GDT: Detroit @ New Jersey | 10/172018 | 1:00pm EST >>EARLY GAME<<

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Great effort coming back. Love the growth out of a lot of the young guys. Hope Ras is okay and didn't crack any ribs.

For the tank crowd, just go look at the schedule in December you will be happy soon enough.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Nice pass by Moe on the winner but maybe it's time consider switching him for Rasmussen in their roles (ice-time, playing with Larkin). They are similar players in many regards but I think Mantha may be a little more skilled and he is more experienced and more mature physically but Ras doesn't poke and hope from what I have seen and the increased production that would most likely go with the increased ice-time would be a boon for his confidence.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm glad the wings are fighting every night and winning games by not giving up and working hard. Rasmussen looks like a different player, he's helping us win games. Matha is playing inspired hockey lately and looks like a guy that cares on both ends. Athanisiou seems like a guy that cares about the team he's playing for. Larkin is a work horse and is guiding the way for this team and the rest of the team is following him, AA was the first guy off the bench to meet Larkin to celebrate. Cholowski makes big plays and has shown he's going to be a great NHL player.
This team is leaning on it's young core to win games, our young guys play with intensity and make it hard every night. I can't tell you how many opposing team GDTs I've read with them complaining about how bad their top line is playing (with no mention of how the other team is playing against them), it's a fun time.
I thought I'd be rooting for losses more but I'm digging this winning thing with the kids. I don't expect them to make the playoffs so I'm not too worried about it. We're going to shed some Hughes % points but that may not matter in the end - I'd rather 7 players take steps forward than put the hopes on a 20% chance of one player coming in and changing it all.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Do you guys think Ras will eventually make Mantha expendable? I know their games are dif but a how many big bodies do you need in you top 6 in this new speed NHL game?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Should we still be winning like this?? I know it's fun and all but beating the Devils since they're below us isn't good. Well we did give em a point. So it's not too bad.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm glad the wings are fighting every night and winning games by not giving up and working hard. Rasmussen looks like a different player, he's helping us win games. Matha is playing inspired hockey lately and looks like a guy that cares on both ends. Athanisiou seems like a guy that cares about the team he's playing for. Larkin is a work horse and is guiding the way for this team and the rest of the team is following him, AA was the first guy off the bench to meet Larkin to celebrate. Cholowski makes big plays and has shown he's going to be a great NHL player.
This team is leaning on it's young core to win games, our young guys play with intensity and make it hard every night. I can't tell you how many opposing team GDTs I've read with them complaining about how bad their top line is playing (with no mention of how the other team is playing against them), it's a fun time.
I thought I'd be rooting for losses more but I'm digging this winning thing with the kids. I don't expect them to make the playoffs so I'm not too worried about it. We're going to shed some Hughes % points but that may not matter in the end - I'd rather 7 players take steps forward than put the hopes on a 20% chance of one player coming in and changing it all.

giphy.gif

I could not agree more.

Also, I do believe Larkin's close friendship with AA and Mantha is getting more out of those guys with him in the ultimate leader role now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Glendening on playing in overtime:
"I don't know why I was out there but I tried to get off really quick."

Glendening is a really good interview. I like when they get him in the postgame. Witter is also generally having fun when they go to talk to him.

The other quote there was that Glendening talked about Larkin as a tremendous leader.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Do you guys think Ras will eventually make Mantha expendable? I know their games are dif but a how many big bodies do you need in you top 6 in this new speed NHL game?

They both are pretty good skaters. To me this is where the Winnipeg model is being used here. Just because they are big doesn't mean they cannot move. I actually thought that was huge with Svech this year too, he looked a better skater which is tough for that knee injury. But of our top 9 guys Bertuzzi is the worst skater now in terms of the future puzzle. They look to be a big and fast group up front as both Larkin and Athanasiou also have some size to them and play with a ton of powerful leg drive.

You can say Hall tripped but to me that was Larkin just being stronger than him and wanting the ice more, he out-competed him and kept his legs driving through that contact. Impressive.

I think we are in for a rough December and still are going to finish well down the standings. But it is nice to see the development. This bounce back from the start has been about the young guys taking ownership. Yes some of the vets, Green and the goalies in particular have played a lot better but man the young kids are driving this and it is exciting to watch. Moving Mantha might be an option eventually, but for now I like the uptick in chemistry with the younger guys and they are driving the play more and more and flashing potential a lot lately.

We still have other high pace players to develop out of this draft in Veleno and Berggren which also makes this interesting. I like a lot up front, I think we could pickup our final real piece up there during this draft and yes maybe we start hunting D-man with some of these guys, but we needed them to start developing and proving more as NHL guys to get the kind of returns we are hoping for. So I have liked what we are seeing lately here in terms of that and how it hopefully helps the rebuild.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I had some time to kill while travelling so I took a look at our last 10 games. I did this all on my phone so cut me some slack if I miss counted something.

The 8-2 record has been fun. That said, we’ve played some easier opponents.
The wings have came back from 2 goal deficits in 4 of the last 6 games.
Shot differential is -67. 5 games have been -10 or worse, 4 games have been +/- 1 shot.
Goal differential is +12. With seven 1 goal games.

The young players have played well.
Larkin: 4 goals, 12 points 28 sogs, +3.
Rasmussen: 5 goals, 6 points, 14 sogs, even.
Bertuzzi: 3 goals, 6 points 15 sogs +2
Cholo: 1 goal, 4 points, 11 sogs +2
Mantha: 5 goals, 6 points, 29 sogs +2
AA(6 games): 3 goals, 6 points, 23 sogs, +6

On the surface it seems the team has been slightly outplayed and has benefited from great goaltending. The young players have really stepped up and are performing very well which is best case Ontario for a rebuilding team.

Id expect there will be more up and down stretches throughout the season insuring a good chance of finishing at the bottom of the league. With the young guys excelling, Zadina, Hronek, a top 5-10 draft pick plus other solid prospects on their way and a lot of cap space opening up I’m feeling very optimistic about the direction of the team.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Glendening came on during a live change for AA with Mantha and Cholowski, he was on the ice for 20 seconds and skated off during the play when Mantha left the zone.
I was pretty sure I seen him take a faceoff

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
In Detroit? Yeah. In a better organization, where they realize Mantha is a shooter, not a net front guy? No, of course not.
I’m convinced at this point Mantha can’t get his shot off quick enough in the NHL. He almost always needs a clear lane to get it on net. That’s why he’s always in front (besides his size).

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Mantha playing away from the net and ‘using his shot’ = lazy floating version of Mantha

I beg you people, watch all his NHL goals scored. Most are around the net or where he’s wide open. One is more sustainable than the other

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad