4th round 2025 BOS
7th round 2025 STL
- RW Dylan McLaughlin (AHL deal)
- C Dylan Larkin, 8-year extension
- LD Jake Walman, 3-year extension
- W Alexandre Doucet, ELC, QMJHL best goalscorer
- G John Lethemon, NHL-contract
- RW Alex Chiasson, NHL-contract (750k)

Nice work from our GM. Quite sure Yzerman was the most active of all.

Current roster:

Kubalik - Larkin - Raymond
Fabbri - Copp - Perron
Berggren - Veleno - Zadina
Erne - Suter - Chiasson

Walman - Seider
Määttä - Chiarot
Hägg - Lindström
Oesterle

Husso
Hellberg/Nedeljkovic (if Husso injured)
Great to add those picks and extend those players. But that third pairing wouldn't be great in Grand Rapids, let alone Detroit.

Kick at least two of those bottom three to the curb and bring a decent vet in to go with Edvinsson next year.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Great to add those picks and extend those players. But that third pairing wouldn't be great in Grand Rapids, let alone Detroit.

Kick at least two of those bottom three to the curb and bring a decent vet in to go with Edvinsson next year.
Why wait? Ship them down and bring up Ed and Al for the rest of the season. There is zero reason to wait until the fall to evaluate these guys at the NHL level.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why wait? Ship them down and bring up Ed and Al for the rest of the season. There is zero reason to wait until the fall to evaluate these guys at the NHL level.

Could be the ELC burning year - thing. Burn or not? I could be 100% sure Edvinsson will get some games. At least 9, maybe more.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Not to diminish Hronek's and Sundqvist's contributions this season too much, but this week the Wings traded away 4 players who totaled 27 goals this year, in 146 games. They received (2) 1sts, (1) 2nd, (2) 4ths, and (1) 7th.
Excellent perspective Jaster we did quite well.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Could be the ELC burning year - thing. Burn or not? I could be 100% sure Edvinsson will get some games. At least 9, maybe more.
I'd gladly trade being in position to hit the ground running next season for one ELC year on Ed. Albert is too old to slide.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I still don't think the organization is trying to go tank mode. They only bring them up if they think they help us win (which they might believe that)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I still don't think the organization is trying to go tank mode. They only bring them up if they think they help us win (which they might believe that)

Yeah, it's not really A TANK.

But we have now a worse team after losing good players. So we kind of are going to drop on the standings. I could call it a "half-tank".

Adding futures, opening slots for kids, clearing capspace... I would also say that it was a great rebuilding deadline.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
1677876829114.png

I would love to know what other trade Stevie was trying to pull off before this thing came down

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Speculation from reading the threads. Detroit was planning on trading another forward. It didn’t happen for some reason. Therefore JVR deal didn’t take place for some reason. Then maybe a JVR flip didn’t take place.

Did 3 deals fall apart at the end? Interesting.

Not sure how a flip works without a retention slot works though.

Maybe JVR to replace Perron or someone else. Who knows.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd gladly trade being in position to hit the ground running next season for one ELC year on Ed. Albert is too old to slide.
I don't care about the ELC at all. But I'm basing this 100 percent on Edvinsson. If the kid is absolutely ready, bring him up now. If he still needs time, keep him in GR.

20 games in a lost season is far less important than maximizing his development.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm pretty sure Yzerman was trying to flip Perron or Zadina and replace them with JVR to run out the season. It's the only way it makes sense.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't care about the ELC at all. But I'm basing this 100 percent on Edvinsson. If the kid is absolutely ready, bring him up now. If he still needs time, keep him in GR.

20 games in a lost season is far less important than maximizing his development.
He needs to learn how to be an NHL defenseman not an AHL defenseman.

If the argument at the start of the season was can't trust NHL standings points with a kid on the blue line that excuse is gone now. The best coaching and experience to grow is in Detroit, not Grand f***ing Rapids.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He needs to learn how to be an NHL defenseman not an AHL defenseman.

If the argument at the start of the season was can't trust NHL standings points with a kid on the blue line that excuse is gone now. The best coaching and experience to grow is in Detroit, not Grand f***ing Rapids.
We've been down this road before. You think he has nothing left to learn at AHL speed and needs the big show to finish his lessons. Obviously the front office didn't share that opinion at the start of the season - and I think that assessment proved to be correct in hindsight.

I'm just saying that if they think he's ready now, then play him now and ELC be damned. But if they still think he can benefit from ripening a couple more months, then him joining Detroit in October isn't the end of the world.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

The slide-thing is one thing. But like Colorado, they did burn intentionally one Makar year earlier to use him for 10 games. So they get the 2nd contract starting year earlier - as a cheaper contract. If Makar would have played 3 full seasons with ELC, he would have cost 11-12M on next deal. Burning the year earlier, they got him cheaper.

I dunno could we benefit about this scenario with Edvinsson. Maybe not that much, because he won't be the best point-producer. Seider is already on that role. Power-play role means so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad