Confirmed Trade: [DET/NYR] Marc Staal and 2021 2nd round pick for future considerations

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
Thanks for the new information. Never knew that.

People keep giving Yzerman credit for getting Kucherov in the second round... but it was Al Murray that deserves the credit.

And guess what? Murray is still with TB.

Next.
how do you think the relationship between scouts and GM's works?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Really sets the market for cap dumps. Given Edmunson got a 3rd and Det's reported interest in Marky, would rights to Markstrom + Virtanen be enough for Det to take 2 years of Eriksson? Maybe Det doesnt have enough space for all that salary...
No, not even close. We're overloaded at potential W's etc. LE dump starts with a 1st+ a good C/LD prospect.

Also, Staal is only owed $3.2 salary, even though caphit is $5.75m. Had it been $5.75m in salary also, NYR are looking @ 1st or 2nd+decent (but not great) C/LD prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The Rangers will be the next Dynasty. Locked and loaded at every position.
7DA3C32D-49F4-4B21-90CA-5EF4062A68A3.gif

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I mean, we did dump Mike Green for a 4th.
Two games of Mike Green at that.

My guess is we move Nemeth for a contender's 2nd. He will have more positive value to a contender and we can easily retain salary to fit him in to whoever gives the best offer.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Seems like an appropriate price to dump Staal given the cost to dump Marleau. Good deal for both teams, with the obvious caveat being how the Rangers spend the money.

They may decide to just keep it so they don't have overages from the Lafreniere and Kakko ELC's.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Seems like an appropriate price to dump Staal given the cost to dump Marleau. Good deal for both teams, with the obvious caveat being how the Rangers spend the money.

They may decide to just keep it so they don't have overages from the Lafreniere and Kakko ELC's.
Rangers can’t help themselves, taylor hall will show interest in the Rangers then blow $11 mill on him. Would be worth it though as imo he would quickly become their best player.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Rangers can’t help themselves, taylor hall will show interest in the Rangers then blow $11 mill on him. Would be worth it though as imo he would quickly become their best player.
This post made by a person who hasn’t even bothered to look at the Rangers roster or the fact that they are about to add another LW 1st overall in a little over a week.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This post made by a person who hasn’t even bothered to look at the Rangers roster or the fact that they are about to add another LW 1st overall in a little over a week.
That’s irrelevant, you think Laf will start on the first 2 lines? Your former MVP Hall would bump Panarin down to the second line, Laf the 3rd. Laf could either take halls spot on the 1st line or be one of the best 2nd line left winger in the game. I personally think over time he will be the op lw on the team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting format for a "cap dump" deal.

Gotta be a blow to the ego if you're Staal though, and realize that you alone, were not even worth "future considerations". They had to throw in that substantial sweetner. Not that i'd expect that to be a surprise to him or anything, but to have it etched in the transaction records archive for the rest of time...has to be a bit of an embarrassing look to wear.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That’s irrelevant, you think Laf will start on the first 2 lines? Your former MVP Hall would bump Panarin down to the second line, Laf the 3rd. Laf could either take halls spot on the 1st line or be one of the best 2nd line left winger in the game. I personally think over time he will be the op lw on the team.
We also have Kreider. We have no use for Hall. And Hall isn’t better than Panarin or Zibenijad. His 52 points would have ranked 5th on our team last year behind Tony D. Whoever signs him better hope he still has that 1st overall luck with him.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We also have Kreider. We have no use for Hall. And Hall isn’t better than Panarin or Zibenijad. His 52 points would have ranked 5th on our team last year behind Tony D. Whoever signs him better hope he still has that 1st overall luck with him.
I would argue that MVP hall is more indicative of his play as a whole than 52 points hall and that mvp hall is better than both Zibanejad and Panarin... he was just stuck in a bad situation. That being said the cap savings from trading staal is good for the team, I just can’t see your gm not spend it on a big UFA.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
How about you explain whats wrong? Rangers spending money on UFA’s or the former MVP of the hockey world becoming your best player? I think a change in scenery will make Hall become his old MVP self again.

"Rangers can’t help themselves, taylor hall will show interest in the Rangers then blow $11 mill on him. Would be worth it though as imo he would quickly become their best player."

- The Rangers can help themselves
- Taylor likely has little interest in the Rangers
- the Rangers wont offer 11M a year
- hall will not get 11M from anyone given the financial climate and his injury history
- It wouldn't be worth it
- he wouldn't be our best player.

Literally every thing was wrong. I've never seen a more wronger post on this forum before.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
"Rangers can’t help themselves, taylor hall will show interest in the Rangers then blow $11 mill on him. Would be worth it though as imo he would quickly become their best player."

- The Rangers can help themselves
- Taylor likely has little interest in the Rangers
- the Rangers wont offer 11M a year
- hall will not get 11M from anyone given the financial climate and his injury history
- It wouldn't be worth it
- he wouldn't be our best player.

Literally every thing was wrong. I've never seen a more wronger post on this forum before.
-Whether you like it or not, the history of the rangers has shown they like to flex their wealth.
-You don’t know that, if I remember correctly panarin wasn’t interested in the rangers until he randomly signed with your team.
-Your gm literally just did with panarin.
-you never know
-and yes to both. Taylor hall is getting massively underrated here to prove a weird point.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I would argue that hall is better than both of them, he was just stuck in a bad situation. That being said the cap savings from trading staal is good for the team, I just can’t see your gm not spend it on a big UFA.
In Hall’s best season, which he’s 2 seasons removed from, he didn’t score as many points as Panarin had last year in 3/4 of a season. Mika scored more goals last season in 3/4 of a season (less actually because he got hurt) than Hall ever has in his career, and he’s a center. He’s also hurt often. Argue away but you’ll be proven wrong every time. Oh, and there’s also the fact that WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER LW. Glen Satter isn’t the GM of the Rangers any more.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Panarin is a superior player to Hall, with far less miles and a much better health history. That make him both a better player, and a better value.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Anyone else wondering what the future considerations will actually end up being. Is it a conditional pick that is unlikely to meet the requirements?

"Future Considerations" means nothing, there will be no picks or players conditionally added into the deal even if Stall suddenly turns into an all star next season.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
No, not even close. We're overloaded at potential W's etc. LE dump starts with a 1st+ a good C/LD prospect.

Also, Staal is only owed $3.2 salary, even though caphit is $5.75m. Had it been $5.75m in salary also, NYR are looking @ 1st or 2nd+decent (but not great) C/LD prospect.

Helpful to know that you dont need a winger. No comment on the goalie though.

The good thing about this deal is it sets the market. So when a Nucks fan says LE for a 2nd, we know that isnt the market. Just like when a Detroit fan says 1st + prospect, we also know that isn't the market. The market is two 2nds, one for each year.

BTW, LE is 6 mill, 12 mill total cap but the real dollars are only 5 mill totoal (one this year four the next). So the real dollars are 2.5 per season, which is less than Staal.

Maybe if you bothered to look at his salary breakdown your matter of fact statement about 1st + prospect might be a little more convincing; fortunately, as i said, this deal clearly puts the market at two 2nds.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
In Hall’s best season, which he’s 2 seasons removed from, he didn’t score as many points as Panarin had last year in 3/4 of a season. Mika scored more goals last season in 3/4 of a season (less actually because he got hurt) than Hall ever has in his career, and he’s a center. He’s also hurt often. Argue away but you’ll be proven wrong every time. Oh, and there’s also the fact that WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER LW. Glen Satter isn’t the GM of the Rangers any more.
I don’t want to keep going in circles, but like I said earlier, I personally think he would be your best player and it would be odd that if any team could get him that they would not try to sign him.
Panarin is a superior player to Hall, with far less miles and a much better health history. That make him both a better player, and a better value.
Quite funny how you get proven wrong and thats all you come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I don’t want to keep going in circles, but like I said earlier, I personally think he would be your best player and it would be odd that if any team you could get him that they would not try to sign him.

Quite funny how you get proven wrong and thats all you come up with.
Please explain why a team who after the draft will have their top 3 left wings set needs to go out and sign an expensive left wing, other than “LOL RANGERS LOVE UFAs.” Make sense of that. In the goal scoring department, which Hall purports to be, he would have ranked third on our team in goals by LWs after Panarin (31) and Kreider (24) last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad