Confirmed Trade: [DET/NYR] Marc Staal and 2021 2nd round pick for future considerations

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Staal and Kreider for a slice of cheese pizza and some crazy bread.
Detroit-style pizza is pretty underrated. I’m not sure I’d give it up for Staal.

In all seriousness this isn’t a bad deal for Detroit. They get paid to take on some veteran leadership in a player that can probably still log some minutes here or there.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Reactions: bernmeister

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm surprised Yzerman was willing to take on Staal's contract for only a ~45ish pick next year. Maybe you can also rent him out for a 3rd. Still strikes me as below market return for a dump.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I think Staal gets something with retention the deadline.

Everyone thought Bogosian had negative value but he's been decent for TB.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I'm surprised Yzerman was willing to take on Staal's contract for only a ~45ish pick next year. Maybe you can also rent him out for a 3rd. Still strikes me as below market return for a dump.
I think he stays and locks down the bottom pair while mentoring Seider like he did with ADA. If anything, this move frees up Nemeth to be traded at the TDL or earlier if Detroit lands Krug.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
But Bogo wasn't traded to TB. He walked out on Buffalo and had his contract terminated.

It's just my opinion but I believe that unless Staal struggles badly in DET some team that considers itself a cup contender will look at him as a possible experienced depth addition at the deadline.

For the right price, of course.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Not to beat up on the guy, because he was an absolute warrior for us for years, but he wasn’t an NHL caliber Dman even when the pair was being carried by DeAngelo. If what Detroit fans are saying about their defense this season isn’t an exaggeration, things could get ugly really quick.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
He built you a roster that is a game away from winning a Cup. Slow your roll.
Thanks for the new information. Never knew that.

People keep giving Yzerman credit for getting Kucherov in the second round... but it was Al Murray that deserves the credit.

And guess what? Murray is still with TB.

Next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad