Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #1

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #1 Overall Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Being the #1 D-man on this team isn't the steepest challenge is a big part of this statement. With how much Hronek struggles in his own end at times, the high leverage situations should end up with Seider after the new year. Like I said I don't think it will be without some growing pains. But he can play big minutes and probably pretty early in his career. We might not bring him along at that pace is all I can see slowing that.

We are a bottom 10 team, but I think he can pass the other guys based on the game he plays and his ability to eat big minutes and tough minutes on top of that. We will see what they choose, playing him low minutes and bringing him along slowly could help the 2022 draft pick, but I think he is one of those guys that will be pretty tough to deny a juicer role. Last guy we were this excited about with a year entering did break in straight into the top 6 in Larkin. Seider actually got another whole year where he was the best D-man in a top 4 league in the world and was named the best D-man in the World Championship. Expectations should be higher with him.

Now I won't lose my mind if he finds it a bumpier transition, but sorry I am not looking at worst case scenario here. I think he proves his value pretty quickly assuming he isn't injured or anything like that.
Ahh, gotcha. I misread your previous comments and thought you meant a true #1 in the NHL instead of just the best guy on this particular roster.

But still...if I made a pie chart of what I'm looking forward to this season, Seider is probably 85 to 90 percent of that pie.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Has to be Mo. By this time next year he'll have to look down two stories to see his potential ceiling.
:bow:STUD

Add Tuomisto

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Nothing to add looking at what has already been said about this poll, but I will add this...

How lucky are we that someone like Berggren or Veleno will end up outside of our top 5 prospects and either of which will likely see some NHL time this year with reasonable odds of a nice NHL career? Our 23 & under core has improved so much over the past handful of years, and it's really created a sense of excitement for me personally knowing that most of them will sniff the NHL in the next year or two.

Zadina, Hronek, Lindstrom, Rasmussen, Raymond, Seider, Berggren, Veleno, Cossa, Edvinsson, Johansson

Add in some more depth pieces that we are watching with wide eyes, Buium, Tuomisto, Niederbach, Soderblom, Wallinder, Sebrango, McIsaac.

Whether or not this rebuild is successful remains to be seen, but at least we know that we have an army of prospects for the first time in a long, long time.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That's true, although personally I don't think you can find the speed of the NHL in any other league. Even going from the AHL to the NHL is a fair step up in speed, thus I still think he (and everybody that enter the NHL) will need to get accustomed to that.

But yeah his physicality will help him get more time.

It will be interesting to see how he handles defending now that the NHL has decided to start calling crosschecks.
He's so well rounded defensively, it's not really all about crushing people or being tough physically. He defends just as much by just being smart positionally and having excellent stickwork.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Ha ha, I voted for Raymond not realizing we were still treating Mo as a prospect.

I mean he has played ZERO NHL games. I am not sure why He shouldn't be a prospect.

Also we should have some kind of definition for what counts as a prospect now before we get too deep into this fun series of posts.

Zadina has 86 GP, and played in the NHL all year last year. I am pretty sure he doesn't count as a prospect.
Rasmussen has 102GP, and played in the NHL all year last year. I am pretty sure he doesn't count as a prospect.
How about:
Gustav Lindstrom?: 29GP total, only 13 last year - I still count Lindstrom as a Prospect myself, Do you guys?
Joe Veleno?: 5GP total last year - I would say he's still a prospect.
Giovani Smith?: 37GP total but he still only played 16 games last year. Is he a prospect??

Do we do an AGE cut off? GP?

Under this debatable system, my ADD is Gustav Lindstrom or Giovani Smith.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I mean he has played ZERO NHL games. I am not sure why He shouldn't be a prospect.

Also we should have some kind of definition for what counts as a prospect now before we get too deep into this fun series of posts.

Zadina has 86 GP, and played in the NHL all year last year. I am pretty sure he doesn't count as a prospect.
Rasmussen has 102GP, and played in the NHL all year last year. I am pretty sure he doesn't count as a prospect.
How about:
Gustav Lindstrom?: 29GP total, only 13 last year - I still count Lindstrom as a Prospect myself, Do you guys?
Joe Veleno?: 5GP total last year - I would say he's still a prospect.
Giovani Smith?: 37GP total but he still only played 16 games last year. Is he a prospect??

Do we do an AGE cut off? GP?

Under this debatable system, my ADD is Gustav Lindstrom or Giovani Smith.

I think we could use clear rules to define what a prospect is for the purpose of these polls.

Less than 80 games played.
23 years old or younger
drafted or signed 2016 or later

That's what I would propose.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
No surprise Seider is running away with this one. My favorite Wings prospect in ages, I haven't bought a new jersey in ages but I might have to spring for #53 in white this fall.

I am interested to see where the Seider/Edvinsson discussion lands come springtime. By then we'll have seen how Seider adjusts to NHL hockey, and we'll also hopefully get a season of Edvinsson in the SHL + a WJC cameo.

I'd love to see a strong D+1 out of Simon and land in a situation where "Seider vs. Edvinsson" is a real debate.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think we could use clear rules to define what a prospect is for the purpose of these polls.

Less than 80 games played.
23 years old or younger
drafted or signed 2016 or later

That's what I would propose.

I'm all for this.

No need for terminology debates who should be prospect and who shouldn't. Right debates about prospects will die under those.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In the past I have used Calder eligibility when doing this. HF's old rules allow for too many games in my opinion.

That didn't work either, because there could be situations like 20-year-old Rasmussen, with 61 NHL games, playing whole season in AHL, and not determined as prospect at all.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
In the past I have used Calder eligibility when doing this. HF's old rules allow for too many games in my opinion.

Put it to a vote. I'm for whichever system people agree with as long as it ends the kinds of posts that cause the polls to devolve into discussions of what makes a prospect a prospect.

Reactions: izlez

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
No surprise Seider is running away with this one. My favorite Wings prospect in ages, I haven't bought a new jersey in ages but I might have to spring for #53 in white this fall.

I am interested to see where the Seider/Edvinsson discussion lands come springtime. By then we'll have seen how Seider adjusts to NHL hockey, and we'll also hopefully get a season of Edvinsson in the SHL + a WJC cameo.

I'd love to see a strong D+1 out of Simon and land in a situation where "Seider vs. Edvinsson" is a real debate.
If Seider vs Edvinsson ever becomes a legit debate, we are in very good hands.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I agree and much prefer him to Wallinder and Tuomisto

Once (or if) Wallinder can learn to operate within a system I think he could be a very good prospect. He's in good hands at Rogle.

Tuomisto could be a something. I like his overall skillset and he's a very smart player but there are times on the ice that his movements are lumbering and his side to side movements are definitely a weak spot in his game.

Both of these guys are on the 4 to 5 year development track. I'm not sweating the holes in their games yet as long as we're seeing some improvements. But I'm with you on the Viro train. He could be a total steal for a 3rd round pick.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't mean to be rude, but why make the post?

It seems like it meant to derail the thread.

And, that's not cool.
thumb_lighten-up-francis-memecrunch-com-lighten-up-francis-50404420.png

Edit: Pretty obvious who wins this round anyways. Worried about derailing the thread, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad