell you? hes on a team full of filler players and new kids on the back end with a coach who lost this locker room. a staff that has no known game plan on any given night. We have a total of 3 players on the front end that even show they care, Larks, AA, and Bert the rest are just shit players playing shitty hockey for a shitty coach. In the words of Trash " Well we just have to spend more time in the other teams zone and less in ours", well no shit?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don’t mind Rasmussen watching one from the press box, besides the PP he looks mighty confused. I’m not anymore concerned about him than I was before the season started either, just a kid playing his first 5 games in the league. Dare I name a former Red Wing defenseman that looked amazing in his first 14 games and went downhill from there. Give Rasmussen some time, have to imagine the jump from Junior hockey to the pros is one of the hardest.

I’m with ya on all of this. Often times spending a couple games watching can help a player get a better feel for what they need to improve. Hell, if nothing else, it gives the organization more time to evaluate/determine if he should go back to the WHL (I don’t think he should but we’ll see). Overall, I don’t see much downside unless he ends up sitting out several games.

Reactions: YpsiWings

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Glad cholowski is back. It's fun watching talented, yound defensemen like him and Hronek.

I really hope that the wings score a few more tonight, just to get some confidence going. It has been a tough first few games

Reactions: RedMenace

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I can agree with the first pasrt, but not the second; he's physically WAY past the Junior league, and the AHL would be perfect for him right now. He doesn't need to be playing against kids again for any length of time.

The CHL transfer agreement is completely ridiculous. He and Zod should be tearing up the AHL together.
I'm assuming this is the case just from context, but for Ras it's either the NHL or juniors??

How does that happen?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I don't see the point in sitting Ras this early into the season.

He has been terribly underwhelming but we gotta get him used to this competition so we can find out who this guy is sooner than later.

If Mantha AND Rasumussen both "bust" then that will be a major setback.

Why are you using the bust term in relation to Mantha?

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Then I would say your expectations are misplaced putting that hope into a #20 pick.

we're desperate :D

His talent was never in question, more his consistency and effort. Thats why he fell to #20. We were hoping for the second coming of Franzen, but in a more explosive, athletic package. Of course you're right, but we have seen glimpses of a dominant goal scorer in him. It's easier to lower ones expectations if the talent of a player clearly isn't as high

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What does that tell you? hes on a team full of filler players and new kids on the back end with a coach who lost this locker room. a staff that has no known game plan on any given night. We have a total of 3 players on the front end that even show they care, Larks, AA, and Bert the rest are just **** players playing ****ty hockey for a ****ty coach. In the words of Trash " Well we just have to spend more time in the other teams zone and less in ours", well no ****?

I don't disagree with you about Blash being a terrible coach, because he is. To say that AA shows he cares game in game out, and every single shift is wrong though. He floats for entire games. Darren Helm is a player that shows he cares, and works his *** off every shift. Helm's work ethic will never be questioned in my books. He cares, he plays with heart every single shift. The same can't be said for AA.

AA has 77 points in 177 games, maybe, just maybe he is also just a "filler" player himself. Again, as of last season I was a huge AA fan, and gave the guy tons of credit, and defended him. I'm done defending a guy with a career points per game average of 0.43, who never shows any improvement whatsoever.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
we're desperate :D

His talent was never in question, more his consistency and effort. Thats why he fell to #20. We were hoping for the second coming of Franzen, but in a more explosive, athletic package. Of course you're right, but we have seen glimpses of a dominant goal scorer in him. It's easier to lower ones expectations if the talent of a player clearly isn't as high
Franzen had the "he floats" stigma as well.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't think Mantha deserves to labelled as a "bust". In my mind, a bust is a player that never really even makes the NHL at all. Even if Mantha has another 10 years as a mediocre 2nd liner, who puts up between 40-50 points per year, that isn't a bust. I guess it's all relative to each person's own definition.

I don't classify him as a bust. I classify him as a lazy player, who is content with being a good 2nd liner. He's never going to reach his potential, at least not at this rate. Until he shows he cares, he's a 40-50 point player. I miss the Mantha from his rookie year when he actually looked like he gave a ****. Now he is unquestionably the laziest player on the team.

Reactions: turkleton85

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I mean I haven't actually looked at the numbers on it but even a 40-50 point guy would probably be well above average for 20th overall kinda hard to call that a bust

if he was like 1st overall or something and only ever managed that then sure I could get behind that

looking at Mantha's draft even if you look at guys taken ahead of him here's the 11 forwards taken before Mantha,where they were drafted,and their career high in points in the NHL so far

Nathan Mackinnon,1st: 97
Aleksander Barkov,2nd: 78
Jonathan Drouin,3rd: 53
Elias Lindholm,5th: 45
Sean Monahan,6th: 64
Bo Horvat,9th: 52
Valeri Nichuskin,10th: 34
Max domi,12th: 52
Alexander Wennberg,14th: 59
Curtis Lazar,17th: 20
Kerby Rychel,19th: 9

Mantha had 48 last year which is more than 4 of those 11 guys have ever had and only a few points short of a few more of them,and these are just forwards that were taken ahead of him

then his 48 is also easily higher than anything any of the 9 forwards taken after him in the first round have ever done,and anything any of the forwards taken in the second round that year have done as well

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That is not how this works Mr. Kavanaugh. :D You don't get to answer a question with a question.
I'm only asking so I can work based on your definition and clarify mine in relation to it. Not trying to deflect.

Perhaps "bust" in the way it is normally framed would be the wrong word to use, but I think if Mantha can't consistently crack 50 points (which is like the low end of expectations) and has trouble getting back to 20 goals then I would use a word close to that.

Reactions: turkleton85

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I'm only asking so I can work based on your definition and clarify mine in relation to it. Not trying to deflect.

Perhaps "bust" in the way it is normally framed would be the wrong word to use, but I think if Mantha can't consistently crack 50 points (which is like the low end of expectations) and has trouble getting back to 20 goals then I would use a word close to that.

Is Travis Zajac a bust? Also drafted at #20 overall, scored 20+ goals all of 2 times, and broke 50 points all of 2 times.

I would say for Mantha to be a bust he would have to be out of the league by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad