Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This summer series has to put McIsaac as a likely WJC guy. Impressive stuff from him, really pleased. Don't get too chippy with Jack Hughes though in the future he is your future teammate we hope...:laugh:

Though I guess for some of us, he just ran a pretty good slash on the USA's best player because he got somewhere near the goalie and he felt like it with no time left. We don't have that kind of snarl on our back-end and I like to have a few D-man with that.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
This summer series has to put McIsaac as a likely WJC guy. Impressive stuff from him, really pleased. Don't get too chippy with Jack Hughes though in the future he is your future teammate we hope...:laugh:

Though I guess for some of us, he just ran a pretty good slash on the USA's best player because he got somewhere near the goalie and he felt like it with no time left. We don't have that kind of snarl on our back-end and I like to have a few D-man with that.
Hughes was on his back constantly, didn't surprise me when he gave it back. Quinn jumping in to defend Jack was precious.

I thought that McIsaac had a really good game. Actually made more of an impression on me than Rasmussen did. He did lose the puck and his man a bit on the one USA PP goal, but otherwise was pretty impressive defensively. He was really key for Canada killing the 2 man advantage, and did a good job the whole game forcing his man to the outside and not allowing attacks to the net. Rasmussen had a good game, but not really all that special. Were some cases where he was a bit lazy in the corner where I thought he could use his size to win some battles, but he does really like getting to the net and is just always so planted when he gets there.

Petruzzelli lost the game for the Americans for sure. Hopefully he has a bounce back year in the NCAA, but I don't see him making the WJC team. Unless he looked better in his other games, didn't really get to see much else of the showcase.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Good to see McIsaac there, when protecting the 1-goal lead at last seconds. Usually every coach will put their best defensive players there.

Reactions: hkydave04

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018

McIsaac has really impressed me in the summer showcase. The kid has a great stick he breaks up a lot of plays a la number 5. He also does a really nice job of getting his shot off from the point with quick and accurate release. He should complement Rasmussen with his shot and Rasmussen's net front presence.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

He'll need a good start but getting some offense in this series from him likely helped quite a bit. Theres only one D at camp that plays a siilar style really I think and thats Woo. McIsaac has the edge there though I'm sure and has helped his case big time.

And I know you love the Hughes, but theyre going to find out quick in the NHL it doesnt matter how good you are if you want to play that chippy style someone is going to let you have it. Thats 2 games in a row Jack has tried jumping guys and being dirty against the Canadians with his cage on. McIsaac went after him in an earlier game as well while one of those Hughes were down on top of Canadas goalie. I loved that slash from McIsaac to finish the game, you want to play like Hughes was, itll be a harder one next time

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He'll need a good start but getting some offense in this series from him likely helped quite a bit. Theres only one D at camp that plays a siilar style really I think and thats Woo. McIsaac has the edge there though I'm sure and has helped his case big time.

And I know you love the Hughes, but theyre going to find out quick in the NHL it doesnt matter how good you are if you want to play that chippy style someone is going to let you have it. Thats 2 games in a row Jack has tried jumping guys and being dirty against the Canadians with his cage on. McIsaac went after him in an earlier game as well while one of those Hughes were down on top of Canadas goalie. I loved that slash from McIsaac to finish the game, you want to play like Hughes was, itll be a harder one next time

Hughes is a franchise player, if you go after him the price to be paid will be steep. Target him at your own peril. Even with the game changing, there will always be hell to pay for targeting a team's franchise player. Now if McIsaac wants that, good deal we need some guys that don't care and the Wings are actually building a team you might not want to mess around with shortly in terms of size and grit.

He has to wear the cage so I am not going to run him for that. But he will have to get used to all the whacking he gets as a star player, there are times he does seem to let it get more of his attention than it should. If you're Jack Hughes there are 17 other guy on the team to make sure people that want to do that pay the appropriate toll. I think a lot of guys pump out their chest in international play in a way that would never happen in the NHL. One of the reasons I find actually getting the World Cup off the ground with NHL rules and playing style would be great if they can figure it out. There was a lot more physicality in the 96 version for instance.

If you think a slash in the dying seconds of a NHL game on the star player of the other team goes answered like in a junior IIHF sanctioned game well that isn't really true either.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hughes is a franchise player, if you go after him the price to be paid will be steep. Target him at your own peril. Even with the game changing, there will always be hell to pay for targeting a team's franchise player. Now if McIsaac wants that, good deal we need some guys that don't care and the Wings are actually building a team you might not want to mess around with shortly in terms of size and grit.

He has to wear the cage so I am not going to run him for that. But he will have to get used to all the whacking he gets as a star player, there are times he does seem to let it get more of his attention than it should. If you're Jack Hughes there are 17 other guy on the team to make sure people that want to do that pay the appropriate toll. I think a lot of guys pump out their chest in international play in a way that would never happen in the NHL. One of the reasons I find actually getting the World Cup off the ground with NHL rules and playing style would be great if they can figure it out. There was a lot more physicality in the 96 version for instance.

If you think a slash in the dying seconds of a NHL game on the star player of the other team goes answered like in a junior IIHF sanctioned game well that isn't really true either.

It barely goes answered anymore regardless. If he keeps jumping guys from behind and stuff he'll get cleaned sometime at his size. All it takes is one Laperierre to elbow Lidstrom in the head and he didnt even do anything to deserve that. Also he has to wear the cage but thats the point,dont start punching people in the head while youre wearing one.

He just seemed kinda whiny in the 2 Canada games this series. If Corey Perry did the stuff Hughes was doing to the red wings everyone on the wings board would be flipping out, regardless of if hes a hrt trophy winner

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It barely goes answered anymore regardless. If he keeps jumping guys from behind and stuff he'll get cleaned sometime at his size. All it takes is one Laperierre to elbow Lidstrom in the head and he didnt even do anything to deserve that. Also he has to wear the cage but thats the point,dont start punching people in the head while youre wearing one.

He just seemed kinda whiny in the 2 Canada games this series. If Corey Perry did the stuff Hughes was doing to the red wings everyone on the wings board would be flipping out, regardless of if hes a hrt trophy winner

You’re being too critical of a kid that just turned 17. The US-Canada games are always chippy. It happens.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Thank you guys for the WJ discussions. Found the full game on youtube. I didn't expect Quinn Hughes, Tkachuk, and Whalstrom to stand out as much as they did. Like TZE has said, with Matthews, Gaudreau, Larkin, Eichel, etc. and the next crop of players the USNDT is churning out, team USA could soon be a terror at the international level.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Kivenmäki is getting some hype from Ässät fans and some are even predicting him in their top-6 to start the season. Looks like the the coaches want to give him a proper chance too as he will be on the 1st line on Kotkaniemi's wing today in a preseason game vs Sport. It will be on YouTube at 6:30 PM Finnish time (11:30 Eastern time?), not sure about possible geo-blocks:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kivenmäki is getting some hype from Ässät fans and some are even predicting him in their top-6 to start the season. Looks like the the coaches want to give him a proper chance too as he will be on the 1st line on Kotkaniemi's wing today in a preseason game vs Sport. It will be on YouTube at 6:30 PM Finnish time (11:30 Eastern time?), not sure about possible geo-blocks:

Was that Kivenmaki with the assist on the 1-0 goal?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Drafting a guy in the 7th rd who is playing top 6 in the Liiga in his +1 season is very encouraging :)

Wirtaneh

In Mantha we trust
Aug 10, 2014
Finland
I was watching the game yesterday and did quite a bit of scouting on Kivenmäki. He really has great vision especially when it comes to offense and good IQ. If he makes it to a top6 role for the regular season, he would probably be 20-30 point guy in a 60 game regular season which is really good for a small guy like him while playing against men.

Only bigger minus at this stage of his development is that he could be a better skater I think but correct me if I'm wrong. Overall I'd say he is one of the most promising young guys in later rounds that Wings have drafted in couple of recent years.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He hasn’t yet been in the discussion for the WJC, but if he actually gets even consistent top-9 minutes in the Liiga then he should be on the U20 consideration list pretty quickly. His father’s legacy at Ässät is probably helping him get a better chance of making the pro roster at such young age but the talent is definitely there.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Kivenmäki is playing pre-season hockey again today, still on the 1st line with Kotkaniemi and Aleksi Rekonen. It should be live on Youtube at 9:45 AM Eastern on this channel: Vaasan Sport - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad