GDT: Detroit Red Wings vs. Montreal Canadiens | 10/15/2018 | 7:30PM ET|FSD

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Many of the Wings' players have never had another coach at the professional level in NA. You learn different things from different coaches. I don't know if it's a lack of effort but I think they are stagnating under Blashcock.

Reactions: TravelingHockeyFan

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I know Ras has looked a bit out of his depth, and he’s a wing and Nielson is a C, but if anyone should sit it’s him. Nielson flat out stinks. But you can’t sit your associate captain...

He gets paid big bucks to be useless and insipid. Can’t stand him.
He is what we wasted the Datsyuk money on. I wonder if Holland has learned if there are no good options if you are above the salary cap floor YOU DONT HAVE TO SPEND THE MONEY. I'm actually afraid of him having money to play with next summer...

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
He is what we wasted the Datsyuk money on. I wonder if Holland has learned if there are no good options if you are above the salary cap floor YOU DONT HAVE TO SPEND THE MONEY. I'm actually afraid of him having money to play with next summer...
I'd much rather have him being called a f***-up, rather than a kid being called such due to his absence and their leaning curve. It's not like the money spent/wasted on Nielsen are keeping us from being a contender. As soon as we have young talent ready to take over roles, I'm having to have a overpaid for being a scapegoat.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
For me with ras it just comes down to the fact he cant go to AHL. I keep him the nhl no matter what, juniors does do anything for him.

Now if he was in a zadina situation hen the ahl wouldve been the best bet obviously.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I know this goes against the grain, will make some people irate, and some will just say there is no thought to it, BUT, have you all started to think some of our best players, IE Mantha, simply is not putting forth the effort because he/team doesn't want to play for Blashill?

Blaming Blashill is hardly against the grain haha. I'd say it's a strong possibility in fact that this is his last season if some of the young guys like Mantha don't show signs of taking a step forward.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
whoa guys, let's chill on mantha. he is still (relatively) young. last season he was 80 24 24 48 -1 , with only larkin and zetterberg outscoring him, and during his wings career he is a plus player. given that he has never been on a playoff side, that's not bad going.

i should make clear that i do share some of the concerns about mantha, particularly when it comes to compete level and work-rate, but the guy is at worst going to be a solid complementary top 6 winger, and that's no bad thing.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
Let me preface this by saying I am an Anthony Mantha fan, but there are some things I would like to mention.

It's been only 5 games so I will try to refrain from hyperbole. But with regard to Mantha, what I don't understand is, how do you take a bridge deal (essentially betting on yourself), and talk about wanting to be an impact player for the team and show up with such performances (didn't catch the Boston game). His career will not end tomorrow with the performance of these 5 games, but at some point whether you like the "system" of blashill (i sure as heck dont) or not, the small details of ones game should improve with time (in a perfect world at least). In my opinion one of the most disappointing thing I see in his game aside from his usual lack of compete for the puck is his ozone boardplay / possession. To begin the season too many plays have died in the o-zone because the puck was knocked off his stick and lost possession. That was one of the refreshing strengths I was drawn to back in 2016 2017. But now it's GONE. A player of his size and stature should not be so easy to defend in my opinion. We aren't the only ones to think Mantha doesn't play to his size. In a recent video released by MLive on YouTube, Vanek was being interviewed and was asked his opinion on how Mantha could be a great power forward for the team and he mentioned that every day he tells Mantha that he is big strong and should play like it. He goes on to say that he doesn't think Mantha truly realizes what he is capable of. I somewhat believe this too. I'm not sure if Mantha will ever realize his full potential which to me is the most saddening red wing story line this year. As much as some may not think of Mantha in such a high view, one thing is objectively true, he was one of the main pieces that could have sped up the route to success of the Red Wings. I will try to remain patient with him, but the pressure is now on him to understand that this is his year to prove to this team and league wide what he is about as he is setting the foundation of how he will be coached and placed within the team now going forward. If he continue to play like this he will be a 2nd/3rd line tweener next year and if he goes to abother team in the future, there is a good chance such a label will follow him and he will be paid as such (instead of the first line money and personal goals he desires). He will always have an NHL career, but it up to him to decide what tier he falls in.

As much I would like to think Blashill is an overwhelming hindrance of Mantha's progression, the percentage of fault is slowly evening out with time and going in the other direction.

Sometimes I wish Mantha would just FLY! Don't think anymore, just FLY OUT THERE AND GO! LET IT ALL OUT!

Reactions: TheMule93

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I know this goes against the grain, will make some people irate, and some will just say there is no thought to it, BUT, have you all started to think some of our best players, IE Mantha, simply is not putting forth the effort because he/team doesn't want to play for Blashill? Now before the Blashill extremists come thrashing down, its a simple thought/opinion, and a good one for that matter. Blashill has had a few years as Assistant coach, few successful years as an AHL coach and is now in his third season behind the bench for the Wings. He has been given poo poo for a roster, which some will say is not his fault, but when does he start becoming the focal point of this teams failures? It's not as if he has no expereince and is still learning how to coach. He has had plenty of time to put forth a worthy system for these players to play and adapt to, and quite frankly, its not working. So when does he finally start to get some heat on him, not only from media, but from people here, before you start questioning guys like Mantha? Can Mantha be better, heck yes, but it starts w the fire the coach instills and there is no fire.

If your objection is simply to his effort level, I would encourage you to go find some footage of his days in Val D'or (full games, no YouTube highlight videos with shitty music). He had effort issues long before he met Jeff Blashill.

Blashill will be gone after this year (if not earlier). The only reason he is still around is because Holland wants to signal to the coaching market that he knows how to honestly evaluate his team and is realistic about expectations.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle. I am sure other coaches could do slightly better with Mantha and that Mantha would show the same bad habits (or worse) under others. I just have a hard time seeing the spots change at this point (same with AA), no matter how much I want to see it happen.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If Mantha doesn't score tonight then idk what to do with him. If he can't score in Montreal then there's problems.

Fun fact: Matha has 4 goals and 1 assist in 10 games against MTL, the real team he's caught fire against is Calgary, 4 goals 4 assists in 4 games.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Betting Mantha has a good game tonight. He reminds me so much of Franzen, including the spotty effort in the forecheck shift to shift. Being home always fires him up.

I think the Wings win this game, and I think Mantha and AA both score in the process.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
For me with ras it just comes down to the fact he cant go to AHL. I keep him the nhl no matter what, juniors does do anything for him.

Now if he was in a zadina situation hen the ahl wouldve been the best bet obviously.

I have no issues with Rasmussen going back to the WHL, I think it's clear he needs to develop his offensive game beyond a postseason. It looks like exactly what I expected, he's just a big mature, physical body who's offensively not prepared to be a offensive difference maker in the NHL.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It's just a strange time to stop supporting AA because so far this season he has actually shown improvement.

And I can't agree with you on Helm after watching him do stupid things like ice the puck one stride short of center ice. I miss the tenacious Helm of old. I don't know where that guy went.

I've just come to the realization that he's just not that good, and does not have a good enough scorer's touch or hockey sense to be a consistent contributor. Prove me wrong AA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad