Confirmed Trade: [DET/VAN] Red Wings trade F David Pope to Canucks for D Alex Biega

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Benning looking at another team's useless prospect that hasn't worked out at the NHL level:
giphy.gif

Benning looking at a cheap, homegrown depth player:
giphy.gif

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Looks like the Nucks finally found someone to play with Pettersson and Broeser.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
I like Biega, good hustle guy, i remember him from a long time ago has a Bantam AA player, he was playing also with Jason Demers, and neither were the best D's on that team...

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Another nugget here: Biega has veteran status in the AHL whereas Pope does not. Utica currently has too many veteran status players to be able to play them all on a given night, as you can only have 6 veteran status players in your lineup for a game.

So there's a chance Biega would have had to rotate out of the lineup every now and again in Utica to make room for the other vets. I'm not saying this is a win for the Canucks, but there's more to it than what first meets the eye.

Reactions: mouser and Adityase

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Given future injuries and lackluster play from others during the season Biega would see 40 or so games. Just like he has the last 4 seasons when being in the same 7/8 spot to begin the year.

The problem is the doing a guy a favor thing only really works if you truly have the depth to replace him. The Canucks don’t have that depth. They now have a hole in that 7/8 spot to go along with a 1-6 that isn’t good enough to begin with.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
A 5'10", 187 lb., 31 y.o. defenceman who has never played a complete NHL season and has four goals and 32 assists in 179 games over five seasons (and who cleared waivers at a salary that would be completely buried) is traded for a career minor-league forward who will never make it to the NHL?

Hold still, my beating heart!

The Canucks have clearly moved on from Alex Biega and have done the gentlemanly thing by giving him a chance to round out his career elsewhere.

It all speaks well of Jim Benning and Canucks management.

Reactions: Strangelove

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Given future injuries and lackluster play from others during the season Biega would see 40 or so games. Just like he has the last 4 seasons when being in the same 7/8 spot to begin the year.

The problem is the doing a guy a favor thing only really works if you truly have the depth to replace him. The Canucks don’t have that depth. They now have a hole in that 7/8 spot to go along with a 1-6 that isn’t good enough to begin with.

This is essentially a message that they see Fantenburg as the #7, and then 1 of Brisebois, Raferty, or Joulevi as the next guy up. All good. We have enough young guys that our 31 year old depth guy became expendable.

I did like Biega though, hope he gets a chance to stick in Detroit.

Reactions: mattydamon

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is undoubtedly the Canucks doing a favour to Biega.

Pretty much.

Pope described him as "james neal -type", and never saw nothing from him. All those college signings year after (Kuffner, Hirose) surpassed him.

Biega would be a better partner for Cholowski at wings 3rd pair currently, better than same styled Bowey (as Cholo).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This is essentially a message that they see Fantenburg as the #7, and then 1 of Brisebois, Raferty, or Joulevi as the next guy up. All good. We have enough young guys that our 31 year old depth guy became expendable.

I did like Biega though, hope he gets a chance to stick in Detroit.

I know what the message is. What the message will be in the end is Benning will have mis-judged the talent and readiness level of all those guys. Biega has been in that 7/8 hole his entire tenure (even if he was better than other options) and still got 40 games a year. The players in those spots right now aren’t NHL players on any level. When injuries hit, as they always do, I expect we will see that is the case and out the door goes another pick to fix the depth issue mid season.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I know what the message is. What the message will be in the end is Benning will have mis-judged the talent and readiness level of all those guys. Biega has been in that 7/8 hole his entire tenure (even if he was better than other options) and still got 40 games a year. The players in those spots right now aren’t NHL players on any level. When injuries hit, as they always do, I expect we will see that is the case and out the door goes another pick to fix the depth issue mid season.

Yes, and Fantenberg was brought in to replace him and his 40 or so games a year. We have plenty of young guys ready to jump in if needed. Losing Biega will be completely irrelevant to the Canucks this year. This move is on the Utica side as we are above the Veteran limit with Biega on the roster.

Reactions: Strangelove

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad