Confirmed Trade: [DET/VAN] Red Wings trade F David Pope to Canucks for D Alex Biega

Tommy

Raffi Torres Jr.
Dec 13, 2013
Vancouver
All the best to Bulldog, was a great hustler.

All these negative comments on the trade is seriously overblown, this trade was obviously done to give Biega a shot at an NHL roster spot. If you just read the comments its like we traded a star player for scraps or something.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
All the best to Bulldog, was a great hustler.

All these negative comments on the trade is seriously overblown, this trade was obviously done to give Biega a shot at an NHL roster spot. If you just read the comments its like we traded a star player for scraps or something.
Actually if you read the comments, it's like we traded an extremely serviceable depth defenseman on a cheap contract, something we desperately need every single year by, let's say, February, for nothing. Did you not read them?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Actually if you read the comments, it's like we traded an extremely serviceable depth defenseman on a cheap contract, something we desperately need every single year by, let's say, February, for nothing. Did you not read them?
. . . and not only that, he is in such extreme demand that the only reason he cleared waivers last week is that every single other team had better options for their rosters.

Beats me why the Canucks would ever give up that prize, even as a personal accommodation to a loyal, long-serving professional!

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
. . . and not only that, he is in such extreme demand that the only reason he cleared waivers last week is that every single other team had better options for their rosters.

Beats me why the Canucks would ever give up that prize, even as a personal accommodation to a loyal, long-serving professional!
Yeah, you don't understand how waivers work.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
oh yeah?

check out HFBoards Canucks, people think we traded ****ing Conner McDavid and everyone is losing their god damn minds

I'm getting caught up on this and just I just did, first three pages had you posting about a dozen times proclaiming people were losing their minds because people are criticizing Benning for making yet another bad trade :laugh:

And it really is a dumb trade. People talking about the value being similar to when Toronto gave us Leivo is true in a sense, but it's very similar to the summer we signed Vanek/Gagner/Burmistrov/Del Zotto where people talked about how we were following the Toronto thing which had the same problem: copy one step of the process but completely miss the fundamental point. Toronto had a lot of depth on the pro team and farm and had no room for Leivo, so they did a solid by finding a team that could use him. Vancouver did the latter part with Biega, but we most certainly do not have the defensive depth. New guy Fantenberg is now the #7, then a bunch of young guys on the farm who Benning must think is ready but are really just average AHL players at best right now and haven't shown enough anything to suggest they deserve AHL time. What's likely going to happen now this season is injuries will hit our blueline and Benning will have to trade a draft pick to acquire another teams depth player.

If he wanted to show respect to Biega, he should have had a spot on the Canucks. Beiga's been our #7 guy for a full 4 seasons now, always been a good trooper and usually plays better than the new dmen Benning brings in that bumps him into the press box until injuries hit. The right thing to do would have been to carry 8 dmen on the roster and waive the 14th forward, where we do actually have enough depth.

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
lmao. dude was on waivers
Aren't the Wings pretty low on the claim order right now? I guess the benefit to the Wings is that they still have a relatively high claim spot until the waiver order is revised later in the season.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, you don't understand how waivers work.
Well, aren't waivers a process in which a team exposes a player with significant professional experience to a claim from every other team before it demotes him to the AHL, but few players get claimed because every other team has its own players that it wants to protect as well?

I would be interested in your explanation of "how waivers work."

Reactions: Adityase

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Aren't the Wings pretty low on the claim order right now? I guess the benefit to the Wings is that they still have a relatively high claim spot until the waiver order is revised later in the season.
What are you talking about?

The waiver order doesn't change if a claim is made.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am not sure why the canucks moved on from biega, but having decided to move on, i like the fact they moved him to a place he could potentially play instead of putting him in mothballs just in case the way the leafs did with corrado. ironically, the leafs got corrado in the first place from the canucks waiving him to give him a new chance.

also have to like that pope has a 45 minute drive to change teams also. he can maybe even keep his current apartment.

very considerate all round. the new nhl.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Doesn't mean you have to trade a serviceable 6-7D for a career minor leaguer who has no hope of ever playing in the NHL.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Jesus Canucks fans.

The guy didn't get claimed on waivers, probably requested a trade to a team he could play on, and got moved to a team that needs D depth. Most of these people complaining were applauding Dubas last year for doing the exact same thing for Leivo, who was in a very similar situation, while saying Benning was an idiot for not getting more. You people are the anti-vaxxers of this site.

Carcone for Leivo, Biega for Pope. Pope and Carcone will likely never see the light of day, we won on Leivo and lost on Biega, both needed a new team to play for with less depth at their position.

We have Sautner, Rafferty, Juolevi, Brisebois, Chatfield and Teves, among others, who are possibilities to improve. We complain about older vets blocking our younger talent from being call ups. The hypocracy is....unbelievable.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
This is essentially a message that they see Fantenburg as the #7, and then 1 of Brisebois, Raferty, or Joulevi as the next guy up. All good. We have enough young guys that our 31 year old depth guy became expendable.

I did like Biega though, hope he gets a chance to stick in Detroit.

That sounds great in theory but the reality is that Brisbois is an average AHLer,and Joulevi and Rafferty are complete unknowns at that level and likely nowhere near NHL ready.When the injuries hit,as they always do,do you think that barely acceptable or untested AHL players are the answer?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

It's called a GM with zero business sense....

I get doing Biega a favor for his loyalty, but to totally give away an asset and not addressing your AHL teams biggest needs is just short sighted.....

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I thought there was an article stating Pope had good potential ?

Didn't transition well ?

Meh, he was never high up the list for the Wings. A big long shot at best, and he is now 25 so not likely room for much growth at this point.

To those Canucks fans surprised by the nothing return on this, I do ask why? He was put on waivers and cleared waivers because most NHL teams want to lose a contract before adding a waiver player, so they wait and make a nothing trade after so that both teams get rid of a contract. This usually leads to one team for sure getting basically nothing in return. These types of trades are fairly standard in the NHL nowadays.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

So many tools in this thread. All the best to Biega and his family.

I respect Benning for being a man of his word on this! I know he gets tons of flak and lots of it deservedly so for his GM work, but telling a guy he would try and help him out if he could and then fulfilling that is respectable in my opinion. Also, he wasn't in the Canucks long term plans, so this trade doesn't really hurt or hinder them in anyway.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
And Detroit

They probably wanted him out of the conference and there surely weren't many suitors. I mean, he was on waivers the other day.

They probably wanted him to go somewhere where he could play in the nhl, or at least have a good chance.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
That sounds great in theory but the reality is that Brisbois is an average AHLer,and Joulevi and Rafferty are complete unknowns at that level and likely nowhere near NHL ready.When the injuries hit,as they always do,do you think that barely acceptable or untested AHL players are the answer?

I'd put Saunter on the list as well. Fantenburg was signed to fill Biegas role as the #7 when injuries hit.

Yes, I do feel that at this stage, having an 8th defenseman who is 31 years old jams up the system. I would absolutely rather have the young guys get the chance to step in as injuries happen. Some will show well, some won't, but you are talking about the #8 on your depth chart, not your top pair.

Keep in mind the AHL verteran rule was going to be a constant issue for Utica. Also keep in mind that every team in the league could have had Biega for free, but no takers.

Reactions: Strangelove

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Jesus Canucks fans.

The guy didn't get claimed on waivers, probably requested a trade to a team he could play on, and got moved to a team that needs D depth. Most of these people complaining were applauding Dubas last year for doing the exact same thing for Leivo, who was in a very similar situation, while saying Benning was an idiot for not getting more. You people are the anti-vaxxers of this site.

Carcone for Leivo, Biega for Pope. Pope and Carcone will likely never see the light of day, we won on Leivo and lost on Biega, both needed a new team to play for with less depth at their position.

We have Sautner, Rafferty, Juolevi, Brisebois, Chatfield and Teves, among others, who are possibilities to improve. We complain about older vets blocking our younger talent from being call ups. The hypocracy is....unbelievable.
:facepalm:

One, LD and RD are different positions. I shouldn't have to say this.

Two, Biega was blocking exactly freaking nobody. Rafferty and Teves are complete unknowns at this point. Chatfield just plain sucks. Sautner, Brisebois and Juolevi are all lefties. Tell me what great depth the Canucks have in Utica.

Three, people were applauding Dubas for finding Leivo a new NHL home because he actually had players in-house to replace him, and he got more than a freaking ECHL player for him.

Four, if you're not capable of understanding the relative value of cheap, homegrown depth players who cost you nothing to acquire (like Benning) maybe it'll dawn on you when Tanev gets hurt, Myers gets destroyed in front-line shutdown duty, there's nobody competent to call up and Benning has to shell out more draft picks to replace the guy he just gave away for nothing of any use to the team. Or maybe you won't, I dunno.

Five, I know it's super-cool and popular for a certain segment of supposed Canucks fans to shit all over their fellow posters, but use some critical thought before posting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad