Speculation: Detroit Red Wings TDL

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Trigger warning for the tankies: This thread is not about tanking. If you feel the need to bring up tanking I propose you kick rocks and take your opinions to an other thread. This thread is about what the Red Wings could add at this TDL.

With that said, I am pretty open minded. Id say the ideal situation would be a low cost rental (mid round pick) or a longer term addition. Id target some depth down the middle and on the back end.

Meier: has been talked about extensively. His appeal is obvious. He is a productive top line player at an age that aligns with the core. Wont be cheap

Chychrun: Good LHD, locked up on a decent contract, age aligns with the core. Wont be cheap

Kane: A controversial player, especially in Detroit but arguably the most skill we could add. He is struggling this year and his name may price him as a high cost rental. I would add him if the cost is right (it wont be and he probably wouldnt consider Detroit)

Schmaltz: Big bodied Center with skill and term. Probably the best option to help fill a long term need. He wouldn't be a cheap addition but maybe not prohibitively costly?

Bjugstad: Rental center. might be somewhat on the cheaper side.

Veljmelka: A legit goaltender to run in tandem with Husso. Probably not cheap.

Domi: Probably the most skilled "rental center". Might be a cost effective way to add skilled depth down the middle. I dont love his game

Boeser: Polarizing player with term and a pedigree for scoring.

Lars Eller: Possible cheap center depth option.

For me, the 2024 1st would only be on the table for Timo Meier. Other than that, Id be more inclined to target low cost rentals. Possibly Eller or Bjugstad to add some depth down the middle. A cheap rental D would also help.

Schmaltz is an interesting fit but now sure about his acquisition cost.

Are there other targets out there? What kind of ADDING strategy would you take?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I think a depth d-man makes sense. If it’s someone up front I think it’s gotta be someone like Meier. The wings have good depth up front better depth than most teams just not the super high end guys that contenders have. If you can get a good partner for chiarot then you can slot Maatta in with Hronek. I am also intrigued by Schmaltz and what that would cost.

Reactions: SirloinUB

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think if we add it should be a defenseman to get Hagg out of the line up, potentially a back up goalie because a Husso injury basically kills the season. A forward would be nice, but we have a decent amount of depth so an addition would be tricky unless its a high end forward... which im unsure if we should consider paying the asking price at this point in the teams rebuild. We should not be moving any high end prospects or early picks yet, we need to continue to add to the pipeline so our window of contention is not a short one.

Reactions: I See Blue

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I wouldn't mind adding Nick Bjugstad for a cheaper price, imo, you should tag in RHD Luke Schenn too. Both wouldn't be too costly and would improve the depth/bottom half of the team. Schenn's another guy well rumored to be available.

Something along these lines; Idk if it gets either done.
Red Wings trade a 4th round pick, 7th round pick, F Cross Hanas and LHD Emil Viro.

Canucks trade RHD Luke Schenn.

Red Wings trade their 3rd round pick, LHD Donovan Sebrango and F Carter Mazuer.

Coyotes trade C Nick Bjugstad

Not really offensive moves but adds grit and strengthens the team's overall defense.

The more they keep winning the more I keep moving to F'them picks and go get Meier. Hopefully they can sustain and no slip ups before the TDL.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This guy Edvinsson would be a great addition to our bottom pair.
Definitely in our price range….
I like this, provided we are 100 percent certain he's ready. Maximizing his development is far more important than whatever lift he might provide during the home stretch of this season.

I don't care about sliding the ELC if the kid is absolutely knocking down the door. But I'm not rushing him for any reason, even if he makes the difference in making the playoffs.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I wouldn't mind adding Nick Bjugstad for a cheaper price, imo, you should tag in RHD Luke Schenn too. Both wouldn't be too costly and would improve the depth/bottom half of the team. Schenn's another guy well rumored to be available.

Not really offensive moves but adds grit and strengthens the team's overall defense.

Both massive overpayments by Detroit. Wouldn’t trade Mazur alone for both of those players.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wings have depth forwards falling out their ass.
Wings have depth D ready and waiting in GR.
Any addition better have at least a strong potential for 5+ years effective service left in them.

I really only want to look at top line forwards solidly under 30yo. And legit top line forwards, not squint hard enough and a middle 6 guy is a top 6 guy.

Unless there is someone available that no one knows about (which happens) that's really only Meier.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Both massive overpayments by Detroit. Wouldn’t trade Mazur alone for both of those players.
I'm not sure any of those prospects make the league as legit players so. Idk, people have opinions. Mazur for sure imo has the most potential.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

The more they keep winning the more I keep moving to F'them picks and go get Meier. Hopefully they can sustain and no slip ups before the TDL.

The bjugstad proposal feels costly but he might get a bidding war. Kind of feels like Schenn might generate a bidding war as well. I think they are both great fits though.

Admittedly, adding a Vet is a bit of a double edged sword. Getting Bjugstad or Eller to help out down the middle takes away a development opportunity from Veleno and/or Rasmussen. On the other hand, if this team is going to sneak in, you might as well give them the best chance you can.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I look back at last year's trade deadline and we saw Namestnikov for a 4th, stretcher for a 7th, Motte for a 4th, Brassard for a 4th. Assuming this team stays in the hunt, Id be disappointed if Yzerman didnt make a minor addition for the boys.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The bjugstad proposal feels costly but he might get a bidding war. Kind of feels like Schenn might generate a bidding war as well. I think they are both great fits though.

Admittedly, adding a Vet is a bit of a double edged sword. Getting Bjugstad or Eller to help out down the middle takes away a development opportunity from Veleno and/or Rasmussen. On the other hand, if this team is going to sneak in, you might as well give them the best chance you can.
Any playoff action this year should be viewed purely as a development opportunity for the kids. That's what the "chance" for this season is. Experience to then take into following seasons when this roster, hopefully, is a bit more fleshed out.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I look back at last year's trade deadline and we saw Namestnikov for a 4th, stretcher for a 7th, Motte for a 4th, Brassard for a 4th. Assuming this team stays in the hunt, Id be disappointed if Yzerman didnt make a minor addition for the boys.
Complete opposite to me. Unless you're very obviously pushing everyone down with a big move at the top, it hurts a guy like Veleno more to get bumped off the roster for a Bjugstad than it would for him to play.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Complete opposite to me. Unless you're very obviously pushing everyone down with a big move at the top, it hurts a guy like Veleno more to get bumped off the roster for a Bjugstad than it would for him to play.
Ya I agree that’s where I only see a legit top line/top 6 add that has a future with us or a depth d-man because that number 6 spot isn’t being taken up by anyone that has a future with us. Would also have no issue with that just being Ed there as well. If he hits then that’s a big time boost

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Any playoff action this year should be viewed purely as a development opportunity for the kids. That's what the "chance" for this season is. Experience to then take into following seasons when this roster, hopefully, is a bit more fleshed out.

I mostly agree but Id be lying if I said there wasnt some underlying excitement driving me to want an addition.

I do think Yzerman will add an additional center that Newsy feels he can trust even if they are viewed as more of a 13th forward/5th line guy. Though a legit top 6 center is the real need.

Id like to see Lindstrom/Hagg fully removed from the equation, development be damned.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk, people are setting the line up themselves to fit their argument, so I decided to do the same.

Michael Rasmussen – Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Jonatan Berggren – Andrew Copp – David Perron
Tyler Bertuzzi – Nick Bjugstad – Dominik Kubalik
Robby Fabbri – Joe Veleno – Oskar Sundqvist

Jakub Vrana
Pius Suter

Jake Walman – Moritz Seider
Olli Maatta – Filip Hronek
Ben Chiarot – Luke Schenn

Jordan Oesterle

Ville Husso
Magnus Hellberg

Veleno really isn't that great at C, but if people are insisting on playing him there for development you could move Rasmussen with Larkin who he played really well with. I'd just move Veleno to LW though;

Tyler Bertuzzi– Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Jonatan Berggren – Andrew Copp – David Perron
Robby Fabbri – Michael Rasmussen – Dominik Kubalik
Joe Veleno – Nick Bjugstad – Oskar Sundqvist

Jakub Vrana
Pius Suter

Jake Walman – Moritz Seider
Olli Maatta – Filip Hronek
Ben Chiarot – Luke Schenn

Jordan Oesterle

Ville Husso
Magnus Hellberg

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Idk, people are setting the line up themselves to fit their argument, so I decided to do the same.

Veleno really isn't that great at C, but if people are insisting on playing him there for development you could move Rasmussen with Larkin who he played really well with. I'd just move Veleno to LW though;

I like this a lot. If nothing else it would make this team a tough out. Like I said, my only hesitation is a potential bidding war.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Meier would be nice.

Otherwise I'm in the depth dman boat. Schenn or Jensen would be nice. Keeps Hagg, Oesterle, and Lindstrom out of the lineup unless there are injuries.

Walman - Seider
Maatta - Hronek
Chiarot - Jensen/Schenn
Really solid dcorp there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad