Confirmed Trade: [DET/NYR] Marc Staal and 2021 2nd round pick for future considerations

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
The Rangers are not signing Hall. We need to re-sign players such as DeAngelo and possibly Fast and Strome. We also need a #2C and a top 4 LHD.

We got Panarin, Kreider, LAF & Kakko. The last thing they need is another winger, regardless of how good he may be.

In a few years players such as: LAF, Kakko, Fox and Shestyorkin will need big raises.

So why would they sign Hall?

Let someone else sign him.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Some of us think Yzerman got less...possibly for future trade. The market isn't "set" by any means.

Also, Loui Eriksson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps has LE being owed $4M/yr. Has his $3M signing bonus been paid yet?

Yes the 3 million signing bonus was paid on July 1, 2020. Not sure how the only cap dump deal doesn't set the market. For sure each deal will be unique and reflect the needs of the teams etc, and the next cap dump deal will augment the market - but so far this is the best reflection of what the actual market value is. Much better reflection than fans simply stating what they believe market value is. Of course, some DET fans think it wasn't enough value, but lots of fans also think NYR paid too much.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Why didn't Staals' NTC come into play according to Yzerman ?

What's interesting is CapFriendly says he has a full NMC for the duration of his deal while Spotrac says he has a M-NTC from 2018-2020, so I guess Spotrac was right. So it sounds like Staal might have had to submit some trade/no-trade list to the Rangers and Detroit was/wasn't on it depending on the condition. That or he didn't submit the list which nullified it, like what happened to Patrik Berglund. I don't think the Rangers would do him like that though, so I'm gonna assume it's the former.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
What's interesting is CapFriendly says he has a full NMC for the duration of his deal while Spotrac says he has a M-NTC from 2018-2020, so I guess Spotrac was right. So it sounds like Staal might have had to submit some trade/no-trade list to the Rangers and Detroit was/wasn't on it depending on the condition. That or he didn't submit the list which nullified it, like what happened to Patrik Berglund. I don't think the Rangers would do him like that though, so I'm gonna assume it's the former.
It's both. He had an NMC which prevented him from assignment to the AHL and an NTC that then became and modified NTC.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's both. He had an NMC which prevented him from assignment to the AHL and an NTC that then became and modified NTC.

I get that, what I'm saying is CapFriendly didn't (and still doesn't) have anything about the M-NTC on Staal's page on their site. I think that's where the confusion about having to waive is coming from.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm way late to the thread so I apologize if this was covered in the previous 23 pages, but since when does the NHL allow future considerations to be traded? I suspect that they are simply negotiating over the prospect going the other way, but I thought the league was strict about working that out before filing the paperwork.

scorpiorising

May 25, 2011
I'm way late to the thread so I apologize if this was covered in the previous 23 pages, but since when does the NHL allow future considerations to be traded? I suspect that they are simply negotiating over the prospect going the other way, but I thought the league was strict about working that out before filing the paperwork.
Yeah this confused me. Staal & 2nd round pick isn't exactly a small deal. How is it just future considerations?

Reactions: MissouriMook

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I get that, what I'm saying is CapFriendly didn't (and still doesn't) have anything about the M-NTC on Staal's page on their site. I think that's where the confusion about having to waive is coming from.
Yeah it def wasn’t a waiver. Like I said in another thread, I think he took some advice from his brother and left off teams he didn’t think would ever trade for him.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

just speak for he was traded for nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad