GDT: Detroit Red Wings @ Los Angeles Kings | 10/7/2018 | 10:30PM ET | FSD

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
One thing that should be pointed out is Detroit had a ton of shots, but their 5 on 5 HDCF% was tied with the Kings. They got a lot of chances, but not many of them were great chances.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
No, I've got a good handle on what it is, thanks.

He did more than just skate fast.

He blew a golden opportunity on the breakaway but he's still the one who cut off the pass and broke it up in the first place. He was going hard to the net, he was backchecking. He was noticeable out there but actually in a good way.

What is people's deal with this guy?

I will tell you what the deal with this guy is, he always leaves u wanting more from him. The talent is there but he cannot put it all together. He is clearly not a center and is a winger (Asshills fault not his). He wants to get paid but doesnt produce.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
He wasn't nearly as good as Bert, Larkin, Mantha, Nyquist, or Ehn (his defense is going to make LGD expendable). He was middle of the pack. Other than a breakaway he still made a ton of stupid decisions and shouldn't be a center.
You need to take up a hobby man. The post game negativity just gets repetitive... Most of us agree AA was one of the better players and team played well and you just have to find a way to be negative. Absurd.

Reactions: Filppula

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Arguably just as encouraging as Cholowski has been Larkin. Obviously we're only two games into the season and those against two middle of the pack teams, but I expected him to struggle with #1C duties. (Though his work on the dot is abysmal, FWIW)

It seems he took offense to his own shooting percentage last year and worked on his shot during the offseason because I don't remember it being this good. He's gotten really, really good at threading the puck through traffic.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He wasn't nearly as good as Bert, Larkin, Mantha, Nyquist, or Ehn (his defense is going to make LGD expendable). He was middle of the pack. Other than a breakaway he still made a ton of stupid decisions and shouldn't be a center.
Ehn??

When you're including a guy who played 7 and a half minutes tonight as a relevant comparison let alone as better than AA, maybe there's other things influencing your opinion.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You need to take up a hobby man. The post game negativity just gets repetitive... Most of us agree AA was one of the better players and team played well and you just have to find a way to be negative. Absurd.

No, most people agree he is a guy who is talented but never puts it together in a meaningful way.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
AA reminds me a lot of Filppula in the early 10s. Trying to stickhandle like Datsyuk when he's really more like Helm. :laugh:

Calm down people, I'm not saying he's got Helm hands, I'm just saying he tries to do things he's not really capable of doing.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ehn??

When you're including a guy who played 7 and a half minutes tonight as a relevant comparison let alone as better than AA, maybe there's other things influencing your opinion.

I was rating him based on the game he played as a fourth liner who played the PK very well as a rookie. I really like him as a new shutdown center/PKer.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I will tell you what the deal with this guy is, he always leaves u wanting more from him. The talent is there but he cannot put it all together. He is clearly not a center and is a winger (Asshills fault not his). He wants to get paid but doesnt produce.
I don't disagree about the wanting more part. I'm just saying he played well tonight.

Usually he's good at finishing on breakaways so I'm not worried about that part just because it wasn't there tonight. Normally the only time I notice him is when the puck is on his stick and he's trying to do it all himself, for better or worse. But tonight he was a factor even without the puck.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Ehn??

AA looked good this game, but 9 times out of 10 he doesn't do the little things that set apart an okay player from a good player, and a good player from a great player.

So the question is, will AA perform the same next game?

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
No, most people agree he is a guy who is talented but never puts it together in a meaningful way.
Unfortunately, this is a thread of the Kings Red Wings game tonight. In this game he played well. No need to talk about how you feel about him (despite reminding everyone every post game) in a game he played good.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I was rating him based on the game he played as a fourth liner who played the PK very well as a rookie. I really like him as a new shutdown center/PKer.
Right.

So you were saying AA played worse than a 4th liner who played 7 and a half minutes tonight.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
AA looked good this game, but 9 times out of 10 he doesn't do the little things that set apart an okay player from a good player, and a good player from a great player.

So the question is, will AA perform the same next game?
I agree. But christ on a cracker, all I said was he had a good game tonight and people won't even give him that?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Right.

So you were saying AA played worse than a 4th liner who played 7 and a half minutes tonight.

I am saying that I think in their given roles Ehn was more effective. AA was still very poor as center, still was burned a ton, and still made some stupid decisions (2 unscreened shots on the PP with the goalie making hard eye contact with him as case in point). He had a good game, he was in the top group of forwards, but when you look at things based on their roles, Ehn had a very good game.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Unfortunately, this is a thread of the Kings Red Wings game tonight. In this game he played well. No need to talk about how you feel about him (despite reminding everyone every post game) in a game he played good.
He didn't play well. It wasn't his worst game, sure. But he didn't impact the game at all.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

He played fine, I just think that Larkin, Mantha, Nyquist, and Bert were better, and I would argue that Ehn was also a standout. He played like he should most games, as a middle six guy, he looked like a middle six guy.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Blash says no Daley tomorrow.

From the look of it, his brain probably ping ponged around in his skull.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
If you were the coach you would probably want a Ehn-Glendening-Drew Miller first line. Defensive play only!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If you were the coach you would probably want a Ehn-Glendening-Drew Miller first line. Defensive play only!

No, but having a guy who as a rookie can help shutdown Kopitar and Kovalchuk on the powerplay is a really good thing to have going forward and something that was missing before.

And, you're acting like AA did something special by being somewhat noticeable this game. He should be this noticeable at minimum given his own thoughts on his play, and the way you talk about him.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I agree. But christ on a cracker, all I said was he had a good game tonight and people won't even give him that?
Honestly, Lazlo, AA has burned us so many times that there will be people that have written him off, so you're gonna get that. I'm almost there but games like today, and that fact he (hopefully knows) is playing for a good contract, and Blashill has given him what he wanted in a bigger role, I hope he can put it together consistently. It's do or die, let's root for do.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Honestly, Lazlo, AA has burned us so many times that there will be people that have written him off, so you're gonna get that. I'm almost there but games like today, and that fact he (hopefully knows) is playing for a good contract, and Blashill has given him what he wanted in a bigger role, I hope he can put it together consistently. It's do or die, let's root for do.

The problem is that given his talent this should be an off game for him, not one people celebrate. Its his constant floating that makes him being noticeable as some type of good game for him. His worst nights should be one where he is snake bitten and not doing well as a center, but instead people are singing love songs to him over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad