Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Talk 2018-19: The Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Caught the last 2 games between Halifax and Drummondville. McIsaac has been very tightly matched up against the Comtois line (who looks like a truck out there) and has handled himself extremely well. His line has completely shut them down, except for a 6-5 goal Comtois scored. He has looked real solid this round against strong competition. I haven't always been the biggest McIsaac fan due to questionable decision making with the puck but he has looked great this series, impressive showing.
Veleno has been very underwhelming, although the entire team hasnt got too much going. Game 1 he was a non-factor; today's game he had a few good chances and scored one in garbage time. Disappointing performance for me especially from the viewing I had of him last time in Halifax. Credit to Halifax for shutting him down.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Max Bultman from The Athletic recently put out a really nice article on all of our prospects. I like what he said about Kivenmaki:
His body didn’t allow him to do what his mind and his skill wanted to do,” said Red Wings director of player development Shawn Horcoff of Kivenmaki’s start to the season. “To his credit, he started working out, and I think just playing in general, playing up there, playing in the league got him a little faster, got him stronger. In the second half he really got confidence and finished great. I saw him with about five or six games left in the regular season, he got two points that night. … He knows what he needs to do. We’ve had a good talk with him, we’ve structured what his offseason’s gonna look like, and he’s gonna go to work. I think he’s a guy that hopefully gets off to a good start next year and we see him in the world juniors.”
“We’re pretty excited about him,” added assistant GM Ryan Martin.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I remain incredibly thrilled with our 2018 draft.

The only disappointment has been Berggren, but that is due to injury. He was electric in last years training camp. Hopefully that injury doesn't derail his career.

Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac, Berggren, Kivenmaki

Such an awesome draft

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
We've had good reports on Alec Regula, Seth Barton, and Jesper Eliasson too
I remain incredibly thrilled with our 2018 draft.

The only disappointment has been Berggren, but that is due to injury. He was electric in last years training camp. Hopefully that injury doesn't derail his career.

Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac, Berggren, Kivenmaki

Such an awesome draft

Christien

May 1, 2010
Veleno's team just got eliminated and McIsaac's team moves on. If the Griffins win tonight, we could possibly be seeing Veleno next round in the playoffs for the AHL

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I am not sure he is healthy at this point. I wouldn't count on him being assigned to GR if he isn't 100%...

I think theyve assigned prospects who werent quit 100 percent just to get the experience of being around a pro team. I feel like they did this with the last calder cup team

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think theyve assigned prospects who werent quit 100 percent just to get the experience of being around a pro team. I feel like they did this with the last calder cup team

He would also get access to our doctors at that point. But it is also worth cautioning people that if he is assigned he might need to get that look over first and not be immediately inserted into the lineup. I am happy for him to be assigned there, I think most important is to make sure he hits the ground running and I am sure they have a plan for him already in terms of the off-season.

Though the Griffins are not having a great second period so it might not matter.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Is McIsaac eligible to play in the AHL next year as well? Just like Veleno, it doesn't sound like he needs another year of junior and would be better off turning pro. Even if he doesn't make the Redwings, a year in the AHL would I think be the best avenue for him to develop.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Is McIsaac eligible to play in the AHL next year as well? Just like Veleno, it doesn't sound like he needs another year of junior and would be better off turning pro. Even if he doesn't make the Redwings, a year in the AHL would I think be the best avenue for him to develop.

He is not elligble to join the AHL

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

he would need to turn 20 by December 31st to be able to play in the AHL next year which he doesn't until March 27th

Veleno wouldn't be eligible either but he started playing in juniors a year early due to that exceptional status thing and you can play in the AHL prior to being 20 if you've played 4 seasons in Juniors already

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I see. Too bad. McIsaac would need to turn heads in training camp then to make the Redwings since the AHL is not a possibility. Otherwise he would have to return to his junior team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Won’t kill Jared to go back to Halifax for another year...possibly be Captain...play WJC...and if his team decides to trade him..so be it

They are a top team, why would they trade him, that only makes sense if he was playing for a cellar dweller?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lassi Thomson just picked going back to Finland after Canadian Juniors. He signed back to Ilves Tampere.

Guy isn't even drafted yet (going proably 30-45 overall), but tells about how bad has Canadian Juniors become as developmental league.

Smart guys with other options will want higher competition already at 18-year old. Playing in men's league will develop more. 19/20 year old seasons in a kid league are more and more turning to be stagnated development.

No wonder Holland is pushing a new NHL-CHL deal to change the age limit down by 1 year.

Maybe CHL should change their age limits from 16-20 --> 15-19.

Hockey players are developing faster and younger than ever, so maybe these stone-aged rules should be changed.

Reactions: Konnan511

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Lassi Thomson just picked going back to Finland after Canadian Juniors. He signed back to Ilves Tampere.

Guy isn't even drafted yet (going proably 30-45 overall), but tells about how bad has Canadian Juniors become as developmental league.

Smart guys with other options will want higher competition already at 18-year old. Playing in men's league will develop more. 19/20 year old seasons in a kid league are more and more turning to be stagnated development.

No wonder Holland is pushing a new NHL-CHL deal to change the age limit down by 1 year.

Maybe CHL should change their age limits from 16-20 --> 15-19.

Hockey players are developing faster and younger than ever, so maybe these stone-aged rules should be changed.

Provided that he gets sufficient ice time, it is without question the right move for Thomson and almost all Euro prospects post draft. You don't need to change the junior age limits, you just need to carve out some exceptions that allow a small number of D+1 players into the AHL.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Provided that he gets sufficient ice time, it is without question the right move for Thomson and almost all Euro prospects post draft. You don't need to change the junior age limits, you just need to carve out some exceptions that allow a small number of D+1 players into the AHL.

They should just make it so that 1st round picks (out of the CHL) have the option to go straight to AHL. Out of 32 picks every year, maybe 4 or 5 of them are really ready to do that (Outside of straight to NHL types). Of those 4 or 5, 1 or 2 would be CHL guys so I wouldn’t buy a “well there’d be a mass exodus of talent” argument either from owners/GM's.

2015: Strome, Marner, Provorov
2016: Tkachuk, Dubois
2017: Glass, Ramussen
2018: Hayton (but only for 19/20 season not this past one)

A simple change. A couple players a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->