Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I wasn't specifically referring to Cleary when I mentioned bad contracts. That contract was solid.
And boy does it suck Glendening lost his physical edge. Him being an aggitator was awesome earlier in his career, now he's just a boring cookie cutter fringe nhler.
Set career highs in PPG(playing a mintue and a half less per game than previous high), FO%(58%), blocked shots (in less games) and hit at the same rate this season.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah this is true except Dan Cleary was actually a good hockey player and a legit top 6 player. He did what Glendening does except scored 20 goals a year and a 40+ points. When he was at his best he was decently physical as well which Glendening seems to have lost for some reason. Cleary was also a playoff guy who always stepped it up and came up big when it mattered.

2.8 million for 26 goals and 46 points in 68 games (a 31 goal and 56 point pace) is not a bad deal and its definitely not the numbers of someone you compare to Luke Glendening. No one would be talking about this if Cleary didnt stay around too long, he was absolutely loved during the duration of that contract, no one complained about him and he was a legit top 6 player. Its revisionist history to say it was a bad contract.
But if the choice is between Hossa or Cleary and Samuelsson, you gotta go Hossa. Cleary was a very good player before the injuries slowed him down but Hossa was elite.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
But if the choice is between Hossa or Cleary and Samuelsson, you gotta go Hossa. Cleary was a very good player before the injuries slowed him down but Hossa was elite.

We have no indication Hossa ever really considered a long-term deal here.

I think we all assume he wasn't just about being a one year mercenary...

Remember Hossa could have signed his own contract offer before Franzen.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Go read Taylor Halls quotes about what it was like in Edmonton with no older players or leaders there. You can choose to believe that a guy like Dan Cleary who was basically out of the NHL but worked his bag off, changed his game and eventually made it doesnt have any impact on helping younger players at all, but I think youll be in the minority. As for the contract stuff, you could easily say that any of the good players on those teams are the reason the wings chose between Mule or Hossa. In reality, Holland chose to sign Hudler, Franzen and Samuelsson instead of Hossa so what youre saying isnt true. 2.8 million to Dan Cleary didnt kill the wings cap structure

You know why Taylor Hall is good? Because he has a tonne of skill. You know why hes much better in Jersey than Edmonton? He has a coach that holds him accountable and more vets around him. Hall has come out and said that. Bertuzzi comes right out and says stuff about Cleary and youre quick to say its all BS.

I guess we should all take your word over Bertuzzis on how much of an impact Cleary has had on Bertuzzis career. I mean, you must know better than Bertuzzi on why hes a good player and he doesnt even realize that when he talks in interviews it all just PR fluff pieces!
The Wings had tons of older leaders on their team other than Cleary and still have a few.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
We have no indication Hossa ever really considered a long-term deal here.

I think we all assume he wasn't just about being a one year mercenary...

Remember Hossa could have signed his own contract offer before Franzen.
IIRC he wanted to stay but the Wings didn't have the cap space to retain him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
IIRC he wanted to stay but the Wings didn't have the cap space to retain him.

He received his ability to extend in season. A big part of that in my opinion was Kopecky was also believed to be a package deal. He wasn't staying with how Detroit needed to manage the cap. But both Hossa and Franzen had offered contracts in season. Hossa didn't sign his, I am not sure why, but it is well within the realm of possibility he wasn't going to extend here long-term. I mean we don't talk about that angle much. Plus the fact we knew Hossa would have to miss extended time in the immediate future with reconstructive shoulder surgery at the time of the negotiation, so did the Hawks but just saying that part also seems to be forgotten. It is probably in a large part due to how long ago this happened and wishing away that signing Hossa long-term like the Suter thing seems sort of out of our control. We got sort of close, but hey horseshoes and hand-grenades. I just always like the certainty that he was staying here in this argument...

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
He received his ability to extend in season. A big part of that in my opinion was Kopecky was also believed to be a package deal. He wasn't staying with how Detroit needed to manage the cap. But both Hossa and Franzen had offered contracts in season. Hossa didn't sign his, I am not sure why, but it is well within the realm of possibility he wasn't going to extend here long-term. I mean we don't talk about that angle much. Plus the fact we knew Hossa would have to miss extended time in the immediate future with reconstructive shoulder surgery at the time of the negotiation, so did the Hawks but just saying that part also seems to be forgotten. It is probably in a large part due to how long ago this happened and wishing away that signing Hossa long-term like the Suter thing seems sort of out of our control. We got sort of close, but hey horseshoes and hand-grenades. I just always like the certainty that he was staying here in this argument...
Holland overvalues redundant veteran depth at the expense of cap space (for possible impact players) and the development of younger players.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

That wasnt really the choice though. The choice was mostly between Franzen and Hossa, but with Franzen the wings could still sign Hudler and Samuelsson so they chose to keep some depth by signing all 3. Was Cleary a factor? Yes, but his 2.8 million wasnt the reason Hossa couldnt be signed at all

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
That wasnt really the choice though. The choice was mostly between Franzen and Hossa, but with Franzen the wings could still sign Hudler and Samuelsson so they chose to keep some depth by signing all 3. Was Cleary a factor? Yes, but his 2.8 million wasnt the reason Hossa couldnt be signed at all
Holland overvalues redundant veteran depth at the expense of cap space (for possible impact players) and the development of younger players.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I'm not sure Cleary was redundant veteran depth though. The wings were cup contenders and he was a top 6 winger. Those times are completely different to now. Larkin made the team young, now it looks like Rasmussen and one of Hronek/Cholowski will next year as well. The way wings habdle prospects is completely different from back then (as it should be). Cleary on a team like today's wings would hold back Rasmussen, Cleary at 2.8 million playing in the top 6 of a cup contender is different though and he wasnt even the one who stopped Hossa from signing anyways. Plus I'm not really sure who was being held back back then, the wings didnt have great prospects waiting.

Young guys are getting their chances earlier now as they should be. I dont know why some people fail to see that the philosphy has changed and keep beating the same dead horse. Holland hasnt been holding back good prospects for a while now

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
This team has plenty of youth. What are you talking about?
The Wings already had an overabundance of veteran non first pairing d-men and he signed yet another one last summer resulting in a total of 5 games by rookies on the blueline. Hicketts stood out as the best d-man in the preseason and despite that he certainly deserved to be on the Wings to start the season was sent down.
Even in the regular season games he played in, he looked like our best D-man to me. I don't think there would have been much of a drop off if they went with Hicketts, Russo, Hronek and /or Sulak and even if there was it would have actually been beneficial in the larger scheme of things. Those prospects would have gained some valuable NHL experience and mentorship, the Wings would have had a better evaluation of them, the Wings wouldn't have wasted cap space on something redundant and the Griffs wouldn't have had the logjam on D which they did forcing them to dress 7 d-men for nearly half of the games (thus cutting 15% ice-time for each of them) or scratching Saarijarvi who looked really good in the limited opportunity he was afforded and if it turned out that none of them were as good as Daley (doubtful) is yet, they may have lost a few more games and had a better shot at Dahlin.
Next year we have Cholowski, Sulak and Sambrook coming up and only 2 of the D-men (Green and Renouf) form the past season are unsigned for next year making an already crowded situation even worse (with no first pairing d-men on the team and the ones with possible potential to become one obstructed for opportunity by redundant veteran depth). And I would think that Holland will try to re-sign Green or replace him with a FA acquisition and I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-sign Renouf although he seems like he will never be anything more than a tougher Lashoff.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Pretty brutal year for Webb, too. Yikes. Like, okay, it wasn't working out in Hamilton. 1 point in 31 games. Trade him somewhere else, maybe he can get a fresh start. I guess he technically did triple his points in fewer games: 3 points in 30 games.

A guy like that will be really lucky to be playing hockey for any money at all in a couple of years.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Pretty brutal year for Webb, too. Yikes. Like, okay, it wasn't working out in Hamilton. 1 point in 31 games. Trade him somewhere else, maybe he can get a fresh start. I guess he technically did triple his points in fewer games: 3 points in 30 games.

A guy like that will be really lucky to be playing hockey for any money at all in a couple of years.

I disagree, Webb will be a money player. I have the pleasure of watching him every game, and the stats don't say his value. Webbs main focus is on shutting down top players, playing tough in front of net. I agree, he won't be an NHL player maybe, but he will make a career in Europe playing hockey.

That is the same as Gilmour, he will be a money player overseas.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

It was a pretty Brutal year for every single one of our 2017 Draft outside of Rasmussen. Zablocki and Gallant's point totals drops were depressing. Doubt anyone outside of Rasmussen is ever a meaningful NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad