Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Rankings (#1)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think too many of you have passed on Jarnkrok because of his down year. It's important to note that Jurco, many of whom here are high on, had a comparable stretch last year as well. Did that detract from Jurco's status as a prospect? Obviously not. Now obviously Jurco, Mantha, and Mrazek are all great prospects all worthy of the position, but I cant believe how many people have basically just moved on from Jarnkrok, I mean I am the only person who voted for him. Come on people, a little scope here.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I think too many of you have passed on Jarnkrok because of his down year. It's important to note that Jurco, many of whom here are high on, had a comparable stretch last year as well. Did that detract from Jurco's status as a prospect? Obviously not. Now obviously Jurco, Mantha, and Mrazek are all great prospects all worthy of the position, but I cant believe how many people have basically just moved on from Jarnkrok, I mean I am the only person who voted for him. Come on people, a little scope here.

Prospect lists are there for guys to move up and down. Currenlty the Wings have 3 prospects we know are ready and can compete at the NHL level. To me that puts them higher then Jarnkrok at this time. Not that he's that far off. I guess it's how you look at the differences between #1, #2 - #5 to me the gap isn't that huge.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

Jurco had just started playing against men and he dominated the second half and had a really good playoffs. Iron Hook is two years older, was playing against men for a few years, than when Jurco was an AHL rookie (20/22). I expected a lot more out of Calle. I expected him to do what Pulu is doing. I still think Calle is going to be a top 9 player, but Jurco is younger and better at this point.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

I'm not trying to speak for everyone but not voting him as #1 =/= moving on from Jarnkrok.

Fact of the matter is he's had a slow adjustment while other highly ranked prospects all of whom (IMO) have higher ceilings have continued to progress nicely, so it's logical for him to drop a few spots.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012

I would've voted for him as well but I saw that Mantha was in the lead and Jurco was the only one who had a chance of cathing him, and since I don't think it's right to have someone without a single pro game to his name as the #1 I went with an "anti-Mantha" vote more than a "pro-Jurco" one.

I usually don't like voting this way but I made an exception here. Nothing against Mantha but I just can't see him as high as many here obviously do. Plus, I'd put Jurco as my #2 so it wasn't that huge of a betrayal of my principles in my mind anyway.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

0+9 = 9 points in last 8 AHL games for Järnkrok.

Getting better, just like Jurco a year ago.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
0+9 = 9 points in last 8 AHL games for Järnkrok.

Getting better, just like Jurco a year ago.

How many of those are to Pulkkinen? Just wondering.

Honestly it seems like Pulkkinen is going to end up lower in these rankings than he should. If I had to guess.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I've not given up on Jarnkrok and still really like him as a prospect, but I think Mrazek, Mantha, and Jurco all have shown enough to suggest they have higher ceilings.

The first time I watched Jarnkrok back in his World Juniors, I loved him game and potential. I seen the player that reminded me of what we had all hoped Filppula could consistently be. And I still think he could reach that and be a real good 2-way, 2nd line center.

Mrazek has obviously shown a ton of promise. Goalies scare me though. They always have and they always will.

Mantha is obviously showing elite prowess at his age group and has most of the physical tools needed to be elite. He has a potential offensive star type ceiling, which makes him an easy pick for many.

And Jurco's growth this past year along with his ability to not look out of place at all in the big league right now speaks volumes. He's got great skill that we've known since day one, but now he's showing a much more rounded game and not afraid to play in the dirty areas. That combination can lead to big, big things.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

Honestly it seems like Pulkkinen is going to end up lower in these rankings than he should. If I had to guess.

Honestly anywhere in the top 10 would arguably would be at top spot on our list 5-6 years ago. Pulkkinen while I think is a lock to be a 2-3rd liner with at minimum 40 point potential I still only see him as number 5ish.

Mrazek
Jurco
Mantha
Sheahan
either of Jarnkrok or Pulkkinen.
Ouellet
Sproul
Marchenko
Backman
Callahan

I do my list based on a combination of Potential and readiness. and all of them beside Mantha and Sproul are completely ready if we needed a player right now. Mantha and Sproul's potential is so high they get bumped into my top 10 above some others who could play right now. Jurco is only ahead of Sheahan because he has top line potential and I see sheahan's peak as at 2nd line center.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Really disagree with all this.

You could make a strong case he's not even the #1 prospect from his draft class.

--Sheahan has 11 pts in 18 games with the Wings this year. Looks very promising.
--Pulkkinen is more productive than Janrkrok in the AHL, and is much stronger physically.

Prospects value changes all the time. Jarnkrok hasn't made nearly as much progress over the last year or so as Sheahan and Pulkkinen have. His ranking should reflect that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Pulks best year in the SM-liiga was his first full season as well. He also played stellar as an underage player, he seems to transition to leagues quickly. That is a credit to him and I realize that he was concentrating on other parts of his game and had some injuries, but I am curious how others in Finland kind of figured him out and that gives me some pause.

It is very nice to see him get his career back on track though, I still have bigger hopes for Jarnkrok though. His recent run of form is more what we expected out of the gate and is certainly nice to see. I think a part of Jarnkrok's numbers are actually the PP, it is an area he has typically dominated and needed to figure out in NA, where they attack a heck of a lot more than they do on the big European ice surfaces. This is why I have always thought of him more in terms of Backstrom than Zetterberg. While Zetterberg is always among the PP leaders, but he doesn't need it as much in terms of overall damage as say Backstrom in my opinion. I think Jarnkrok is similar in terms of where a lot of his points will come from, though he has very solid two-way skills in terms of what we will see 5 on 5.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pulks best year in the SM-liiga was his first full season as well. He also played stellar as an underage player, he seems to transition to leagues quickly. That is a credit to him and I realize that he was concentrating on other parts of his game and had some injuries, but I am curious how others in Finland kind of figured him out and that gives me some pause.

It is very nice to see him get his career back on track though, I still have bigger hopes for Jarnkrok though. His recent run of form is more what we expected out of the gate and is certainly nice to see. I think a part of Jarnkrok's numbers are actually the PP, it is an area he has typically dominated and needed to figure out in NA, where they attack a heck of a lot more than they do on the big European ice surfaces. This is why I have always thought of him more in terms of Backstrom than Zetterberg. While Zetterberg is always among the PP leaders, but he doesn't need it as much in terms of overall damage as say Backstrom in my opinion. I think Jarnkrok is similar in terms of where a lot of his points will come from, though he has very solid two-way skills in terms of what we will see 5 on 5.

I really like Backstrom, if he ended up anything like a Backtstrom-lite, I would be ecstatic.

Do you think he's similar to Granlund at all? I know Granlund is a really talented guy, but there was always concerns because he wasn't that fast, or that strong.

Seems like he has overcome that, and is playing really well this year. Was always interested by him.

Also seems like Jarnkrok is finally turning that corner, and if he keeps up the momentum he's made over the last month or so, he deserves to re-claim a higher spot in our summer polls.

Anchor Town*

Jarnkrok is still ahead of Pulkkinen imo because his offense is coming around (almost equal to Pulkkinen lately), his defensive game is superior, and he plays a position of much greater need to Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really like Backstrom, if he ended up anything like a Backtstrom-lite, I would be ecstatic.

Do you think he's similar to Granlund at all? I know Granlund is a really talented guy, but there was always concerns because he wasn't that fast, or that strong.

Seems like he has overcome that, and is playing really well this year. Was always interested by him.

Also seems like Jarnkrok is finally turning that corner, and if he keeps up the momentum he's made over the last month or so, he deserves to re-claim a higher spot in our summer polls.

I don't really disagree with any of that. It is worth noting that in my opinion Jarnkrok is the best faceoff guy on the Griffins this year and has got in time on the pk and stuck on that unit now. So importantly we are grooming him for a role to break in a little lower and rounding out his entire game.

Brandel*

You know who has one of best years in major junior or NCAA seasons currently in the organization..... Cory Emmerton. Before people go crazy he also entered his draft year as a top 10 prospect in the Hockey News.

I like to mix and match that, but once a guy with extremely high potential is doing very well with things in pro hockey for me he gets an edge, but to each their own.

Like another stated what I like most about Mantha aren't really the huge numbers, but the areas of improvement across the board in his game. I didn't say his potential wouldn't really win out and pretty soon in my process, but just for me I cannot put him over Jurco or Mrazek at this time.

not even comparable, his post draft season (best season) was 1.65ppg and mantha has every indication other than pts (compared to emmerton) to be able to be a better pro transition as well

Would you guys put Jurco ahead of Drouin? I honestly dont get it...

Mantha is #1 without a doubt IMO. His ceiling is higher than anyone else's. To me NHL readiness is not relevant when determining prospect rankings, it's all about what a prospects perceived potential is.

I know people aren't judging based off of nhl readiness but still, other than that he's completely correct

Last edited by a moderator:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
not even comparable, his post draft season (best season) was 1.65ppg and mantha has every indication other than pts (compared to emmerton) to be able to be a better pro as well

Mantha & Jurco are close enough that I give the edge to Jurco. Not only that but Jurco has the higher upside both defensively & in overall play. Mantha is 4th on my list I still have Sproul & Mrazek ahead of him. I think he'll make the adjustment to the pro game but when there are other prospects that are within his value I give the edge to the player in pro.

My list is something like this:

1. Jurco
2. Mrazek
3. Sproul
4. Mantha
5. Jarnkrok
6. Ouellet
7. Sheahan
8. Marchenko
9. Backman
10. Pulkkinen
11. Ferraro
12. Janmark-Nylen
13. Athanaisou
14. Almqvist
15. Jensen
16. Callahan
17. Paterson
18. Frk
19. Nastasiuk
20. Nedomlel
21. James De Haas

Anchor Town*

Mantha & Jurco are close enough that I give the edge to Jurco. Not only that but Jurco has the higher upside both defensively & in overall play. Mantha is 4th on my list I still have Sproul & Mrazek ahead of him. I think he'll make the adjustment to the pro game but when there are other prospects that are within his value I give the edge to the player in pro.

My list is something like this:

1. Jurco
2. Mrazek
3. Sproul
4. Mantha
5. Jarnkrok
6. Ouellet
7. Sheahan
8. Marchenko
9. Backman
10. Pulkkinen
11. Ferraro
12. Janmark-Nylen
13. Athanaisou
14. Almqvist
15. Jensen
16. Callahan
17. Paterson
18. Frk
19. Nastasiuk
20. Nedomlel
21. James De Haas
Why do you have Sproul over Mantha?

Brandel*

McNulty should be at 20 imo id pretty easily take him or even wheaton over nedomlel or de haas or anyone else you dont have listed

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
not even comparable, his post draft season (best season) was 1.65ppg and mantha has every indication other than pts (compared to emmerton) to be able to be a better pro transition as well

I know people aren't judging based off of nhl readiness but still, other than that he's completely correct

I said his year was much better, the point was only to establish that lots of guys are explosive scorers in junior.

That would be a part of why I reserve judgment to him until next year, he cannot get the bonus of playing well in the pros. On the positive side he would have to do something disaster worthy at the pro level to fall too much given his tools and obvious upside.

I also am not a huge stat watcher, it can help arguments, but their is a reason as we work our way down the list I am not going to do back flips over Callahan over Ferraro either.

A big factor for Jurco for me is that Blashill talks non-stop about his work ethic as well. That is something all star players need and also a big reason he turned around a turbulent start in the AHL. It is what it is, I see two guys with first line potential with Mantha having slightly more, but I see Jurco doing his at the pro level and his game continuing to rise with each passing month at the pro level because of his work ethic and for me that has earned him the #1 position.

By the way if we are going on just outright potential, Sproul should beat Mantha. Sproul's super unrealistic he knocks everything out of the park is a 50 or 60+ point D-man that wins a Norris.

Brandel*

I said his year was much better, the point was only to establish that lots of guys are explosive scorers in junior.

That would be a part of why I reserve judgment to him until next year, he cannot get the bonus of playing well in the pros. On the positive side he would have to do something disaster worthy at the pro level to fall too much given his tools and obvious upside.

I also am not a huge stat watcher, it can help arguments, but their is a reason as we work our way down the list I am not going to do back flips over Callahan over Ferraro either.

A big factor for Jurco for me is that Blashill talks non-stop about his work ethic as well. That is something all star players need and also a big reason he turned around a turbulent start in the AHL. It is what it is, I see two guys with first line potential with Mantha having slightly more, but I see Jurco doing his at the pro level and his game continuing to rise with each passing month at the pro level because of his work ethic and for me that has earned him the #1 position.

By the way if we are going on just outright potential, Sproul should beat Mantha. Sproul's super unrealistic he knocks everything out of the park is a 50 or 60+ point D-man that wins a Norris.

Mantha doesn't have a super unrealistic potential to be a top 3 scorer in the league and mrazek to be the best goalie in the nhl?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Why do you have Sproul over Mantha?

I like that Sproul is producing offense at the next level & he's become more consistent this year with his overall defensive play. Sproul still has work to do with his game but I like how he has played thus far in the AHL.

McNulty should be at 20 imo id pretty easily take him or even wheaton over nedomlel or de haas or anyone else you dont have listed

It's personal preference at that point.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Mantha doesn't have a super unrealistic potential to be a top 3 scorer in the league and mrazek to be the best goalie in the nhl?

Neither have that high end. Mantha likely tops out as 40-40 guy, which in itself is an extremely high ceiling & goalies are far to hard to predict. In order for Mantha to be a top 3 scorer he'd have to get between 90-100+ points & I don't see him being able to do that right now.

Mantha's most likely comp is Neal or Carter & neither player is top 3, 5, 10 or 15 in the league from a pure offensive stand point. I don't think even the craziest projections would have Mantha being that high.

Brandel*

Neither have that high end. Mantha likely tops out as 40-40 guy, which in itself is an extremely high ceiling & goalies are far to hard to predict. In order for Mantha to be a top 3 scorer he'd have to get between 90-100+ points & I don't see him being able to do that right now.

Mantha's most likely comp is Neal or Carter & neither player is top 3, 5, 10 or 15 in the league from a pure offensive stand point. I don't think even the craziest projections would have Mantha being that high.

Did you not read my post or just decide to neglect the idea and give me some player comparable and your rough stat estimates? There's no reason to believe that either of those players have a 0% chance of that happening. Obviously it's extremely unlikely but we were talking about their absolute not-going-to-happen max potentials. Like 100% potential, 0% everything else. Only potential. Basically a pointless discussion anyway.

It's personal preference at that point.

Obviously. The entire list is personal preference. Nedomlel has basically 0 value, while McNulty is still worth a solid 6th rounder and has NHL potential. I really don't see Nedomlel having more than a 1% chance of ever making the NHL, if that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad