Post-Game Talk: Detroit 5, Toronto 2. EVERYONE CALM THE **** DOWN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
5v5 I thought we did well actually. Contained the puck, And had more than few good cycles and created some good chances

Ashton needs work on the PK to say the least if he's going to be on it.

Bernier: Not a banner night. I'm a big believer in him, But unless Reimer has a disaster tomorrow night, He's the starter on Tuesday night.

Few notes on defense.

Fraser can be waived/moved IMO. MacWilliam out played him in that role so I wouldn't be using him in the top 6.

We're force feeding Ranger at this point to play any more than 15 minutes a night. I like him, But it looks like it will be gradual process with him.

Franson was real good tonight despite his absence from camp.

All in all not a great result, But hopefully we get them tomorrow.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I will be done if Carlyle runs Jake out. I swear to God I'll be done. What in God's name is this!?!? This has to be a joke. Please tell me this is a joke. Our coach literally cannot be this brain dead stupid. Right?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I sort of understand what Carlyle is talking about. Gardiner does a lot of good things, but there's also a lot of times I'm wondering what the hell he is doing. Don't know how many times I've seen him down low this preseason for no good reason. He's good enough on his skates to get back, but it seems to me he is trying too hard instead of just letting the game come to him.

With that said, his overall impact is still good enough for a top 4 position in our defense. The time running out comment makes it sound like he could be sent down.

That will be the biggest joke since I don't even know.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
So, does this look right for Tuesday opener....

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond
Broll-Bolland-Kulemin
Ashton-Mcclement-Orr

Gunnarson-Phaneuf
Franson-Gardiner
Ranger-Fraser

I'd prefer:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel (don't like Bozak in the middle, but Carlyle is just as stubborn as Wilson.)
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond (the 1B line)
Colborne-Bolland-Kulemin (need some depth offence from this line, I still have a little faith in Joe and he would give more creativity to this line than Broll.)
Ashton-Mcclement-Orr (same)

Gunnarson-Phaneuf
Franson-Gardiner
Ranger-Rielly (more mobility, Rielly brings the fluid transition to offence where Fraser just whips it off the boards as soon as he touches it)

Riemer
Bernier

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
To all those sahying its only pre-season. Did you see Detroit play? They were certainly not playing like its pre-season. Did you not see the structure Detroit was playing with? Leafs play the smurfs Oct. 1st and I don't see any urgency especially from the team that lost the game 7 the way they did.

Its NOT acceptable.

Also, enough with...

-Bozak on 1 PP unit, its bad enough he centers Kessel and JVR
-Lets just stop giving late period goals
-Defensive positioning has to be good avg ain't gonna cut it

Bag skate these ****ers if they don't put it together Oct. 1st

How often do you watch hockey? Even the best teams have games like that IN regular season, let alone preseason. The season isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Games like that likely going to happen and most if not all the teams will experience games like that. One game isn't going to define how good a team is. It's a larger collection of performances that will make that determination.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That will be the biggest joke since I don't even know.

Hopefully it would be just a short while so he can dominate the AHL and come back up at the top of his game.

That is unless Carlyle is conveying a message, and nothing else.

Edit: Thought Gardiner was not waiver eligible, that makes the whole point moot. Just Carlyle telling Gardiner to not run around as much.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Reimer's reaction

1049.gif

Especially considering how many of the Wings vets may be taking a day off tomorrow. No doubt.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
No way Gardiner gets sent down since he'll have to pass through waivers...won't he?

Maybe people are just reading too much into Carlyle's comments. Maybe time running out is in reference to the regular season starting soon so he doesn't have much time left to find that Gardiner we saw in the playoffs.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
How often do you watch hockey? Even the best teams have games like that IN regular season, let alone preseason. The season isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Games like that likely going to happen and most if not all the teams will experience games like that. One game isn't going to define how good a team is. It's a larger collection of performances that will make that determination.

forget that, some teams do it during the POST season.
(see, Penguins vs. Bruins, 2013).

re: Jake - i'm not sweating it.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Wtf does Gardiner have to do? He's like our leading scorer and has been out best player. He has made mistakes but still. He's been great. Holy crap I can't believe this.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
No way Gardiner gets sent down since he'll have to pass through waivers...won't he?

Maybe people are just reading too much into Carlyle's comments. Maybe time running out is in reference to the regular season starting soon so he doesn't have much time left to find that Gardiner we saw in the playoffs.

Absolute worst case, he starts the season in the presser. Still find that somewhat unlikely, but he'll probably sit tomorrow night in favor of Reilly.

leafstilldeath*

True. But quite frankly I still see the same mental mistakes. Progression implies correction.
If there are new mistakes fine, but same mistakes that is stupidity.

Example:

Dion Phaneuf - on PP has the puck but doesn't move his feet, clock ticks by the time he moves he either takes a bad shot or hurries up the pass.

Bozak experiment on the no. 1 PP, enough!

If we have to lose, then why not make new mistakes may be they will turn out to be something that benefits team and not really mistakes. Carlyle is trying the same thing over and over again.

Btw, a reply suggesting that it worked last time as we made playoffs. We made playoffs because of the following 3:

Kessel beasting
Kadri Beasting

Reimer SUPER beasting

If these three didn't play the way they did we would not have made the playoffs last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad