Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Smith with a classy act after game 6 today... skated by the Greyhound bench, flipped off team and coaching staff. Last game ran the goalie head first... he's got issues .

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Yes, OHL forum section of HF. If you go back to game 5 highlights of the series you will also find the goalie incident. Nothing overly violent either occasion but he doesnt seem to have much common sense. Especially after the ref incident a few weeks back.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Smith with a classy act after game 6 today... skated by the Greyhound bench, flipped off team and coaching staff. Last game ran the goalie head first... he's got issues .

Looks like there were many Kitchener players throwing comments towards the Greyhound bench after the game. Must be a nasty series.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Guys we are building the Jets, that is my opinion of what they are going for. They have a ton of talent though, but I think they are going for that impossibly big team that still skates well and plays a dominating physical hockey brand.

We are going to be a bully kind of team, think Bash brother era Detroit before the glory years. I am not sure how it will go, we need the skill too, but they are not going to be fun to play against pretty soon in this process, they are going to be big and physical up front more than likely.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Guys we are building the Jets, that is my opinion of what they are going for. They have a ton of talent though, but I think they are going for that impossibly big team that still skates well and plays a dominating physical hockey brand.

We are going to be a bully kind of team, think Bash brother era Detroit before the glory years. I am not sure how it will go, we need the skill too, but they are not going to be fun to play against pretty soon in this process, they are going to be big and physical up front more than likely.

Holland has used Winnipeg as an example many times lately as a team that correctly built through many years of smart drafting. But I also think many teams would love to be built like Winnipeg.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Most entertaining team to watch in the league. Perfect mix of skill and toughness, I think youre right though. Thats the direction theyre heading in.

Reading the OHL forum threads it seems like Smith is really playing nasty hockey, but playing well and scoring a lot too. Seems to be a major factor in Kitcheners success so far

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

I agree completely, I said it in the other thread, it seems like their building a similar roster. Obviously the defense is the glaring difference, and we need a scorer like Laine, but it seems like they're gunning for that trajectory, and I like it.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Smith has been a factor only in the sense he has somehow not suspended. Spears, flipping the bird and running goalies is not what Winnipeg built. Speed, skill, hockey IQ and toughness is what is needed... Smith has the toughness with a very limited ceiling in the hockey sense department. That will get exposed at higher levels, while I hope he proves me wrong because I am a Detroit fan.. watching him play isnt impressive. Gets by on pure size against juniors, not skill.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
guys 20 and still can't even hit PPG in juniors

The offense doesn't flow through Smith. He's a front net guy. Not sure what you're talking about.

Higher draft picks from the same year such as German Rubtsov or Max Jones are busts, too, since they aren't PPG in juniors either?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The offense doesn't flow through Smith. He's a front net guy. Not sure what you're talking about.

Higher draft picks from the same year such as German Rubtsov or Max Jones are busts, too, since they aren't PPG in juniors either?

Rubstov is 9 months younger than Smith and is essentially a rookie to north american ice(he played 16 games in juniors last year and put up 22 points)

i'd say Jones is trending towards bust status and would be surprised to see much from him at this point yeah,again though at least he was PPG last year(and was closer to it in his draft year than Smith has ever been still)

anyways I never actually called Smith a bust,he very well might end up being an okay 4th liner

but he won't be more than that and at that point you really gotta ask yourself if the antics are worth it,there's a definite line there and at this point his ceiling is pretty much "just barely worth not running out of town"

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Rubstov is 9 months younger than Smith and is essentially a rookie to north american ice(he played 16 games in juniors last year and put up 22 points)

i'd say Jones is trending towards bust status and would be surprised to see much from him at this point yeah,again though at least he was PPG last year(and was closer to it in his draft year than Smith has ever been still)

anyways I never actually called Smith a bust,he very well might end up being an okay 4th liner

but he won't be more than that and at that point you really gotta ask yourself if the antics are worth it,there's a definite line there and at this point his ceiling is pretty much "just barely worth not running out of town"

You mean four months younger? Having trouble counting? Rubstov has been in North America for two seasons now and was a first round pick. I vividly remember some here wanting the Red Wings to draft him over Cholowski, too.

We'll see what happens with Smith but I don't get some people around here taking a dump on a player while he's playing some of his best hockey in his junior career in the playoffs.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Not even close.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I agree completely, I said it in the other thread, it seems like their building a similar roster. Obviously the defense is the glaring difference, and we need a scorer like Laine, but it seems like they're gunning for that trajectory, and I like it.

Wishful thinking.
Maybe after 6 more years of top 6 picks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not even close.

so, what kind of team do you think Holland&Co. are trying to build

Glanced through the Kitchener subforum here at HF and it sounds like there's been some...questionable...decisions made by folks on both teams. This isn't to say Smith isn't being stupid here, he is, but it might not be as strange and out of the blue as it seems at first tweet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad