GDT: Detroit @ New Jersey | 10/172018 | 1:00pm EST >>EARLY GAME<<

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I don't get this down talk on Larkin. He's leading the charge during a really low period and he's now a PPG guy without much of a supporting cast.

Need I remind everyone that he's 22 years old? We just watched two Wings legends 'retire'. Datsyuk and Zetterberg didn't even start playing in the NHL until around 22 and even then it took them a couple years each to become PPG guys, so around 24 years old. Larkin came into the league younger and has reached those types of numbers younger as well.

And on the defensive side, learning and development isn't like offence, it's not about natural skill per se. It's 90% effort and desire to improve. And that is one of Larkin's greatest strengths, his dedication and drive to improving his game. That combined with the fact that he never takes a shift off makes me incredibly confident that he'll get there. And I think the offence will grow as well.

Larkin can absolutely become elite. In fact, he's knocking at the door already.

EDIT: Removed typo

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Datsyuk and Zetterberg didn't even start playing in the NHL until around 22 and even then it took them some a couple years each to become PPG guys, so around 24 years old.
Yeah but all the talk around Datsyuk at least, during even his first year, was that guys like Bowman, Shanahan, Yzerman, all saw his potential right away. People like Larkin a lot. They rave about a lot of things about him, especially his maturity and work ethic. But they don't talk about him the way they did Datsyuk.

That's a high bar though. There were a few years where Datsyuk was in the discussions for best player in the entire league. If Larkin can't be that that's fine with me. He can still be an amazing player. I just don't expect him to ever be top5, or even top10. Not when guys like Matthews, McDavid, Crosby, Kucherov, MacKinnon, and blah blah blah all exist.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Elite is the most subjective word in sports; someone that stopped playing at peewee versus the guy that played tier one Junior A in Canada versus that of an NHLer, will all have different definitions. I'm just happy Larkin is looking like a #1C.

Reactions: mantha39

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Yeah but all the talk around Datsyuk at least, during even his first year, was that guys like Bowman, Shanahan, Yzerman, all saw his potential right away. People like Larkin a lot. They rave about a lot of things about him, especially his maturity and work ethic. But they don't talk about him the way they did Datsyuk.

That's a high bar though. There were a few years where Datsyuk was in the discussions for best player in the entire league. If Larkin can't be that that's fine with me. He can still be an amazing player. I just don't expect him to ever be top5, or even top10. Not when guys like Matthews, McDavid, Crosby, Kucherov, MacKinnon, and blah blah blah all exist.

Regarding your first paragraph, people have been talking very highly of Larkin ever since his rookie season where he took everyone by surprise. He was one of the biggest stories in the league that season. And he was chosen 15th overall so we're talking surprise relative to an already high pedigree vs Datysuk who was picked in the 5th round.

As far as your 2nd paragraph, yeah it's very unlikely he ever measures up to those players. Then again Kucherov was a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't count Larkin out until he stops progressing, and he's been progressing steadily and at a pretty impressive rate every season. I'd even include his 2nd season where he struggled as progress. Year 1 he was this new phenomenon that opposing teams weren't prepared for, which gave him an advantage. Year 2 was just as much a rookie season, IMO, because he learned what it was like to have everyone focus on him and adjust game plans for him. So he had to learn to play with adversity. And what happened? He came back in year 3 better than ever and hasn't looked back. Now at 22, he's the clear leader of this team. Even more than Kronwall since he can back up his leadership in the room by leading through example on the ice.

Essentially I don't think there are only 5-10 elite players in the league at any given time. It's probably more like 50-60. Pretty well every team has an elite forward, and those who don't are balanced out by those who have several. And I'd say maybe 75% of the league has an elite dman, again those who don't being balanced out by those who have more than one. I'd say Larkin fits comfortably within that range already, to be honest.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Honestly I'm happy there's even an argument to be had about Larkin potentially being elite. After his first season I thought he'd probably top out as a 2nd line center.

Reactions: TatarTangle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad