Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #1

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #1 Overall Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This thread is a good place to post the reminder that while Seider certainly projects to be a difference maker, him being an "elite" blueliner may take patience. Victor Hedman, likely the best defender in the NHL today, didn't come into his own until his 5th NHL season. It's hard to imagine people calling Hedman underwhelming, but that was the chatter at the start of his career.

Victor Hedman emerges as a Lightning star

"Heddy has just come into his own,'' Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. "It's a tribute to him that he has weathered his ups and downs. He has weathered his critics.''

There were plenty of those in Hedman's first four seasons in the NHL. You tend to collect your share when you're the second overall pick and have the poor taste to not look like the next Bobby Orr right off the plane.
"That weighs on you,'' Cooper said.

Hedman heard the grumbling earlier in his career. No one called him a bust, but there were those who wondered if he was worth the second pick back in 2009.

He showed flashes of stardom, but eventually, fans grow tired of potential. They start looking back at the draft and lamenting the players the Lightning could have had.

Oh, and young Hedman got snubbed that year from the 2014 Swedish Olympic team. For the likes of Henrik Tallinder, Johnny Oduya, and of course our boy Jonathan Ericsson.

Reactions: Ricelund

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Good idea to get started. But unfortunately their really isn't much to talk about at #1 it is a AINEC as Hf loves to term it so often lol.

Reactions: RabidBadger

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
This may be the only time we'll all agree on something. Let's just bask in that for a few days.

I'm not complaining. It is just what is there to say other than Mo Seider is the man at #1? That's what makes this specific slot so obvious you can't really elaborate much because everyone else is in agreement. It's not a bad thing by any stretch but I believe #2 is where the discussion will actually start. Thats all.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Seider obviously, add Tuomisto...also would say Tuomisto is very underrated by Wings fans. If you watch his tape from Denver last season there's really a lot to like. He might be one of the better D in NCAA this coming season. Having guys like Wallinder and Buium listed ahead of him already is kinda crazy imo

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This may be the only time we'll all agree on something. Let's just bask in that for a few days.
Indeed.

tenor.gif

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This thread is a good place to post the reminder that while Seider certainly projects to be a difference maker, him being an "elite" blueliner may take patience. Victor Hedman, likely the best defender in the NHL today, didn't come into his own until his 5th NHL season. It's hard to imagine people calling Hedman underwhelming, but that was the chatter at the start of his career.

Victor Hedman emerges as a Lightning star

Oh, and young Hedman got snubbed that year from the 2014 Swedish Olympic team. For the likes of Henrik Tallinder, Johnny Oduya, and of course our boy Jonathan Ericsson.

Yeah but Bob McKenzie had told us of the Big Rig's Norris potential, I mean that was still a factor. By the way Ericsson before the hip injury really took him apart is in front of the other two there for me... But I do get the point.

Some D-man take a while. Seider strikes me more as the Doughty type given that he has been dominating in the AHL and SHL. Hedman was more potential there, it took him a little longer. Edvinsson is actually more the Hedman comp between the two if I had to pick one in all honesty. I am curious to see what happens. I think Mo ends the year as our #1. There will be rough patches, but I also think given what I have seen and frankly his personality I think he transitions a little quicker. One of Hedman's early problems was deferring and not necessarily buying into his own talent. Thus far we have really seen none of that, toughest guy in the AHL, I am going to knock him into next week. SHL, I think I will just be the best D-man in the entire league, World Championships how about the same damn thing. That is how he attacked those, fascinated to watch him in the best league in the world. Mo doesn't strike me as a guy where things get too big for him though, he seems to relish that challenge.

I get tempering expectations. I don't expect him to lift us anywhere tomorrow. But I have a hard time seeing where he fails, just so impressed with him, guy hasn't messed a thing up since his draft year really... So excited for him to be a part of the next 82.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Seider obviously, add Tuomisto...also would say Tuomisto is very underrated by Wings fans. If you watch his tape from Denver last season there's really a lot to like. He might be one of the better D in NCAA this coming season. Having guys like Wallinder and Buium listed ahead of him already is kinda crazy imo

I mean he is my add as well and I like him a lot. What those two have that he doesn't is NHL skating, in particular the acceleration and edge ability. I think Tuo has progressed and man does he have a howitzer of a shot. That is why he is my add over Mastro and Viro who were my other big thoughts there. But I want to see where his skating is at in the fall. I still believe though, one of the reasons I am not really sure if Hronek stays super long term is based on I think Tuo can bring a lot of what he does only with a ton more size and an even heavier shot.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I mean he is my add as well and I like him a lot. What those two have that he doesn't is NHL skating, in particular the acceleration and edge ability. I think Tuo has progressed and man does he have a howitzer of a shot. That is why he is my add over Mastro and Viro who were my other big thoughts there. But I want to see where his skating is at in the fall. I still believe though, one of the reasons I am not really sure if Hronek stays super long term is based on I think Tuo can bring a lot of what he does only with a ton more size and an even heavier shot.

Yeah they're better skaters, Buium in particular looks very fluid. I wouldn't say Tuomisto is a bad skater tho and he's probably ahead of the other two in just about every other facet right now. Wallinder concerns me more in regards to reaching his potential. But we'll see, should be very interesting year for a lot of Wings prospects, should start to get a clearer picture of what we actually have

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think Mo ends the year as our #1. There will be rough patches, but I also think given what I have seen and frankly his personality I think he transitions a little quicker.
Holy Kool-Aid, Batman!

I'd be absolutely THRILLED if that happened. Like, I'd be rocking a Seider jersey by Christmas. But a defenseman in his rookie year...on this roster? That's one helluva tall order.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Holy Kool-Aid, Batman!

I'd be absolutely THRILLED if that happened. Like, I'd be rocking a Seider jersey by Christmas. But a defenseman in his rookie year...on this roster? That's one helluva tall order.

Being the #1 D-man on this team isn't the steepest challenge is a big part of this statement. With how much Hronek struggles in his own end at times, the high leverage situations should end up with Seider after the new year. Like I said I don't think it will be without some growing pains. But he can play big minutes and probably pretty early in his career. We might not bring him along at that pace is all I can see slowing that.

We are a bottom 10 team, but I think he can pass the other guys based on the game he plays and his ability to eat big minutes and tough minutes on top of that. We will see what they choose, playing him low minutes and bringing him along slowly could help the 2022 draft pick, but I think he is one of those guys that will be pretty tough to deny a juicer role. Last guy we were this excited about with a year entering did break in straight into the top 6 in Larkin. Seider actually got another whole year where he was the best D-man in a top 4 league in the world and was named the best D-man in the World Championship. Expectations should be higher with him.

Now I won't lose my mind if he finds it a bumpier transition, but sorry I am not looking at worst case scenario here. I think he proves his value pretty quickly assuming he isn't injured or anything like that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah they're better skaters, Buium in particular looks very fluid. I wouldn't say Tuomisto is a bad skater tho and he's probably ahead of the other two in just about every other facet right now. Wallinder concerns me more in regards to reaching his potential. But we'll see, should be very interesting year for a lot of Wings prospects, should start to get a clearer picture of what we actually have

Wallinder is a project, I had him top 15 last year because if you can make that project work, my lord do you have a ton of tools to work with. Excited to see him in Rogle, that is a good organization, hopefully he takes a step forward and plays well in the SHL this year. On pure potential Wallinder is super intriguing. We will need to hit his development right.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Yeah but Bob McKenzie had told us of the Big Rig's Norris potential, I mean that was still a factor. By the way Ericsson before the hip injury really took him apart is in front of the other two there for me... But I do get the point.

Some D-man take a while. Seider strikes me more as the Doughty type given that he has been dominating in the AHL and SHL. Hedman was more potential there, it took him a little longer. Edvinsson is actually more the Hedman comp between the two if I had to pick one in all honesty. I am curious to see what happens. I think Mo ends the year as our #1. There will be rough patches, but I also think given what I have seen and frankly his personality I think he transitions a little quicker. One of Hedman's early problems was deferring and not necessarily buying into his own talent. Thus far we have really seen none of that, toughest guy in the AHL, I am going to knock him into next week. SHL, I think I will just be the best D-man in the entire league, World Championships how about the same damn thing. That is how he attacked those, fascinated to watch him in the best league in the world. Mo doesn't strike me as a guy where things get too big for him though, he seems to relish that challenge.

I get tempering expectations. I don't expect him to lift us anywhere tomorrow. But I have a hard time seeing where he fails, just so impressed with him, guy hasn't messed a thing up since his draft year really... So excited for him to be a part of the next 82.

It may very well be that Seider won't struggle when he comes to the NHL, everyone is different. But I think the Narrative around Hedman is a bit off. He struggled at the NHL level, not at the SHL level, he had 21 points and was +21 in 41 games as an 18 year old (draft year). That is not far off of what Seider did as a 19 year old (draft+2 year).

Seider had a very impressive season, best junior season of a defenseman in the SHL ever, most likely. But he was also older than Hedman ( and Dahlin who was 17 when he did his last SHL season ).

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I’m gonna have to ask where the hell you watched game tape from him at or highlights. Nowhere to be found on YouTube and unless you caught a Denver game on tv it seems unlikely you’d have seen him. I really wanna watch him more

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seider's development path has been a perfect storm and I think we will reap the benefits next season.

The one season he plays in the German Men's league they win the title.
The one season he plays in the Swedish league the team he's on not only wins their first playoff game in history, but goes on a deep run to the final.

I struggle to think of a 20 year old with the backpack of experience he has when it comes to different leagues, international tournaments, playoff runs.

The season he just had in the SHL goes down in my book as one of the most memorable seasons I've seen a player have outside the NHL.

I'll be honest - I haven't come close to watching 100% of Red Wings games the last few seasons. Next season - the team is must-watch if only for Seider.

Reactions: Red Stanley

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It may very well be that Seider won't struggle when he comes to the NHL, everyone is different. But I think the Narrative around Hedman is a bit off. He struggled at the NHL level, not at the SHL level, he had 21 points and was +21 in 41 games as an 18 year old (draft year). That is not far off of what Seider did as a 19 year old (draft+2 year).

Seider had a very impressive season, best junior season of a defenseman in the SHL ever, most likely. But he was also older than Hedman ( and Dahlin who was 17 when he did his last SHL season ).

A big part of what I was arguing there was the mentality he played with though. Hedman despite all the size didn't use it as effectively to lean on guys and do some of the things he does today. One of the things that makes Mo so exciting is that he has an elite physical edge. We have seen it in the professional ranks and it is something you project to hit his NHL game immediately.

Hedman and Dahlin went as high as they did for a reason and are superlative talents. What I think stalled both guys transitions right away and was eventually got by Hedman and I think will be a part of Dahlin's game soon enough, was the step up in physicality and the elimination of some time and space. Having already seen Mo on the NA size rinks in the AHL, he seems to enjoy when the tempo is even faster and the games are more physical. He is very assertive for a young man, I guess we will see how quickly that hits in the NHL level, but again he doesn't strike me as a guy that is going to be talked out of playing the style game he wants to right away.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
A big part of what I was arguing there was the mentality he played with though. Hedman despite all the size didn't use it as effectively to lean on guys and do some of the things he does today. One of the things that makes Mo so exciting is that he has an elite physical edge. We have seen it in the professional ranks and it is something you project to hit his NHL game immediately.

Hedman and Dahlin went as high as they did for a reason and are superlative talents. What I think stalled both guys transitions right away and was eventually got by Hedman and I think will be a part of Dahlin's game soon enough, was the step up in physicality and the elimination of some time and space. Having already seen Mo on the NA size rinks in the AHL, he seems to enjoy when the tempo is even faster and the games are more physical. He is very assertive for a young man, I guess we will see how quickly that hits in the NHL level, but again he doesn't strike me as a guy that is going to be talked out of playing the style game he wants to right away.

That's true, although personally I don't think you can find the speed of the NHL in any other league. Even going from the AHL to the NHL is a fair step up in speed, thus I still think he (and everybody that enter the NHL) will need to get accustomed to that.

But yeah his physicality will help him get more time.

It will be interesting to see how he handles defending now that the NHL has decided to start calling crosschecks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->