Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Rankings (#1)

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
**Voting has finished link to #2 poll http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1602835**

So to give us something to do over the Olympic break I figured we can get a mid-season ranking done for the prospects in the organization.

Here is what the top 24 looked like from the last rankings: (Props to TZE)

The Zetterberg Era said:
1.) Calle Järnkrok - 21, C/RW: 6'0" 176 lbs. Gävle, SWE 52.50%
2.) Petr Mrázek - 21, G: 6'1" 187 lbs. Ostrava, CZE 63.00%
3.) Tomas Jurco - 20, LW/RW: 6'2" 195 lbs. Kosice, SVK 74.16%
4.) Ryan Sproul - 20, RD: 6'4" 200 lbs. Mississauga, ON, CAN 46.67%
5.) Xavier Ouellet - 19, D: 6'1" 190 lbs. Bayonne, FRA 78.02%
6.) Anthony Mantha - 18, RW/LW: 6'4" 190 lbs. Longueuil, QC, CAN 35.25%
7.) Riley Sheahan - 21, C: 6'2" 212 lbs. St. Catharines, ON, CAN 36.04%
8.) Martin Frk - 19, RW: 6'0" 203 lbs. Bochov, CZE 47.73%
9.) Mattias Bäckman - 20, D: 6'2" 176 lbs. Linköping, SWE 55.42%
10.) Landon Ferraro - 21, C/RW: 6'0 179 lbs. Burnaby, BC, CAN 30.23%
11.) Teemu Pulkkinen - 21, RW: 5'10" 198 lbs. Vantaa, FIN 30.28%
12.) Alexei Marchenko - 21, RD: 6'2" 183 lbs. Moscow, RUS 35.71%
13.) Nick Jensen - 22, RD: 6'1" 194 lbs. Rogers, MN, USA 57.69%
14.) Andreas Athanasiou - 18, LW: 6'2" 187 lbs. Mississauga, ON, CAN 38.04%
15.) Adam Almqvist - 22, D: 5'11" 174 lbs. Jönköping, SWE 40.51%
16.) Marek Tvrdoň - 20, LW: 6'2" 218 lbs. Nitra, SVK 51.25
17.) Mattias Janmark - 20, C/LW: 6'1" 190 lbs. Stockholm, SWE 36.90%
18.) Jake Paterson - 19, G: 6'2" 183 lbs. Mississauga, ON, CAN 45.90%
19.) Zach Nastasiuk - 18, RW: 6'1" 190 lbs. Barrie, ON, CAN 39.47%
20.) Luke Glendening - 24, C/RW: 5'11" 200 lbs. Grand Rapids, MI, USA 50.72%
21.) Richard Nedomlel - 20, D: 6'5" 231 lbs. Praha, CZE 32.50%
22.) Mike McKee - 19, D/W: 6'5" 256 lbs. Newmarket, ON, CAN 31.75%
23.) Mitch Callahan - 22, RW: 6'0" 200 lbs. Whittier, CA, USA 47.46%
24.) Tyler Bertuzzi - 18, LW: 6'1" 178 lbs. Sudbury, ON, CAN 53.03%

According to HF definitions it appears Glendenning is the only prospect to have "graduated" so he will not be ranked.

Now since the break isn't that long and I want to squeeze in at least the top 15 the polls will be running quickly so please vote fast, and don't forget to vote for the next to add as well.

Last edited:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Going with Jurco here as I like his pro experience and his ceiling is still very high, Mantha dominating the Q and Mrazek showing no signs of slowing made it kinda of tough though.

Also going with Pulkkinen as the add.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Going to do this with the same ratings I had a month ago, but with Sheahan up a nice jump.

What I had
1.) Tomas Jurco
2.) Anthony Mantha
3.) Petr Mrazek
4.) Calle Jarnkrok
5.) Ryan Sproul
6.) Xavier Ouellet
7.) Riley Sheahan
8.) Teemu Pulkkinen
9. Landon Ferraro
10.) Alexei Marchenko

What I have now
1.) Tomas Jurco
2.) Anthony Mantha
3.) Petr Mrazek
4.) Riley Sheahan
5.) Calle Jarnkrok
6.) Ryan Sproul
7.) Xavier Ouellet
8.) Teemu Pulkkinen
9. Landon Ferraro
10.) Alexei Marchenko

Yes, I have Sheahan above Jarnkrok...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No offense... but should have started with Backman and Pulkkinen as options before adding Frk.

But yes, please add Pulkkinen for the next round.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
No offense... but should have started with Backman and Pulkkinen as options before adding Frk.

But yes, please add Pulkkinen for the next round.

My bad.

I just picked up the top 8 from last time for the options, but you're right though.

Seeing as most are pretty down on him I think I'll take him out next round until he's voted in as the add.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just picked up the top 8 from last time for the options, but you're right though.

Ah shoot, didn't even realize that.

Seems like eternities ago where Frk was thought of as a top 8 prospect :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jurco has the tools to be a really REALLY good winger if he puts everything together.

I said in another thread that I think a Voracek-like is something he could turn into, still think that's a pretty solid comparison.

Also saw in another thread where some felt like we have "several" power forwards coming up in the system. Maybe I have a different definition of what a "power forward" is, but Jurco is really the only one out of the big 3 (Sheahan/Mantha/Jurco) that actually hits and plays the body regularly, and aggressively.

Now maybe in time both Sheahan, and Mantha will more as they get older. But at the moment, Jurco's the guy who most resembles an actual "power forward" IMO. He delivers some punishing hits, and I think after awhile, opponents will start to be a little cautious when he's out on the ice. Which is fantastic.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Went with Jurco here. While he hasn't been lighting up the score sheet he's shown a willingness to use his size and it's helped him create quite a but of offence. I do think he should play the rest of the year in GR & possibly even part of next season as well so he can continue to round out his game.

I'd add Backman here.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Voted Jurco. Mrazek and Mantha both strong contenders but Jurco has been PPG in the AHL which is a higher league than the QMJHL. Mrazek's numbers are fantastic but goalies are a volatile position so that could easily change.

Add Pulkkinen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Went with Mrazek. Don't typically like going high with goalies, but he's got among the three highest ceilings for our prospects (Mantha and Sproul being the others) and he's looking more and more like he'll either reach it, or come close. He's having a very strong second year pro, with sv%s over .920 in GR and Detroit. Just no reason to doubt the kid.

edit: and add Pulkkinen.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Mrazek. Doing great in ahl and looked real good in nhl. Has potential to become a elite goalie in the future

Add Pulkkinen

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Only reason why I'm down on Mrazek is because Mantha and a couple other guys have climbed a bunch. Mantha has really silenced a lot of my doubts with his season, regardless of the rewards he'll end up winning or the stats he has put up, it his the fact that he has improved on his game that is the biggest reason I voted for him to be so high.

Add Pulkkinen. Remove Frk.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ah shoot, didn't even realize that.

Seems like eternities ago where Frk was thought of as a top 8 prospect :laugh:

Well he wasn't by everyone.:laugh:

I was surprised by the margin he won by this summer

Well I set up the poll to run for 3 days it was close all the way and expired at 2:55. So conspiracy theory all you want, nobody else was voting and Sheahan won by a vote.

You're right I did vote for him, but not why it worked out that way. Sort of, when you win by a vote I guess I could have been the decider, although I wasn't the last two votes he gained.

I don't have Frk in my top 10, just barely out of it, when he wins he will go up and if he won by a single vote he would have gone up.

We could do a runoff if they are that close, but I think you should know that when you vote in the first place. Voting for the third party in the election might be great in principle but not the best idea if you want to make sure one of the two doesn't win.

Funny to think back to this because I was getting grilled because I have always been a big Sheahan fan and he narrowly beat out Frk in the round before that.

What is interesting is if Frk even lands in the Top 15 this go round. Jarnkrok and Frk are likely to fall dramatically in this, I don't think Jarnkrok should fall as much as he is about to, but we will see.

Frk showed up out of shape this year and has been very disappointing. But not everyone was as bullish on him this summer, Athanasiou or Callahan might be good comparison for what is about to happen, some are very high on him and will vote him out in front of probably his true position.

I also expect Ferraro to tumble big time.

Point Shot

Keep It Realgud
Feb 12, 2013
1. Mantha
2. Mrazek
3. Jurco
4. Sheahan
5. Jarnkrok
6. Sproul
7. Pulkkinen
8. Ouellet
9. Backman
10. Marchenko

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well he wasn't by everyone.:laugh:

I was surprised by the margin he won by this summer

Funny to think back to this because I was getting grilled because I have always been a big Sheahan fan and he narrowly beat out Frk in the round before that.

What is interesting is if Frk even lands in the Top 15 this go round. Jarnkrok and Frk are likely to fall dramatically in this, I don't think Jarnkrok should fall as much as he is about to, but we will see.

Frk showed up out of shape this year and has been very disappointing. But not everyone was as bullish on him this summer, Athanasiou or Callahan might be good comparison for what is about to happen, some are very high on him and will vote him out in front of probably his true position.

I think Frk, Tvrdon, Ferraro, and Jensen are all going to tumble. With Frk dropping the most.

Sheahan, Janmark, and Pulkkinen will be the biggest risers.

I always thought that one of Pulkkinen or Frk would be a solid RH NHL goal scorer with their big shots. I just always thought Frk had a better shot of being that guy than Teemu. But it looks now like it is in fact the other way around.

But I am fine as long as one of the guys makes it as a goal scorer in the NHL.

Also I still don't think Frk is done just yet, even though you really like spinning your wheels on him ;)

Aug 6, 2012
I wouldn't get too down on Frk. People forget that Jurco struggled mightily his first half pro season, and now he's one of our top prospects. I don't think Frk will have as dramatic an improvement, but he's still got loads of potential.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Have a feeling Mantha is going to get voted our #1 prospect, but I don't think he deserves it just yet....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Frk, Tvrdon, Ferraro, and Jensen are all going to tumble. With Frk dropping the most.

Sheahan, Janmark, and Pulkkinen will be the biggest risers.

I always thought that one of Pulkkinen or Frk would be a solid RH NHL goal scorer with their big shots. I just always thought Frk had a better shot of being that guy than Teemu. But it looks now like it is in fact the other way around.

But I am fine as long as one of the guys makes it as a goal scorer in the NHL.

Also I still don't think Frk is done just yet, even though you really like spinning your wheels on him ;)

I don't think Frk is done yet, but his summer will be telling, he has a lot of work to do on his game. He has actually looked a lot better to the eye test lately, you cannot come into professional hockey out of shape, he better have learned that this year.

Have always only cared that one of them made it really because of their similarities I only envision them carrying one, though it would be nice if Frk at least turned himself back into a trade chip.

I have never and still won't buy that he was just a product of his other phenomenal teammates, with that said he deserves to tumble, he still has a lot of work to do in his game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think Frk is done yet, but his summer will be telling, he has a lot of work to do on his game. He has actually looked a lot better to the eye test lately, you cannot come into professional hockey out of shape, he better have learned that this year.

Have always only cared that one of them made it really because of their similarities I only envision them carrying one, though it would be nice if Frk at least turned himself back into a trade chip.

I have never and still won't buy that he was just a product of his other phenomenal teammates, with that said he deserves to tumble, he still has a lot of work to do in his game.

Went back and was reading some notes and excerpts from Training Camp last July....

Some attendees said that Frk looked absolutely worn out in July of last year, after playing 90+ hockey games between QMJHL Reg Season + WJC with Czech + and then long Memorial Cup run. So maybe he thought (wrongfully so) he could take the rest of the summer off to try and recover.

I don't know. But I agree he deserves to tumble. His stock's definitely dipped.

Pulkkinen deserves a ton of credit for the progress he's made and the work he's put in. Always liked Frk because I thought he would translate better as a bottom 6er if he doesn't make it in top 6, because he hits and can play a gritty game.

But really, I just desperately want a righty with a big slap shot for the point. Whether that's Sproul, or Pullks, or Frk I don't care. I'm so sick of our crap point shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad