Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Talk 2018-19: The Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
They should just make it so that 1st round picks (out of the CHL) have the option to go straight to AHL. Out of 32 picks every year, maybe 4 or 5 of them are really ready to do that (Outside of straight to NHL types). Of those 4 or 5, 1 or 2 would be CHL guys so I wouldn’t buy a “well there’d be a mass exodus of talent” argument either from owners/GM's.

2015: Strome, Marner, Provorov
2016: Tkachuk, Dubois
2017: Glass, Ramussen
2018: Hayton (but only for 19/20 season not this past one)

A simple change. A couple players a year.

I think teams would love to have their prospects playing against men and would love to move as many 18 and 19 year olds as they can to the A.

Look at what we did with zadina. With the luxury of hindsight I have a hard time believing he was “too good” for the CHL but we still had him in the A. You don’t think other teams would do similar things?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think teams would love to have their prospects playing against men and would love to move as many 18 and 19 year olds as they can to the A.

Look at what we did with zadina. With the luxury of hindsight I have a hard time believing he was “too good” for the CHL but we still had him in the A. You don’t think other teams would do similar things?
Look what Makar does. Every one going with his timing. Sometimes kids got killed in the man league,

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Provided that he gets sufficient ice time, it is without question the right move for Thomson and almost all Euro prospects post draft. You don't need to change the junior age limits, you just need to carve out some exceptions that allow a small number of D+1 players into the AHL.

CHL drafted 1st round picks?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Hey guys, I’m the Red Wings writer at Puck77.com. I just put out a piece on Joe Veleno and would love some feedback from the community. The link is Detroit Red Wings’ Joseph Veleno takes First Step toward NHL Dream

Feel free to reply here or message me on Twitter. I’m @theTonyFerrari
Good read! Just a quick addendum. Veleno will be 19 next season, not 20 (before January 1st), but he is able to play in the AHL due to his 4 years being completed in the CHL due to that exceptional status, not due to his age.

At the age of 20, Veleno will be eligible to play in the American Hockey League with the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
CHL drafted 1st round picks?

Something like that, or maybe one for each organization at any given point in time. The number of D+1 CHL draftees that could effectively play in the AHL is much smaller than anyone wants to admit.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Lindström's Frölunda won the SHL championship but he didn't play much in the playoffs. Not sure if it was due to the injury he had late in the regular season or just other guys playing better.

He missed the first round, played most of the second round but then missed all but the first game of the finals. Not much ice time either, about 10 minutes on average in the games he did play.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

He would have definitely been too good for the Q if he went back another year. He finished 7th in league scoring the year prior to his draft. The only players who finished above him in scoring were 1-3 years older than Zadina and Zadina was the highest rookie scorer in the league. He likely would have completely dominated the league if he went back.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Lindström's Frölunda won the SHL championship but he didn't play much in the playoffs. Not sure if it was due to the injury he had late in the regular season or just other guys playing better.

He missed the first round, played most of the second round but then missed all but the first game of the finals. Not much ice time either, about 10 minutes on average in the games he did play.

He's still having a good time :

Reactions: ChadS

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
McIsaac with 2 Assists tonight, including on the GWG, in a 5-4 Double OT Win for Halifax over Rouyn-Noranda in Game 2... Series now tied up at 1

I support all Wings prospects, naturally. But I'm all in for McIsaac winning a Memorial Cup even if he had to steamroll Veleno or any other prospect to get it.

I stated that I hoped they took him before he was actually picked. He's my favorite future Wing with a bullet and I love it that he's doing so well in high pressure situations. It's pretty rare for me to be so geeked about a CHL prospect; I'm a NCAA hockey fan first and foremost.

firestarter

Mar 11, 2019
Slovakia
I support all Wings prospects, naturally. But I'm all in for McIsaac winning a Memorial Cup even if he had to steamroll Veleno or any other prospect to get it.

I stated that I hoped they took him before he was actually picked. He's my favorite future Wing with a bullet and I love it that he's doing so well in high pressure situations. It's pretty rare for me to be so geeked about a CHL prospect; I'm a NCAA hockey fan first and foremost.
Drafting two guys that led the Q in points per game among F's and D's in their draft+1 season is great. Picking those guys with late 1st/early 2nd round picks while grabing Zadina looks just phenomenal right now. Back to Earth, I hope they can continue with this level of play in the AHL, after some tíme to adjust the next fw years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I love the playoff he is having. Not to nitpick but he could have won the Memorial Cup regardless as Halifax is the host this year.

Still him being the #1 D on a team that goes out and wins the Q championship if that happens and if he consolidates that with a dominant Memorial Cup perhaps they will give him a much longer look in camp and seriously consider keeping him.

We have yet to see how quickly Yzerman will attack some of the driftwood on the back-end. There is a chance McIsaac with nothing left to accomplish in the CHL if he comes in as the reigning #1 on a team that won the Q and the Mem Cup gets a shot. I still don't think it hurts his development to be there a ton, but just he could make a case for accelerating his timeline and that is interesting in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: RabidBadger

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I love the playoff he having. Not to nitpick but he could have won the Memorial Cup regardless as Halifax is the host this year.

Still him being the #1 D on a team that goes out and wins the Q championship if that happens and if he consolidates that with a dominant Memorial Cup perhaps they will give him a much longer look in camp and seriously consider keeping him.

We have yet to see how quickly Yzerman will attack some of the driftwood on the back-end. There is a chance McIsaac with nothing left to accomplish in the CHL if he comes in as the reigning #1 on a team that won the Q and the Mem Cup gets a shot. I still don't think it hurts his development to be there a ton, but just he could make a case for accelerating his timeline and that is interesting in my opinion.

I think a long look but he eventually ends up sent down. This website loves to have themselves a big Noah Dobson circle jerk but McIsaac isnt all that far off from him, if he is at all. McIsaac is playing like that top ten type pick he was projected to be going into his draft year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think a long look but he eventually ends up sent down. This website loves to have themselves a big Noah Dobson circle jerk but McIsaac isnt all that far off from him, if he is at all. McIsaac is playing like that top ten type pick he was projected to be going into his draft year.

I remember Veleno being 2nd ranked, Zadina 4th ranked and McIsaac 7th ranked year before the draft.

Reactions: newfy and Konnan511

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Cannot pretend I am not a big Dobson fan... McIsaac has had a wonderful year, I agree he looks more like the guy being hyped into his draft year than where he wound up getting pick. Good luck is a part of a build and thankfully our scouts weren't scared off picking him where we did. I really like his game.

Reactions: Frk It

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
2 More Assists for McIsaac but Halifax down 4-2 after 2 in Game 3
oof. On the flip side, his play on the 2nd goal against was rather concerning. 3 terrible plays within a span of 10 seconds leading to a goal against.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
2 More Assists for McIsaac but Halifax down 4-2 after 2 in Game 3
Does it even matter who wins? Halifax is hosting the Memorial Cup, which means if they win their league, the runner-up still gets to come, so Rouyn-Noranda. But if Halifax loses to Rouyn-Noranda, they're hosting, so they still get to go. Either way, both Halifax and Rouyn-Noranda will be there.

This series is almost meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad