Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #2

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #2 Overall Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Those criticisms aren’t unique to a Scouching report lol.

Also, defense is obviously important, but a possible defensive defenseman at 6th overall? Ehhhhhh.

I think we may be confusing what a "defensive defence man" is.

There are a lot of D men on the Islanders that make that team work well, and almost none of them are all that good offensively. (Leddy took Pulocks PP time, so he will get it back now I guess).
But overall you need quality passing from your D core, and good defensive positioning. I do not think we need a Cale Makar to win a championship. But I think we do need a Devon toews and Adam Pelech types.

What will Edvinsson become? Or Seider even? I have no idea.

But I really like that both are big (they can hit people and clear the crease well).
I do like that both can skate well (All our drafted D men can skate well, its clearly a focus for Yzerman).
If we get a Hampus Lindholm.. we struck gold, and if we end up with a Larsson/Pelech type. Ok we will need that too. I just think Edvinsson's Floor as a #3-4 D man is still more promising than any D we have not named Seider.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think we may be confusing what a "defensive defence man" is.

There are a lot of D men on the Islanders that make that team work well, and almost none of them are all that good offensively. (Leddy took Pulocks PP time, so he will get it back now I guess).
But overall you need quality passing from your D core, and good defensive positioning. I do not think we need a Cale Makar to win a championship. But I think we do need a Devon toews and Adam Pelech types.

What will Edvinsson become? Or Seider even? I have no idea.

But I really like that both are big (they can hit people and clear the crease well).
I do like that both can skate well (All our drafted D men can skate well, its clearly a focus for Yzerman).
If we get a Hampus Lindholm.. we struck gold, and if we end up with a Larsson/Pelech type. Ok we will need that too. I just think Edvinsson's Floor as a #3-4 D man is still more promising than any D we have not named Seider.

We know Seider, whether the offense moves up to the NHL level, can get some defensive stops and transition the puck up ice. Less time in our zone is more time (theoretically) we own the puck in the offensive zone if we're not constantly dumping and not digging for the puck.

We think Edvinsson, whether the offense develops, can get some defensive stops and transition the puck up ice. Same as above.

I think once Detroit gains the ability to cut the amount of time the opponent is in their zone things will become much better overall. The forwards need to improve for sure, but the game has become much more structured around controlled transitions than in the past.

That's also part of why I believe Houda should have been axed this offseason. He's never been much more than a "chip it off the glass" kind of player, and even while with the Bruins as an assistant didn't run anything very complicated. Houda has been with Detroit since 2016(!!!) and I know the defensive personnel hasn't been great, but the defensive results have to be at or near the bottom of the league since he joined.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not a Houda fan either, but they were able to bring the GAA down at last season, by changing lot of players on that direction. those horrible Bowey and Daley days are gone.

And next season plan is to bring transition game back. They did bring in Leddy and Seider is coming. Hronek is the 3rd one.

We will finally have solid and balanced defensive material. If Houda can't get that work, then it's his time to go.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not a Houda fan either, but they were able to bring the GAA down at last season, by changing lot of players on that direction. those horrible Bowey and Daley days are gone.

And next season plan is to bring transition game back. They did bring in Leddy and Seider is coming. Hronek is the 3rd one.

We will finally have solid and balanced defensive material. If Houda can't get that work, then it's his time to go.

GAA going down had a lot to do with personnel more than system. Stecher and Merrill, for as much flak people give them, would have been the 2nd and 3rd best defensemen (maybe 3rd and 4th best) on the 2019-2020 team. Also Greiss was superior to Howard. With how bad Detroit were in 2019-20 there was nowhere for Detroit to go but up.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Widely panned by who? A lot of people on this forum were cautiously optimistic about the kid as Yzerman's first draft choice and then as he started to play in the AHL people grew really hopeful about him, even if he wasn't offensively dominant there. Many people said if he could develop an offensive element to his game then he'd be a legit number one defenseman instead of a number two shutdown guy.

National pundits panned our Seider pick like crazy in 2019.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
By default we are left to our own judgment in terms of how we weight the different aspects of a prospect (physical attributes, skills, upside, perceived likelihood of reaching that upside, perhaps Red Wings current needs, and so on and so forth). And we don't all use the same weighting system. And we don't all have the same preference. I'm curious how you all determine your own judgement in this regard.

And speaking of the Red Wings current needs, does this play into how much you evaluate a prospect? I feel like it shouldn't.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
GAA going down had a lot to do with personnel more than system. Stecher and Merrill, for as much flak people give them, would have been the 2nd and 3rd best defensemen (maybe 3rd and 4th best) on the 2019-2020 team. Also Greiss was superior to Howard. With how bad Detroit were in 2019-20 there was nowhere for Detroit to go but up.

Agree with hits.

When the reason is personnel, you can't maybe blaim just Houda.

So I'd give a chance on him, with better players. If he can't get a good system with good players, then the problem is the coach.

I'm quite sure no coach would have made that 2019-20 mess work.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00