Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #2

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #2 Overall Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sproul was a great skater with a great shot to boot (Edvinsson shot is weak)

Sproul was fast in a straight line, and he was pretty physically mature playing against CHL competition. Fast in a straight line does not equate to great skater as a defenseman. And hard shot shouldn't equate to great shot. It's great if he can actually get it on net.

Some people around here talk about Sproul like he was a top 15 pick but the fact of the matter is Ryan Sproul was a late 2nd round pick.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still very comparable to Seider.

What was comparable?

Sproul has skating, but couldn't carry the puck on fast speed
Sproul had decent slap-shot
Sproul had no hockey IQ
Sproul couldn't play defence
Sproul didn't have good 1st pass

Seider has skating and carry the puck on fast speed
Seider won't have good slap-shot (his only weakness), but has smart wrister
Seider has great hockey IQ
Seider plays good defence
Seider has good 1st pass
Seider is the most physical defencemen prospect we have seen in many years.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What was comparable?

Sproul has skating, but couldn't carry the puck on fast speed
Sproul had decent slap-shot
Sproul had no hockey IQ
Sproul couldn't play defence
Sproul didn't have good 1st pass

Seider has skating and carry the puck on fast speed
Seider won't have good slap-shot (his only weakness), but has smart wrister
Seider has great hockey IQ
Seider plays good defence
Seider has good 1st pass
Seider is the most physical defencemen prospect we have seen in many years.

Yes. EXACTLY alike!:sarcasm:

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Add Tuomisto, he should be in over Wallinder and Buium by this point IMO.

The obvious pick here is Raymond, his game is just on another level compared to every other prospect still left.

Reactions: Realgud

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Sproul was a great skater with a great shot to boot (Edvinsson shot is weak)

How the hell did Edvinsson become such a misunderstood prospect? He is absolutely nothing like Sproul apart from being big. If Sproul is a great skater, Edvinsson is Paul Coffey. Truthfully, we all overrated Sproul's skating. More importantly, Edvinsson can actually defend quite well, especially in transition, which actually makes him a very safe pick with a relatively high floor given his size and mobility. I personally think he is very comfortable and coordinated skating the puck. I wouldn't call his puck skills high end, but I wouldn't call them average either.

Even if the offense doesn't come along as hoped, he is still a minute munching number three defensemen.

I do have him below Raymond though for purposes of these rankings. Tuomisto needs to be added at this point.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Overall consensus is Edvinsson has great physical tools, skating, and defensive ability... but we're unsure about his offense and puck handling?

Yeah, if that's his biggest weakness, sign me up for putting him at #2

Last edited:

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Raymond for me here. Add Tuomisto. I think Raymond’s potential solidifies him here from everyone but Edvinsson

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
How the hell did Edvinsson become such a misunderstood prospect?
There's one scouching video with a bunch of intercepted passes. That's it. He does get some passes picked off, but anyone that criticizes his puck handling is demonstrating immediately that they've literally never watched him play.

Hfboarders also totally ignore defensive prowess in a prospect.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
There's one scouching video with a bunch of intercepted passes. That's it. He does get some passes picked off, but anyone that criticizes his puck handling is demonstrating immediately that they've literally never watched him play.

Hfboarders also totally ignore defensive prowess in a prospect.

Those criticisms aren’t unique to a Scouching report lol.

Also, defense is obviously important, but a possible defensive defenseman at 6th overall? Ehhhhhh.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah, that Seider pick f***ing sucked

I mean, it was widely panned until he developed an offensive element to his game. The main difference between Seider and Edvinsson is that Seider has always been praised for his hockey IQ, while that is a major issue in Edvinsson’s game. And hockey IQ is extremely difficult to teach. Soooo. Nice whataboutism.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I mean, it was widely panned until he developed an offensive element to his game. The main difference between Seider and Edvinsson is that Seider has always been praised for his hockey IQ, while that is a major issue in Edvinsson’s game. And hockey IQ is extremely difficult to teach. Soooo. Nice whataboutism.

The only people who have been harping about Edvinsson's IQ level are the ones who really struggle to add video context to the critiques. What is plain to see is that he's a dynamic skater with a dynamic set of hands. He defends well and projects to defend even better when he fills out his frame and is able to lean on players. The shot is below average at this point, both in effectiveness and utilization.

The IQ is the one thing that seems to be divisive. People who are fans of Edvinsson can see the flashes and glimpses of a smart young player that has a bit of an erratic mind at this point. People who are detractors will insist over and over again that someone once said that Edvinsson has a hard time with 2nd grade level math and listing the colors of the rainbow. But being sincere, the detractors do lean on the "but so and so (Scouching) said that he doesn't seem to think the game at a high level and he can't make good passes and and and" as if we are watching Jonathan Ericsson routinely finding himself struggling to execute a simple breakout pass at the age of 33 in the NHL, and not a 17 year old kid playing in the SHL.

He's a kid who is still learning what he can and can't get away with. A kid with very little consistency in his draft year in terms of team, teammates, coaching, skill levels, etc. At no point have I watched Edvinsson and thought that he isn't smart. It's that he's raw in almost every applicable definition of the term. There's a lot of development yet to happen, but we didn't draft a big dumb oaf who can only play with a 10 foot tether attaching him to the left post.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

This board is hard to read sometimes.

If hockey IQ was a "major issue" for Edvinsson he wouldnt have been ranked top 3 all year and went in the top 6. Hes a high end dman with top pairing potential, maybe not a huge offense producer but a very effective player. I would actually love to read a scouting report calling Edvinssons IQ a major issue

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Widely panned by who? A lot of people on this forum were cautiously optimistic about the kid as Yzerman's first draft choice and then as he started to play in the AHL people grew really hopeful about him, even if he wasn't offensively dominant there. Many people said if he could develop an offensive element to his game then he'd be a legit number one defenseman instead of a number two shutdown guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Untapped offensively ability has to be there for it to develop, no?

So maybe the same guys that saw untapped offensive ability in Seider are seeing that in Edvinsson? You also have the folks at hockeyprospect.com who had Seider at 10 (much higher than anyone else), who ranked Edvinsson at 3 and said he had some advantages to Power.

Those 2 things should make you feel at least a bit better.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I like Edvinsson at #2. I think he has the tools to really make a pairing with Mo a staple of the lineup for a decade or more. Lucas is a bit more of a mystery. He could be anything from a top 6 guy to a core player.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
How the hell did Edvinsson become such a misunderstood prospect? He is absolutely nothing like Sproul apart from being big. If Sproul is a great skater, Edvinsson is Paul Coffey. Truthfully, we all overrated Sproul's skating. More importantly, Edvinsson can actually defend quite well, especially in transition, which actually makes him a very safe pick with a relatively high floor given his size and mobility. I personally think he is very comfortable and coordinated skating the puck. I wouldn't call his puck skills high end, but I wouldn't call them average either.

Even if the offense doesn't come along as hoped, he is still a minute munching number three defensemen.

I do have him below Raymond though for purposes of these rankings. Tuomisto needs to be added at this point.
Sproul came in 2nd in voting by OHL coaches for best skater. I didn't mean to compare the 2. Only meant to imply that big guys who skate well aren't always great d-men.
Jaster's comment which I was replying to his skating AND defensive ability should make him a top 4 D. I think I missed that part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad