Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Rankings (#1)

Anchor Town*

Even on potential I cannot put him over Mrazek and Jurco who have incredible ceilings themselves and productive pro resumes in their corner.

And Mantha has blown their respective junior careers out of the water. Depends on how much you weigh your criteria

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And Mantha has blown their respective junior careers out of the water. Depends on how much you weigh your criteria

You know who has one of best years in major junior or NCAA seasons currently in the organization..... Cory Emmerton. Before people go crazy he also entered his draft year as a top 10 prospect in the Hockey News.

I like to mix and match that, but once a guy with extremely high potential is doing very well with things in pro hockey for me he gets an edge, but to each their own.

Like another stated what I like most about Mantha aren't really the huge numbers, but the areas of improvement across the board in his game. I didn't say his potential wouldn't really win out and pretty soon in my process, but just for me I cannot put him over Jurco or Mrazek at this time.

Anchor Town*

You know who has one of best years in major junior or NCAA seasons currently in the organization..... Cory Emmerton. Before people go crazy he also entered his draft year as a top 10 prospect in the Hockey News.

I like to mix and match that, but once a guy with extremely high potential is doing very well with things in pro hockey for me he gets an edge, but to each their own.

Like another stated what I like most about Mantha aren't really the huge numbers, but the areas of improvement across the board in his game. I didn't say his potential wouldn't really win out and pretty soon in my process, but just for me I cannot put him over Jurco or Mrazek at this time.
Yes but you know that even then everybody was saying how Emmerton is good at everything, great at nothing. Not to mention Emmerton regressed each junior season. Plus Emmerton was 5'11" 180 lbs. Mantha is 6'5" 210 lbs. Hardly comparable

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

He had a good year but not a dominant year like Mantha is having.
90 points in 66 games is great and all but I mean Athanasiou is on pace for a better year than that and already has quite a few more goals. Mantha is destroying his league already topping Emmerton's numbers that year in 22 less games. while almost doubling him in goal totals.

I"m not trying to say vote for Mantha he's my number 3 behind Mrazek and Jurco maybe even Sheahan the way he's been playing in the show. but I don't see how you could compare those players when one had a good year and another is having a statement year proving any doubters of his work ethic that he could be consistent.(at least on the score sheet)

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Mantha is #1 without a doubt IMO. His ceiling is higher than anyone else's. To me NHL readiness is not relevant when determining prospect rankings, it's all about what a prospects perceived potential is.

1. Anthony Mantha
2. Tomas Jurco
3. Petr Mrazek
4. Riley Sheahan
5. Ryan Sproul
6. Calle Jarnkrok
7. Teemu Pulkkinen
8. Xavier Ouellet
9. Martin Frk
10. Andreas Athanasiou
11. Mattias Janmark
12. Mattias Backman
13. Alexey Marchenko
14. Landon Ferraro
15. Zach Nastasiuk
16. Jake Paterson
17. Mitch Callahan
18. Nick Jensen
19. Tyler Bertuzzi
20. Richard Nedomlel

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Mantha for me. Don't really understand why a player should be punished just because his competition is playing pro hockey and he is still in juniors only because he was drafted less than a year ago.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Mantha for me. Don't really understand why a player should be punished just because his competition is playing pro hockey and he is still in juniors only because he was drafted less than a year ago.

Because those other players have accomplished difficult transitions. Those are points in their favor. It's not that Mantha is being punished, it's that those other players have added further accomplishments to their resumes and it's unfair to ignore them.

I don't blame anyone for ranking Mantha #1, he's certainly a strong candidate, but Mrazek and Jurco are also strong contenders. It's difficult to compare skaters and goalies, but Mrazek accomplished some pretty impressive things as a junior player as well.

Mrazek for me.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Because those other players have accomplished difficult transitions. Those are points in their favor. It's not that Mantha is being punished, it's that those other players have added further accomplishments to their resumes and it's unfair to ignore them.

I don't blame anyone for ranking Mantha #1, he's certainly a strong candidate, but Mrazek and Jurco are also strong contenders. It's difficult to compare skaters and goalies, but Mrazek accomplished some pretty impressive things as a junior player as well.

Mrazek for me.

So you consider Teemu Pulkkinen, Mitch Callahan, and Landon Ferraro as better prospects than Mantha because they've made the transition to pro? Are Richard Panik and JT Brown better prospects than Jonathan Drouin? Transitioning to pro is part of the development process for any young player. Just doing so does not give a player a higher projection over another player who has yet to make the transition.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So you consider Teemu Pulkkinen, Mitch Callahan, and Landon Ferraro as better prospects than Mantha because they've made the transition to pro? Are Richard Panik and JT Brown better prospects than Jonathan Drouin? Transitioning to pro is part of the development process for any young player. Just doing so does not give a player a higher projection over another player who has yet to make the transition.

Some do, guessing some of them will stop by too, we see that in our regular prospect thread. I like to mix and match it, I am not downgrading Mantha so much as rewarding what Jurco and Mrazek who indeed have tremendous ceilings in their own right have done already as pros. Once again to each their own, guys you named I don't value over him in part because of his ceiling and phenomenal year.

Mantha has exceeded expectations this year, but to be clear I expected him to be a 50+ goal scorer, I expected him to touch near 100 points and play a big role in the WJC. So he had some pretty lofty expectations anyway in terms of that league and coming off a 50 goal season with 89 points. What I am most excited about is the Mantha I have got seen some online, he is more engaged, he is playing the game itself better not just the earth shattering numbers.

He is a guy I have compared to Jeff Carter and James Neal, but until I see it at the pro level that is just going too much on potential. Jurco you can compare to a poor mans Hossa or I think it is Frk It says Voracek which I like. But you have got to see that against men and still think that exists. Like I said it is a balancing act but Mrazek has Top 10 goalie potential and has shown it in pro leagues, Jurco has top line potential and has shown that in pro leagues, they get bonuses for me that Mantha cannot get until next year.

Also is why my list doesn't change a whole lot, but potential certainly wins out at times. I have ranked Tvrdon higher than most for a couple years on this potential angle, that hasn't really worked out that well.

While it is nice that he is decimating his league, most players that sniff the NHL actually have pretty big numbers in junior not Mantha, I am sure somebody will list shortly just what kind of rarefied air he is in right now and was last year in terms of Major Junior and his historical NHL player company. But a couple kids that have made nice transitions to the NHL already and have been great at the AHL level give them an edge at least for me, understand people going the other way, I don't have to agree with it though and I don't see it as a slam dunk. The exciting thing is just how good these guys are, our Top 10 basically has been getting better and better in terms of both ceiling and play. Think about it we graduated guys like Smith, Nyquist and Tatar and in a lot of ways this group is absolutely more impressive that is nice to see. We actually have a lot to argue over they are that good.

Example even being a long-time Sheahan guy, Jarnkrok is still going to beat him out for me because of potential in my mind. It is a case by case basis for some of us, why we do these votes for a group picture.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
What Mantha is doing is amazing but I'm very weary of putting him 1st (or even top 3) based on junior domination. If he dominates the AHL next season then sure, but until then I'm not entirely convinced he's the real deal.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have him at seventh on the list that's available.

Have a hard time seeing how you can justify him over Jurco.

Not only has Jurco reached a ppg level in the AHL incredibly fast for a guy who's only 21, and drafted in 2011. But he's also put in a stint with the Wings where he's shown flashes of brilliance, and hasn't looked out of place at all, on a line that has been a big plus for us.

Also I really think Sheahan should get some added consideration over Jarnkrok for looking great in the NHL so far this year. And making it there before him, considering they were in the same draft class.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Have a hard time seeing how you can justify him over Jurco.

Not only has Jurco reached a ppg level in the AHL incredibly fast for a guy who's only 21, and drafted in 2011. But he's also put in a stint with the Wings where he's shown flashes of brilliance, and hasn't looked out of place at all, on a line that has been a big plus for us.

Also I really think Sheahan should get some added consideration over Jarnkrok for looking great in the NHL so far this year. And making it there before him, considering they were in the same draft class.

I agree. I can't justify putting him a head of Jurco, Sheahan, Mrazek, Jarnkrok, Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Backman and Pulkkinen.

Not saying their career paths or talent are the same but last year many had Frk rated in the top 10 some even higher. I believe Mantha is the most talented prospect we have or have had for some time but I'm not going to start calling him the next one until he proves at a pro level he's got it.

My list:
1. Jurco
2. Sheahan
3. Mrazek
4. Pulkkinen
5. Marchenko
6. Sproul
7. Jarnkrok
8. Ouellet
9. Almquist
10. Backman
11. Mantha
12. Callahan
13. Ferraro
14. Janmark
15. Jensen
16. Athanasiou
17. Nedomlel
18. Frk
19. Tvrdon
T20. Nastasiuk
T20. Paterson

Some will be outraged that he's not even in the top 10 but by the end of the year if he makes the jump early he might sky rocket to the top and be top 3 to start next year. I just don't like to rate junior players to high until they show something against other men.

Let me state again I think Mantha is the most talented prospect we have.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
Jurco. It's wait on see of Mantha for me. I wanna see him snip a couple in the a. Doesn't mean I'm not high on Mantha, I think he very well could be the #1, but right now he is still a man among boys.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
My list:

1. Mrazek
2. Jurco
3. Mantha
4. Sheahan
5. Ouellet
6. Pulkkinen
7. Sproul
8. Jarnkrok
9. Marchenko
10. Backman
11. Callahan
12. Almquist
13. Janmark
14. Athanasiou
15. Paterson

After 15, I just shrug. I do like Nastasiuk, but he's having a mediocre year so far. I also dock Sproul points for how far his d-game needs to come for him to be an NHL regular. I'm also not sold on Marchenko having a ton more upside. I think he's not too far from where he's going to end up.

Last edited:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It's easily Mantha. The numbers don't lie, 40+ goal scorers in juniors almost always pan out as solid NHL players. If we were to trade any of our prospects, he would have the most value out of anyone else.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I love that Jurco is so willing to throw the body around. Makes him much more valuable in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad