Confirmed Trade: [DET/NYR] Marc Staal and 2021 2nd round pick for future considerations

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Please explain why a team who after the draft will have their top 3 left wings set needs to go out and sign an expensive left wing, other than “LOL RANGERS LOVE UFAs.” Make sense of that. In the goal scoring department, which Hall purports to be, he would have ranked third on our team in goals by LWs after Panarin (31) and Kreider (24).
That’s the issue, you’re using this years hall on the devils and yotes as a barometer of how he’d compare to the players on the rangers. Makes sense. I have no doubt in my mind he would become your best player, soon behind laf.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
because apparently the NMC was regarding demotion to AHL, and the NTC did not include DRW

"Staal, whose 892 regular-season games rank sixth in franchise history,
owned a modified no-trade clause on which Detroit was not listed as off-limits"
https://nypost.com/2020/09/26/rangers-trade-marc-staal-second-round-draft-pick-to-red-wings/

Not sure why capfriendly still has him with a NMC throughout. They're usually up to date with stuff like this.

According to Custance and Friedman at the time of the extension, it became modified after three years(no specifics though), the NMC only pertained to waivers.

I guess this means Bernmeister is down at the NY Post archive room digging around for news clippings that may have mentioned any forgotten modifications to Trouba's contract.:laugh:

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Where, exactly, was I "proven wrong"? You posted a bunch of opinions. Are your really considering the random thoughts bouncing around in your brain pan "proof"?
All I needed was 1 correct, you’re trying to tell me that the Rangers won’t offer up 11 mill to a player in which you did last season. How is that wrong? How is the rangers always going after high priced ufa’s wrong? Instead of a bunch of hyperbole try at least answering that. The rangers got extra cash from this trade but I don’t believe they’ll make the most of it

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That’s the issue, you’re using this years hall on the devils and yotes as a barometer of how he’d compare to the players on the rangers. Makes sense. I have no doubt in my mind he would become your best player, soon behind laf.
Yeah, so the issue for you is I’m using his most recent production, which is more indicative of his play of late, instead of the production he had over 2 years ago at this point? Again, he would have been our 5th best player last season, what exactly about Hall who is only getting older and is already a band aid boy would make him better than what we already have? Let’s get some concrete reasons why. He wasn’t better than any of the players we had in our top 6 last season save for Buch and even then it’s debatable because Buch and Hall both had the same goal total last year. Hall isn’t the league MVP anymore, and he’ll never be again.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
All I needed was 1 correct, you’re trying to tell me that the Rangers won’t offer up 11 mill to a player in which you did last season. How is that wrong? How is the rangers always going after high priced ufa’s wrong? Instead of a bunch of hyperbole try at least answering that. The rangers got extra cash from this trade but I don’t believe they’ll make the most of it
1)Because they did that last season and can’t afford to have 22 million tied up in 2 players when they have RFAs upcoming.
2)Because they don’t need a LW they need a Center and a LD
3)Glenn Sather isn’t the Ranger’s GM anymore

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

They wont offer up 11M to Hall because (a) they already have Panarin (b) They are about to draft a LW with the 1OA, (c) they want to use that cap space elsewhere, and (d) Hall is an inferior player, today, to Panarin.

he rangers got extra cash from this trade but I don’t believe they’ll make the most of it

Yes, buy resigning ADA for an amount likely the same amount they just saved by trading Staal.

Seriously, how are you this dense???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
1)Because they did that last season and can’t afford to have 22 million tied up in 2 players when they have RFAs upcoming.
2)Because they don’t need a LW they need a Center and a LD
3)Glenn Sather isn’t the Ranger’s GM anymore
That doesn’t disprove anything.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Doubt Staal ever suits up for Detroit. Pretty sure this is a paper transaction that will lead to Detroit buying him out.

Because they’re probably buying him out. He won’t ever play a game there

Wouldn't bet on this. Detroit is an abomination on the left side, and can afford to eat all the cap this year.

don't get the why detroit basically gave rangers nothing in return. "future considerations" how about throw them a future 7th rounder

They get $5.7M in cap space in return.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I don't know wth you just said man, but, I think MAF should be his next target.

5.7m and 7m cap hits? These mean nothing to Stevie Y. Stevie Y gets his.

Wouldn't mind seeing this at all, as long as we're getting paid to take him. Though I do think we can get more by taking Loui from Vancouver.

A lot is probably gonna depend on whether or not Detroit is in on Krug. With 8 forwards, 4D, and a goalie signed, they've got about $33M in cap space. They'll fill anywhere from 2-4 of those positions with ELCs. (Hronek and Zadina for sure, Seider and Rasmussen possibly) Mantha and Bertuzzi probably cost somewhere between $11-13M.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Where, exactly, was I "proven wrong"? You posted a bunch of opinions. Are your really considering the random thoughts bouncing around in your brain pan "proof"?
MVP of the hockey world Hall? Who talks like that? I kept thinking of the “What’s the frequency Kenneth” guy

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Please explain why a team who after the draft will have their top 3 left wings set needs to go out and sign an expensive left wing, other than “LOL RANGERS LOVE UFAs.” Make sense of that. In the goal scoring department, which Hall purports to be, he would have ranked third on our team in goals by LWs after Panarin (31) and Kreider (24) last season.
That’s right, not counting players resigned from the roster and a couple of the better NCAA guys signed to ELCs, outside Panarin the NYR haven’t signed any UFA of conséquence since Dan Boyle in 2014 I believe.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Helpful to know that you dont need a winger. No comment on the goalie though.

The good thing about this deal is it sets the market. So when a Nucks fan says LE for a 2nd, we know that isnt the market. Just like when a Detroit fan says 1st + prospect, we also know that isn't the market. The market is two 2nds, one for each year.

BTW, LE is 6 mill, 12 mill total cap but the real dollars are only 5 mill totoal (one this year four the next). So the real dollars are 2.5 per season, which is less than Staal.

Maybe if you bothered to look at his salary breakdown your matter of fact statement about 1st + prospect might be a little more convincing; fortunately, as i said, this deal clearly puts the market at two 2nds.
Some of us think Yzerman got less...possibly for future trade. The market isn't "set" by any means.

Also, Loui Eriksson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps has LE being owed $4M/yr. Has his $3M signing bonus been paid yet?

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
MVP of the hockey world Hall? Who talks like that? I kept thinking of the “What’s the frequency Kenneth” guy
A wise man once said that if you stop feeding the pigeons, they will go. Instead of debating how someone talks, debate their post. Anyways at one point Taylor Hall was the MVP of the hockey world, I believe he still has it in him. He would be great for the rangers and they could trade Kreider and move laf to the right. It looks like a recipe for success to me.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
A wise man once said that if you stop feeding the pigeons, they will go. Instead of debating how someone talks, debate their post. Anyways at one point Taylor Hall was the MVP of the hockey world, I believe he still has it in him. He would be great for the rangers and they could trade Kreider and move laf to the right. It looks like a recipe for success to me.

And in three years the Rangers would be spending $30M - $35M of their cap on wingers...

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
And in three years the Rangers would be spending $30M - $35M of their cap on wingers...
I would say it’s worth it, Oilers took for granted the need for wingers when we shipped off hall, ebs and maroon. Now we’ve been chasing wingers to compete consistently, the good thing is that yams is looking great us. The space they created with this trade and maybe signing hall would equate to that franchise having 2 (hall and Panarin) and maybe 3 wingers (Lafrieniere developing) better than their #1 center. It is a decent problem to have especially when true #1 centres are extremely harder to come by. The wingers will mask the need for a true #1c is my train of thought.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
1) Kreider just signed, they have no desire to trade him, and he scored more goals than Hall last year
2) Laf isn’t moving to the left and the team doesn’t have any desire to have players playing out of position
3) Hall was MVP over two years ago now and that year was the aberration and not the norm for his career. His MVP year was still not as good as Panarin’s this year in 3/4 of a season.

Reactions: bernmeister

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
1) Kreider just signed, they have no desire to trade him, and he scored more goals than Hall last year
2) Laf isn’t moving to the left and the team doesn’t have any desire to have players playing out of position
3) Hall was MVP over two years ago now and that year was the aberration and not the norm for his career. His MVP year was still not as good as Panarin’s this year in 3/4 of a season.
1)If you sign former mvp hall with the extra money you got with this trade, you 100% move kreider.
2) lafrieniere can’t really move to the left side as he is a is a natural LW. One who can play RW very well.
3) Halls mvp year is clearly better than anything panarin has done as his trophy is also confirmation. Hall on the rangers would be a great career move for him.

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
Taylor Hall? 10 years, 3 teams, 2 playoff appearances? That's the guy you think the Rangers should add? That's the guy? lol.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Taylor Hall? 10 years, 3 teams, 2 playoff appearances? That's the guy you think the Rangers should add? That's the guy? lol.
Yes, you need wingers to make up for the lack of a true #1 center and having ryan strome as your #2.
To be fair though, Mika had a great season, I just don’t see that being the norm for him.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
1)If you sign former mvp hall with the extra money you got with this trade, you 100% move kreider.
2) lafrieniere can’t really move to the left side as he is a is a natural LW. One who can play RW very well.
3) Halls mvp year is clearly better than anything panarin has done as his trophy is also confirmation. Hall on the rangers would be a great career move for him.
Clearly better yet he scored 93 points in a full season that year and Panarin had 95 this year in 3/4 of a season. Welp there goes that point for you.

Get it through your head: WE DON’T NEED ANY MORE LWs

Reactions: RickChartraw

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Clearly better yet he scored 93 points in a full season that year and Panarin had 95 this year in 3/4 of a season. Welp there goes that point for you.

Get it through your head: WE DON’T NEED ANY MORE LWs
Every season has it’s own different set of dynamics, panarin rightfully lost every trophy he was nominated for and hall won. I just don’t see the issue in trying to upgrade your team. If Hall is interested in signing, you do it because he os a clear upgrade on anything you have. If he wants to sign there you simply have make room for him, that is my train of thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad