Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Rankings (#1)

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Neal missed 20 games due to injury, but his current pace is behind only Sidney Crosby (and Malkin and Stamkos if we average out their injury-riddled seasons as well). He's very easily top-10 offensively, and I'd say safely top-5 as well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mantha doesn't have a super unrealistic potential to be a top 3 scorer in the league and mrazek to be the best goalie in the nhl?

Nope, not for me he doesn't especially in a league that will still have Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, MacKinnon and McDavid in it.

We will see St. Louis and Ovechkin certainly score a lot for wingers, but I think that is too tall a mountain. 10-11 is the only year I can think of with a strange winger led year, even then Crosby had the highest ppg ratio. I don't think he is going to be a Jagr or Ovechkin, every other winger has to place high has played with a consensus top 5 center really save Iginla. This would surprise me a great deal.

Sproul needs to get better on D, but he legitimately should score a ton of points and put him in the Norris conversation if his D even becomes passable, the issue with Sproul is just how good his D can get that is why it isn't very realistic.

Well it looks like Mantha will be off the board, but I would have voted for Mrazek over him next. Would be interesting if he could become that guy, see him as a Top 10 guy in the league maybe he gets a Vezina one of those years. I do have Gibson over him as the best goaltending prospect in the world though.

When I put his ceiling at a guy like Neal or Carter while that is extremely exciting it does say something. Could Neal finish top 3 in scoring, yeah but everyone would credit his elite center that is a part of the picture. Make no mistake Marty St. Louis won his Art Ross trophy when Vinny was still elite and once Stamkos made the steps to the true elite status.

We will see I would be ecstatic if where his big season has led some people to put his projections becomes true. I compare him to all-star players already so it isn't like I sell the guy incredibly short, but do I think he is going to have the career of a top 3 pick or 1st overall like that would attach, no I do not and there is a reason he was not taken there. Being a Perry or Iginla in terms of guys that have had massive seasons and won some hardware fine and went a little lower in the first round would be spectacular. Wing scores aren't really as consistent like that, part of why those two have had up and down production. We will see, what he is doing in the Q is awfully special and that number 1 is in all likelihood his in short order if he transitions to pro hockey the right way, but I have to see it first.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Did you not read my post or just decide to neglect the idea and give me some player comparable and your rough stat estimates? There's no reason to believe that either of those players have a 0% chance of that happening. Obviously it's extremely unlikely but we were talking about their absolute not-going-to-happen max potentials. Like 100% potential, 0% everything else. Only potential. Basically a pointless discussion anyway.

Yes but the point is that I don't think Mantha has that kind of potential in the first place, while the others are much more likely to happen than Mantha's extreme.

Obviously. The entire list is personal preference. Nedomlel has basically 0 value, while McNulty is still worth a solid 6th rounder and has NHL potential. I really don't see Nedomlel having more than a 1% chance of ever making the NHL, if that.

Nedomlel is closer to the NHL & both McNulty and Nedomlel both have the same 3rd pairing dman future. The fact that Nedomlel is a tough, stay at home dman is why I put him over the rest.

Neal missed 20 games due to injury, but his current pace is behind only Sidney Crosby (and Malkin and Stamkos if we average out their injury-riddled seasons as well). He's very easily top-10 offensively, and I'd say safely top-5 as well.

I'd take Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Crosby, Ovi, Giroux, Stamkos, Karlsson, Getzlaf, Perry, Tavares, Kane, Kessel & Malkin over him. I guess you could argue that he's in the 9-14 range but I think he's closer to the 20-30 range. I personally feel he's just a 30-35 guy without Malkin & not the 40-45 guy he is with Malkin.

In terms of goal scorers he's likely top 5 or top 10 but I assumed we were talking about overall offensive ability?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Neal has been fantastic when in the lineup this year. Now is Mantha likely to play with the kind of centers he plays with? Absolutely not, would be awesome if him and Jarnkrok or him and Sheahan form that kind of relationship though.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Neal has been fantastic when in the lineup this year. Now is Mantha likely to play with the kind of centers he plays with? Absolutely not, would be awesome if him and Jarnkrok or him and Sheahan form that kind of relationship though.

Indeed.

Some people feel they have a pretty good handle on how good Mantha is going to be, but until a kid goes pro, the range of how good they will be is still pretty wide, from a predictive standpoint. We're all just guessing. For wingers, their center is a big factor as well. In a vacuum, I can see Mantha being anywhere from a yearly 25-25-50 guy to a yearly 40-40-80 guy. If I had to place a bet, today, I'd peg him as winding up almost exactly in between those numbers; about 65 points with a roughly even split between goals and assists. Somewhere in the Carter/Neal/Nash grouping.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Indeed.

Some people feel they have a pretty good handle on how good Mantha is going to be, but until a kid goes pro, the range of how good they will be is still pretty wide, from a predictive standpoint. We're all just guessing. For wingers, their center is a big factor as well. In a vacuum, I can see Mantha being anywhere from a yearly 25-25-50 guy to a yearly 40-40-80 guy. If I had to place a bet, today, I'd peg him as winding up almost exactly in between those numbers; about 65 points with a roughly even split between goals and assists. Somewhere in the Carter/Neal/Nash grouping.

Those are heck of players to be placed along, even though I hate Nash's praise at times in hockey circles I would still love to draft him, just not pay his salary or give up the assets to acquire him.:laugh:

Still scoring will have a lot to do with the talent around him, at the pro level they are good at shutting people down. Nash is what happens when you never really get a true top line center, look at his numbers, Neal is what happens when you get that kind of setup.

We will see, I mean we are using all-star players for him and that is a very good sign. I hope he hits that, next year will be telling if we can continue to remain this high on him, he will need to be ready for the next challenge and not necessarily buy into just how dominant he has been. One thing in his favor is he has to be that guy for his team to be good, they were supposed to be pretty bad this year and he has had to will them into being good. I hope though he has big plans for the summer, it is still important that he goes into the off-season with a I haven't accomplished close to what I want to kind of attitude. He should remember things like how he was almost cut from the WJC and some of the questions asked about his whole game and commitment, I hope it drives him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This thread is a great start for the prospect polls :thumbu:

Good discussion so far. We're lucky to have a guy like Mantha, even if we disagree on his current rank in our organization.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Yes I know it's still close and the poll doesn't actually close till tonight but I want to get a move on to the 2nd poll so I'm going to declare the winner and move to the next poll at noon et.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->