Confirmed Trade: [DET/VAN] Red Wings trade F David Pope to Canucks for D Alex Biega

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What the **** is this. So tired of garbage moves by Jim. Our youth forwards are failing to develop in Utica because we give them garbage ice time leading to trades and loans to Europe so in order to fix that problem we trade one of our best depth utility defenders for a failed NCAA signing who’s just gonna clog up the lines some more. Have fun getting ice time boys !

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
An absolute coup for the Red Wings. Biega is a fantastic d-man and will find a home on your bottom pairing and can easily fill in the top 4 if injuries occur.

He was treated so unfairly here, with trash played above him.

Another **** up by Jim Benning.

He might do well with Detroit but not a lot of “fantastic” players clear waivers. A few do, but odds aren’t great.

Reactions: Ciao

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
He might do well with Detroit but not a lot of “fantastic” players clear waivers. A few do, but odds aren’t great.
For how much he makes, he is fantastic in comparison. Great value. He is severely underappreciated. Trust me.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What the **** is this. So tired of garbage moves by Jim. Our youth forwards are failing to develop in Utica because we give them garbage ice time leading to trades and loans to Europe so in order to fix that problem we trade one of our best depth utility defenders for a failed NCAA signing who’s just gonna clog up the lines some more. Have fun getting ice time boys !
Outside of a money move, I don't get this move from the Canuck's POV. Biega is on a 1 way deal at around $850K this season, but no impact on the cap as the Canucks are not incurring a cap hit since his entire amount is under the $1.075 million allowable to be buried.

Like they won't need depth this season?

Reactions: Jeremy2020

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He's a 6/7d, but a very solid one who can play minutes on a regular basis without looking out of place.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
whitesmokepope.jpg

Christien

May 1, 2010
Pope could be a good player, just needs some opportunity in the AHL. Hope it works out for him.

I wonder if Biega will be on the Griffins or the Wings?

Reactions: skyo

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Even though it's a nothing return, I do suppose it's strictly better than losing Biega to waivers on the way up.

Now, the real question is, why weren't we carrying Biega as a 7/8?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
A quite shocking trade by the Nucks. Trading a useful player from their worst position as an org (right side D) for a now quite strong position (left winger).

Most Nuck fans had Biega either as the 6th or 7th dman after preseason.

Unless Biega requested a trade this makes no sense.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I hope there is the subtext of "future considerations" somewhere in this trade because Vancouver just did Detroit a big favour.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This is basically the Canucks giving Biega a shot at playing in the NHL regularly. Detroit had to make the contracts work, so they send a body back.

Biega was waived and wasn't picked up. It's clear he had limited value, and the Nucks just did him a solid by sending him to a team where he'll be able to play. For all we know it would not be surprising at all if Biega/his agent requested that he be moved somewhere where he'd play.

Don't see anything wrong here tbh.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Congrats Detroit you got a good one. Biega is all heart. He should of been on this years roster. Happy he will get a opportunity elsewhere, he deserves it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad