Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Talk 2018-19: The Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Does it even matter who wins? Halifax is hosting the Memorial Cup, which means if they win their league, the runner-up still gets to come, so Rouyn-Noranda. But if Halifax loses to Rouyn-Noranda, they're hosting, so they still get to go. Either way, both Halifax and Rouyn-Noranda will be there.

This series is almost meaningless.

It's a series for League Championship.

Far from meaningless.

Memorial Cup is not the only meaningful thing in junior hockey. :facepalm:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's a series for League Championship.

Far from meaningless.

Memorial Cup is not the only meaningful thing in junior hockey. :facepalm:

Yeah I'm sure all those jr kids in their last years of junior, some of whom will never play much hockey again, really want to win their league and top it off with a mem cup.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Does it even matter who wins? Halifax is hosting the Memorial Cup, which means if they win their league, the runner-up still gets to come, so Rouyn-Noranda. But if Halifax loses to Rouyn-Noranda, they're hosting, so they still get to go. Either way, both Halifax and Rouyn-Noranda will be there.

This series is almost meaningless.

I don't follow Canadien junior hockey so this is confusing to me. Why does a team (in this instance Halifax) get to play in the Finals just because they are "hosting?" So everyone else has to play for a spot but Halifax gets a free pass no matter how they do? That seems stupid.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't follow Canadien junior hockey so this is confusing to me. Why does a team (in this instance Halifax) get to play in the Finals just because they are "hosting?" So everyone else has to play for a spot but Halifax gets a free pass no matter how they do? That seems stupid.

Well you need 4 teams to play in the mem cup format, and more often than not the host team ends up at least in the finals. They arent just throwing darts and picking a team. They thought Zadina would be back and gave it to Halifax. If the Mooseheads had Zadina they would be major favourites to win it so it wouldnt matter they hosted anyways

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Well you need 4 teams to play in the mem cup format, and more often than not the host team ends up at least in the finals. They arent just throwing darts and picking a team. They thought Zadina would be back and gave it to Halifax. If the Mooseheads had Zadina they would be major favourites to win it so it wouldnt matter they hosted anyways
Not sure if it was good idea to bring Zadina to AHL. Makar just jumped from juniors in NHL playoff

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, a bit weird system.

Imo the Current Champion should be the 4th team.

So new Champion should always go against last year Champion on the round robin.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Make the current Champion being the host City.

You guys are always finding problems when I'm finding solutions. :)

A couple more issues for you to solve:

1) The host rotates through the leagues. The ideas being each league gets to host once every 3 years.

2) Often teams will load up when their window is open. As an example. Acadia-Bathurst went all in last year. As a result, they won but subsequently most of their best players graduated before this current season. They won a total of 8 games this year. I can't imagine giving that team a bye to the mem cup.

The thing to keep in mind, and this is applicable when people talk about putting drafted players in the AHL, is the CHL started as grassroots organization. Often, these towns only have a few thousand people living in them.

So if you restructure the memorial cup and move drafted players to the AHL you are fundamentally creating an existential crisis for the CHL. People need step back and realize they are an independent entity and not an NHL affiliate. Their purpose is to provide kids and communities with development opportunities, not bread NHL players

Last edited:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
The thing to keep in mind, and this is applicable when people talk about putting drafted players in the AHL, is the CHL started as grassroots organization. Often, these towns only have a few thousand people living in them.

So if you restructure the memorial cup and move drafted players to the AHL you are fundamentally creating an existential crisis for the CHL. People need step back and realize they are an independent entity and not an NHL affiliate. Their purpose is to provide kids and communities with development opportunities, not bread NHL players
I see what you're saying but would there actually be that many prospects leaving? I can see the stars moving but the CHL is also for development. An NHL team has only so many contracts to use and many prospects are not mature physically yet. On an AHL team there may not be minutes for these prospects to hone their skills. Do you think that if 30 of the best CHL players left after finishing their draft year , it would harm the CHL?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I see what you're saying but would there actually be that many prospects leaving? I can see the stars moving but the CHL is also for development. An NHL team has only so many contracts to use and many prospects are not mature physically yet. On an AHL team there may not be minutes for these prospects to hone their skills. Do you think that if 30 of the best CHL players left after finishing their draft year , it would harm the CHL?

The problem is the 30 players (and realistically it might not be that many) are the most exciting players and bring the most people out to the games. They have “star power” because they’ve been drafted at the NHl level.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The problem is the 30 players (and realistically it might not be that many) are the most exciting players and bring the most people out to the games. They have “star power” because they’ve been drafted at the NHl level.

I don't think they would bring as many guys to the AHL level as a lot of people think, I also think a few would be returned to junior once they realized they weren't ready for pro hockey by the World Juniors.

One of the more interesting things about this coming online is my guess is NHL teams would use this as leverage over junior teams more often. I need my player in this role or on dumpster fire junior teams, we will let him go back but only if he is traded. That part would give me more fear as the CHL, but ultimately I don't think the NHL needs to be beholden to the CHL anymore, if they don't want to play ball get an agreement going with the USHL and use them for what is being proposed. I think this is coming sometime soon whether the CHL likes it or not. If I was advising them I would say get to the table quickly and try to get as much protection as you can, but allow for 1st rounders or one North American player per organization under 20 to have designated AHL eligibility.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't think they would bring as many guys to the AHL level as a lot of people think, I also think a few would be returned to junior once they realized they weren't ready for pro hockey by the World Juniors.

One of the more interesting things about this coming online is my guess is NHL teams would use this as leverage over junior teams more often. I need my player in this role or on dumpster fire junior teams, we will let him go back but only if he is traded. That part would give me more fear as the CHL, but ultimately I don't think the NHL needs to be beholden to the CHL anymore, if they don't want to play ball get an agreement going with the USHL and use them for what is being proposed. I think this is coming sometime soon whether the CHL likes it or not. If I was advising them I would say get to the table quickly and try to get as much protection as you can, but allow for 1st rounders or one North American player per organization under 20 to have designated AHL eligibility.

Yea and I dont really see where the CHL has a leg to stand on. If the NHL demands that they have that as part of their agreement (1str ounders in AHL or something along those lines), what can the CHL really do? If you say well fine, no one signed to an NHL contract can play in this league, guys will just go to the NCAA. The USHL would likely step right up and be happy to take on these CHL kids. And like you said, I really doubt you would see a lot of guys going right into the AHL. From Detroits recent first rounders I think Cholowski and Rasmussen both stay, Zadina obviously plays in the AHL though. I really doubt any of the top 10 would have changed where they played even if they were eligible in last years draft, maybe Bouchard plays in the AHL but even thats questionable. From 2017, I dunno, maybe Cody Glass plays in the AHL but I doubt any of the other top 10 does either. 2016 I'm thinking only Sergachev.

I just dont see what kind of leverage the CHL could have but even if it does happen I couldnt see them losing a crazy amount of players either. Teams want players to grow and get a man body before they move into the pros. Now they would likely lose a few more guys in their draft +2 years but I dont think it would be some crazy amount

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think the NHL values it’s current relationship with the CHL. I’m not sure they’re as motivated to disrupt this development path as you’re suggesting.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think the NHL values it’s current relationship with the CHL. I’m not sure they’re as motivated to disrupt this development path as you’re suggesting.

I think they are warming up to it. Keep in mind the NHL now owns more of the AHL than independent owners. It is also why at some point this decade you ate likely to see a massive restructuring of that league in terms of locations. California was the beginning of that. I expect some changes at that level to continue.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Kind of stat-watch "know nothing" article. Writer expects McIsaac to be at Grand Rapids at next season. Wont even know the CHL rules.
lol... I had the same thought but re-read it. He says Mc should be at the next level, not that he will be. But I agree that it could have been written in a clearer manner

"This is the type of prospect you can easily get very anxious about. You want to see what he can do at the next level, but you have to remember he's still just 19 years old. "

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Need an ESPN+ Subscription
Prospect pool risers and fallers for every Atlantic Division team

A prospects: Filip Zadina and Joseph Veleno
B prospects: Jared McIsaac, Taro Hirose and Filip Larsson

The Red Wings had some high-profile graduates to the big club last season -- including Michael Rasmussen, Dennis Cholowski and Filip Hronek -- and should have a few more next season. Zadina struggled at times with the transition to the AHL, but he acquitted himself well when he earned a call to the Red Wings. Veleno went off during his most recent QMJHL campaign, displaying more offensive upside and his well-known commitment to two-way play. I also thought McIsaac also showed fringe "A" prospect potential with Halifax this season. His numbers were strong, he made Canada's junior team amid a loaded class of defensemen and he has been extremely reliable.
The Red Wings additionally have a lot of guys who are on the edge of "B" status right now. Hirose was added as an undrafted free agent and made an immediate NHL impact last season. Larsson is an exceptional young goalie with a long way to go, but a lot of potential. The top end of Detroit's prospect pool puts them in the upper third of the league.

Breakout prospect: Jared McIsaac

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For anyone that wants to watch... McIsaac and Halifax is on NHL Network in Game 1 of the Memorial Cup

#14 in Blue

Raed that he was on the ice every shift basically against Leasons line and that he looked really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca