GDT: Detroit Red Wings @ Los Angeles Kings | 10/7/2018 | 10:30PM ET | FSD

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
upload_2018-10-6_19-46-7.png

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Looks like Jensen is in and Hicketts is odd man out.

Cholowski getting to try left D this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larkin1578

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting to see how our big guys match with LA Kings big guys. That team is damn slow, and usually it has been a good matchup for us. I'd like to have big and fast team in the future, so Rasmussen, Mantha etc against those Carters etc. will be interesting.

Hattrick for Nyquist would do good for his trade value... :naughty:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Interesting to see how our big guys match with LA Kings big guys. That team is damn slow, and usually it has been a good matchup for us. I'd like to have big and fast team in the future, so Rasmussen, Mantha etc against those Carters etc. will be interesting.

Hattrick for Nyquist would do good for his trade value... :naughty:
If he gets 80points we will keep him©

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If after the West Coast trip we're still flat offensively, other than 1st line, I'd try:

Vanek/Bert--Larkin--Mantha
Bert/Vanek--Nielsen--Nyquist
Raz-AA-Helm
Glen-Ehn-Abby

If Nyquist & Larkin sustain good chemistry, Mantha can play w/Nielsen to balance the attack.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If after the West Coast trip we're still flat offensively, other than 1st line, I'd try:

Vanek/Bert--Larkin--Mantha
Bert/Vanek--Nielsen--Nyquist
Raz-AA-Helm
Glen-Ehn-Abby

If Nyquist & Larkin sustain good chemistry, Mantha can play w/Nielsen to balance the attack.
We need to play a stronger overall possession game. That's all there is to it. I wouldn't touch line combos much until the ~10 game mark at least when things start to settle in.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
UGH, if Jensen is in and Hicketts out! Hicketts has already in 6 NHL games, shown more than Jensen will ever show, in a zillion games. Staple Jensen to the press box or move him out for 7th rounder! Good message to send Hicketts too, play pretty well, shows some physicality, "Hey, we are going to let you sit, so this guy I like can play, OK! Don't worry though he isn't good at anything!"

Reactions: Hinterland

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
We need to play a stronger overall possession game.

Unfortunately, we don't have the tools to do that right now. Cholowski and Hronek can help the transition game, but we don't have the dominate centers to play that game...yet. Larkin is getting better, but he still plays a better forecheck game.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
UGH, if Jensen is in and Hicketts out! Hicketts has already in 6 NHL games, shown more than Jensen will ever show, in a zillion games. Staple Jensen to the press box or move him out for 7th rounder! Good message to send Hicketts too, play pretty well, shows some physicality, "Hey, we are going to let you sit, so this guy I like can play, OK! Don't worry though he isn't good at anything!"

I agree 100%. Jensen should be the one out...he's brutal. At this point might as well go with the young guys.

Reactions: Oddbob

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think it’s a decent decision. 4 rookies on D is a bit much. At least while they all have <10 games under their belt.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Next time Hicketts plays watch how often the other team dumps to his corner or cycles the puck to his spot to take advantage of his size. I thought he was our worst D-man the other night. Not because he wasn't engaged, but just because they can expose him easier. Now Blashill didn't treat him like he did during the 5 games last year where he was shielded as much as possible from defensive zone starts, though he had an even 50/50 split 5 on 5. But he has to get out of there when he is starting out in the d-zone and not get pinned.

He didn't do anything to ward off Jensen drawing in. Both guys are #6/7 D-man in this league that is what they are. Against another heavy forecheck team in LA they have decided to go with more speed and a player that can cut off the pressure on cycles with speed at times. Neither guy is a world beater but no Hicketts isn't an automatic play he isn't that good people as great of a story as it is to make the league at his size this isn't a novelty league. He was the worst Wings d-man the other night in my opinion and he is going to sit, maybe he plays in Anaheim maybe not, I don't lose sleep over Joe Hicketts playing at this level that is for sure.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Next time Hicketts plays watch how often the other team dumps to his corner or cycles the puck to his spot to take advantage of his size. I thought he was our worst D-man the other night. Not because he wasn't engaged, but just because they can expose him easier. Now Blashill didn't treat him like he did during the 5 games last year where he was shielded as much as possible from defensive zone starts, though he had an even 50/50 split 5 on 5. But he has to get out of there when he is starting out in the d-zone and not get pinned.

He didn't do anything to ward off Jensen drawing in. Both guys are #6/7 D-man in this league that is what they are. Against another heavy forecheck team in LA they have decided to go with more speed and a player that can cut off the pressure on cycles with speed at times. Neither guy is a world beater but no Hicketts isn't an automatic play he isn't that good people as great of a story as it is to make the league at his size this isn't a novelty league. He was the worst Wings d-man the other night in my opinion and he is going to sit, maybe he plays in Anaheim maybe not, I don't lose sleep over Joe Hicketts playing at this level that is for sure.

This is a very good summery on what’s wrong with Hicketts game. Ultimately, you are right, these two are #6/#7 defensemen, and I have no issue with Jensen playing over Hicketts. I think people overinflate Hicketts game.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Kind of suboptimal start to the season in terms of getting the fans excited schedule wise.

Three day break followed by a game at 10:30 on a worknight. Could have at least been a matinee

Yep, stupid. I won’t be able to watch a game until next Thursday. Most people have to work early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->