Confirmed Trade: [DET/VAN] Red Wings trade F David Pope to Canucks for D Alex Biega

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Biega is the depth defensemen, nothing more nothing less.

But HFBoards Canucks treat him like he some f***ing Top 4 defensemen

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Yeah looks like this was a solid for Biega, not a hockey trade. Wish Benning managed to get a center though, even with very limited upside. Utica needs a C.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
This is Similar to the Leivo trade. the nucks didn't outsmart the leafs on that... the leafs gave a NHL opportunity to a hardworking player. The Canucks did Biega a favour. and im glad they did. shows class to a loyal, and great locker room guy.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
whitesmokepope.jpg
Beautiful. I was going to come on and say Benning just wanted to say "We have a Pope!" but this is better.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Not even a big fan of Biega but he's the ideal #7/8 dman for today's game and should have got more than an ECHL player in a trade. Benning continues to be a dum-dum.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Not really a big loss for Vancouver. He's a heart and soul depth guy but not a guy who actually makes the team better.

That said, it's shocking how inept Benning is at trades. It's like he's always somehow dealing from a position if weakness.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Biega was depth for Vancouver but some people thought he was something more.

I swear to god, we need to stop romanticizing in depth defensemen like we did with Ryan Stanton. Heart and soul my ass, I reserve that to guys who do some something, not fill the line up.

I have no affection on this guy, peace out.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks gift a player to Detroit and give Biega a chance to stay in the show. But couldn't we at least get a late draft choice???

But good that Dim Jim didn't include a draft choice as he usually does.

Does anyone know the exact nature of Pope's contract??? Looks like a two way so maybe some cap savings???

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks gift a player to Detroit and give Biega a chance to stay in the show. But couldn't we at least get a late draft choice???

But good that Dim Jim didn't include a draft choice as he usually does.

Does anyone know the exact nature of Pope's contract??? Looks like a two way so maybe some cap savings???
No cap savings. Biega was not counting against the cap because he makes under $1.075 mill on his 1 way deal which is the maximum amount that is exempt when you send a player down. So Biega costs them nothing where Sven costs them over $2 mill as his deal is over $3 mill per.

Just saves them cash as Biega is in a 1 way while Pope is a 2 way deal.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Seems like the Canucks/Benning doing a favor for Biega so he gets to play in the big leagues and not the minors.

Biega is a great bottom pairing guy, all heart and soul. Detroit fans will like him as long he isn't playing over his head in the top 4. He'll give you a solid 15-18 mins a night and can chip in occasionally offensively and throw a big hit or two

All the best to him and classy move by Benning, kudos

forty47seven

May 2, 2009

But HFBoards Canucks treat him like he some ****ing Top 4 defensemen

Yeah, he's a solid depth guy so why trade him for 25 year old winger who struggled in the AHL last season? The Canucks first RHD option when Tanev eventually goes is now Rafferty by default. I like Rafferty's offensive game but he doesn't have the same instincts and compete level that Biega has below the hashmarks in his own zone. It would have made more sense to to keep Biega as a Tanev replacement and use Rafferty to cover for Myers if he goes down. It's just weird roster management and continues the trend of Benning giving up value in a trade - granted this is a fairly minor transaction.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Seems like the Canucks/Benning doing a favor for Biega so he gets to play in the big leagues and not the minors.

Biega is a great bottom pairing guy, all heart and soul. Detroit fans will like him as long he isn't playing over his head in the top 4. He'll give you a solid 15-18 mins a night and can chip in occasionally offensively and throw a big hit or two

All the best to him and classy move by Benning, kudos
Not a smart move when Biega was our #7, or if you think Fantaburg was 7 ok lets say Bieg was our #8. Canuck dmen get injured very very often. Biega would have been seeing games by November with this team. We should NOT be trading guys like that, ya know, unless we getting a pick or someone useful in return. Poor simple management of assets again by Benning

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah, he's a solid depth guy so why trade him for 25 year old winger who struggled in the AHL last season? The Canucks first RHD option when Tanev eventually goes is now Rafferty by default. I like Rafferty's offensive game but he doesn't have the same instincts and compete level that Biega has below the hashmarks in his own zone. It would have made more sense to to keep Biega as a Tanev replacement and use Rafferty to cover for Myers if he goes down. It's just weird roster management and continues the trend of Benning giving up value in a trade - granted this is a fairly minor transaction.

Possibly to give Biega a chance somewhere else? Odds are he was never going to be a consistent NHLer with the Canucks. This trade seems more like giving someone an opportunity with another team that has more openings on their NHL roster than their AHL. At least that's how I make sense of it.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

But HFBoards Canucks treat him like he some ****ing Top 4 defensemen
I don't think anyone treats him as a top 4 dman (except Green at the end of last year), but he's a solid depth dman that always works hard, never complains, and can fill in on a moment's notice without missing a beat.

For a team that has had injury woes on defense as long as I can remember, guys like Biega are good to have.

Sucks that we only got a journeyman ECHLer in return, but I'm guessing Benning was doing Biega a solid.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Possibly to give Biega a chance somewhere else? Odds are he was never going to be a consistent NHLer with the Canucks. This trade seems more like giving someone an opportunity with another team that has more openings on their NHL roster than their AHL. At least that's how I make sense of it.

He wouldn't be in this situation if he were on the Canucks 23 man roster out of camp. My personal preference is to carry eight defenders over two extra wingers. Schaller/Motte could have easily cleared waivers and be given the same opportunity for their agents to seek out a trade. Odds are neither would get any takers and the Canucks would retain extra depth for call-ups. What you're saying makes sense, it just didn't have to play out this way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad