Post-Game Talk: Detroit 5, Toronto 2. EVERYONE CALM THE **** DOWN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I think this guy missed most of last season where this happened regularly and Reimer still managed to win.

Even Reimer can't keep up forever. I am not an advanced stats guy; but Leafs need to make lives better for their goaltender. Not more miserable.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Why didn't a Gardiner play a lot? Why does he not get on the first Powerplay unit? He's been our best player in the pre-season and is probably our leading scorer

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m

Carlyle says Gardiner isn't up to standard he played at in the playoffs. Adds he's running out of time to get there.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
pretty dissappointing game, especially after a really good first period.

come 2nd period, we couldn't do anything.

I'm a little annoyed that our best skill players didn't get much ice time, though - Gardiner 16:34, Kadri 14:49, Lupul 16:04, and I definitely wish Kadri and Lupul were put back together, though I guess it's just preseason.

better bounceback tommorrow night.

That's better ;)

I wouldn't say I'm worried yet, but you can only take the preseason-excuse so far. Generally in sports a team can't just suddenly start playing with focus, timing and balanced aggression at the flick of a switch. It takes some time to get up to 100%, and it would be very unnecessary to use regular season time to do that.

The Red Wings opening night roster will go into the season with a game behind them where they had their legs under them, where they played well and meshed well. I wish we could do the same.

Like I said, I wouldn't say I'm worried. It's not optimal though.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
To all those sahying its only pre-season. Did you see Detroit play? They were certainly not playing like its pre-season. Did you not see the structure Detroit was playing with? Leafs play the smurfs Oct. 1st and I don't see any urgency especially from the team that lost the game 7 the way they did.

Its NOT acceptable.

Also, enough with...

-Bozak on 1 PP unit, its bad enough he centers Kessel and JVR
-Lets just stop giving late period goals
-Defensive positioning has to be good avg ain't gonna cut it

Bag skate these ****ers if they don't put it together Oct. 1st

But...it is only preseason

RASHBEEP

Sep 18, 2010
Reimer's reaction

1049.gif

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Really? I thought Ranger was the worst player on the ice tonight, couldn't handle the puck and it lead to a number of good chances.

I was watching a different game than you guys then. I targeted that pairing tonight and found the opposite.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m

Carlyle says Gardiner isn't up to standard he played at in the playoffs. Adds he's running out of time to get there.

What the ****? Running out of time? Is Carlyle taking his meds? Surely he realizes Ranger/Fraser or even Phaneuf haven't been better than Jake in this preseason.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I think this guy missed most of last season where this happened regularly and Reimer still managed to win.

Quality vs quantity. The Wings had way too many golden scoring chances tonight. Most of the time we got outshot last season, they were mostly perimeter low % shots.

This is the exact reason why corsi is next to useless.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I sort of understand what Carlyle is talking about. Gardiner does a lot of good things, but there's also a lot of times I'm wondering what the hell he is doing. Don't know how many times I've seen him down low this preseason for no good reason. He's good enough on his skates to get back, but it seems to me he is trying too hard instead of just letting the game come to him.

With that said, his overall impact is still good enough for a top 4 position in our defense. The time running out comment makes it sound like he could be sent down.

Quality vs quantity. The Wings had way too many golden scoring chances tonight. Most of the time we got outshot last season, they were mostly perimeter low % shots.

This is the exact reason why corsi is next to useless.

Corsi isn't useless, stats never are. You just have to know how to use it, what they tell you.

Corsi shows you puck possession primarily. As long as you use it for that, it's fine.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Bobby Ryan sent a text to Jake...

"been there, done that"

Randy just seems to take a dislike to some players:dunno:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If we keep getting outshot like this, we have to be extremely lucky like last year.

It's not a mere matter of being outshot...it's how we're being outshot. Tonight, they were giving up far too many quality shots against and it bit them in the ass. Detroit has far too much skill to let them walk right up into your top circle and take shots or plop themselves right in front of your goalie. While I didn't keep track with a pen and paper, Detroit's chances hardly ever came from a rebound. Their chances were coming from cycling, winning board battles, etc.

Should be a good wake up call for the team...especially against a team that'll be in their conference.

Franson played well and handled big minutes in his first game back.

And I miss Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad