Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The Hockey Writers attempted a conversion of points from the AHL, CHL, etc to the NHL on most of the DRW's prospects. Interesting but as Tom Wolek writes,"It’s not a guarantee of NHL production, ..., and is the raw conversion from one league to another. It’s not a perfect translation,"

https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-prospects-roster-spots/
Reading that, it just makes me wonder why they didn't get separate coefficients for forward and defense conversions. They're fundamentally different things. Producing as a forward is markedly different from producing as a defenseman.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Reading that, it just makes me wonder why they didn't get separate coefficients for forward and defense conversions. They're fundamentally different things. Producing as a forward is markedly different from producing as a defenseman.
I think it is a work in progress. He wrote about line strength and other factors that would affect each prospect. Big Job to do so its kinda a 1-size fits all

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I respect all of these statistics people are creating. I really do.

I just find it ironic how they are becoming more complicated then simply watching the player and making your own judgement.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I respect all of these statistics people are creating. I really do.

I just find it ironic how they are becoming more complicated then simply watching the player and making your own judgement.
But it's not supposed to be simple. The idea is that in watching players, we miss all kinds of things. Humans just aren't that good at paying attention to a bunch of different factors, and we have all these cognitive biases that distort our perceptions of what we saw. In a way, the eye test is too simple and reductive.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
But it's not supposed to be simple. The idea is that in watching players, we miss all kinds of things. Humans just aren't that good at paying attention to a bunch of different factors, and we have all these cognitive biases that distort our perceptions of what we saw. In a way, the eye test is too simple and reductive.

And yet taking somebody's word that they collected the statistics properly, then we trust that their model actually tells us something that is really useful is considered better.

I do think there is a happy medium between them, but hockey analytics are so far behind/can never be quantified in the way that baseball's can but a lot of people take them for gospel

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I wonder what prospects and hockey players do during summer. I heard somewhere that Mantha like to take boxing classes . I hope Frk and Svechnikov working on the speed. I noticed that Smith skating much better than last year

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2018-19, from 1 to 31

Sporting news ranks our farm system at 10th best in the league. I can't believe they have Cholowski so low.

1. Filip ZadinaLWHalifax (QMJHL)1st/2018
2. Joe VelenoCDrummondville (QMJHL)1st/2018
3. Michael RasmussenCTri-City (WHL)1st/2017
4. Jonathan BerggrenLWDjugardens (SHL)2nd/2018
5. Filip HronekRHDGrand Rapids (AHL)2nd/2016
6. Jared McIsaacLHDHalifax (QMJHL)2nd/2018
7. Gustav LindstromRHDAltumna (Allsvenskan)2nd/2017
8. Evgeny SvechnikovRWGrand Rapids (AHL)1st/2015
9. Filip LarssonGDenver (NCAA)6th/2016
10. Dennis CholowskiLHDGrand Rapids (AHL)1st/2016
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I've only watched the first half of the game from last night so far, but I thought Rasmussen was the best player on the ice. Good patience to make passes, good forecheck, and always making a positive play.

That being said, I'm still torn if going 5-hole on that goal and then putting the puck through the defenders legs on the 2nd goal were absolute elite level plays or kind of lucky accidents or somewhere in between. Either way, he was creating plays.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I've only watched the first half of the game from last night so far, but I thought Rasmussen was the best player on the ice. Good patience to make passes, good forecheck, and always making a positive play.

That being said, I'm still torn if going 5-hole on that goal and then putting the puck through the defenders legs on the 2nd goal were absolute elite level plays or kind of lucky accidents or somewhere in between. Either way, he was creating plays.
Rasmussen was really good, he is just a guy that goes out there and does his job. He was a disruptive force all night and that shot was definitely placed where he saw the opening. If they used him on the PP it could've been a more offensive night. I get why they didn't though, it's a camp and Rasmussen will likely not be at the WJC - and he's cemented himself as one of those guys. Give the other big guys a chance to show their stuff.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2018-19, from 1 to 31

Sporting news ranks our farm system at 10th best in the league. I can't believe they have Cholowski so low.

1. Filip ZadinaLWHalifax (QMJHL)1st/2018
2. Joe VelenoCDrummondville (QMJHL)1st/2018
3. Michael RasmussenCTri-City (WHL)1st/2017
4. Jonathan BerggrenLWDjugardens (SHL)2nd/2018
5. Filip HronekRHDGrand Rapids (AHL)2nd/2016
6. Jared McIsaacLHDHalifax (QMJHL)2nd/2018
7. Gustav LindstromRHDAltumna (Allsvenskan)2nd/2017
8. Evgeny SvechnikovRWGrand Rapids (AHL)1st/2015
9. Filip LarssonGDenver (NCAA)6th/2016
10. Dennis CholowskiLHDGrand Rapids (AHL)1st/2016
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm quite they had us on the bottom10 year ago.

One great draft really can change things. Let's do it again at 2019!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, watching him now and seeing how he struggled so hard last year in the NCAA, I don't have much hope for him. I was really happy when the Wings took him last year, but he just hasn't developed.

He has some time, Larsson should hopefully help ease some of our concerns. If we have a second first and he is there I am not against Knight this draft year. Time will tell, but he had a rough afternoon to be sure. He wasn't very sharp, I am hoping for a lot better during the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad