Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Jakub Vrana re-signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $5.25M AAV)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
The Wings are being run very similarly to the Tigers and it's really concerning. They are going to be a cap-floor team for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping that once they have a few more young draft picks this changes, but they aren't even trying to use the cap space to get draft picks.

I can see the similarities but I hope you're wrong.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
With all the dam goalie equipment a player could shoot a bloody bullet and not dent the "poor" 'tenders that fall down and can't get up! Leagues, the NHL included should make nets 10 x 10 and be done with it! Defensive hockey is Fricking boring and so are PP's that are predictable,boring and ineffective! That sums pretty much all PP's,making PK's King! Did anyone say ban technology? There is no room to skate and make plays unless its the boring cycling and board game!J Cristos I want to rip my eyes out 99% of the time
You know you don't have to watch right? Maybe your just not as big of a hockey fan as you thought?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
but they aren't even trying to use the cap space to get draft picks.
Huh? They had two 1st round picks in this past draft, and had additional later round picks as well (many of which were used to move up in their rounds, including trading up in the 1st round). They already have an extra 2nd round pick and two additional 4th round picks in the upcoming 2022 draft.

Reactions: Go Wings

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I don't love that number for Det but you never know with young guys who look promising.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
The Wings are being run very similarly to the Tigers and it's really concerning. They are going to be a cap-floor team for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping that once they have a few more young draft picks this changes, but they aren't even trying to use the cap space to get draft picks.
Roster space is a factor a lot of people aren’t considering. You only have so many spots on the NHL and AHL roster for these cap dump players before it starts impacting the kids playing time. Not to mention the AHL has a vet limit so you can’t just pick up half a dozen dumps and play them there. Roster management is every bit as important as cap management. Wings aren’t spending much over the cap simply because they don’t have that many roster players worth investing large contracts into yet.

Reactions: njx9

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I don't think it's smart to use the cap space that way. Like pushing the cap full on free agency and in a rebuild. That usually means longer contracts which could be problematic for time-scale after the rebuild. He used some smaller and shorter deals like Staal, Nemeth, Merrill, to fetch three picks. Maybe tried same with forwards (Filppula, Namestnikov), but didn't get any offers.

Yzerman is building a room for future moves, by not using the cap, shedding all the dead weight out and and pushing caphits as low as possible. Then he rides as a "savior" for the cap problem team (like Capitals), and does a robbery. Like Mantha-trade.

When all the dead weight (read: Nielsen) is gone, I'm sure he will bolster the team full against he cap. It's pretty much after next season. Everything will end at next off-season. The rebuild. Hope we will be also lucky to a Center drafted with our first pick. Then we will never look back.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
That's a fair value contract that Detroit can easily afford. Since he became an NHL regular in the 17-18 season he ranks 19th in the league in even strength goals with 78 but for some reason has only managed to score 3 on the power play.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
That's still a lot of total power play time to only have 3 goals no?

Most powerplay goals are scored by a team's top units because it's in many cases a team's best 5 skaters together and it's much more systematic than general 5 on 5 offensive zone play. Should he score more on the powerplay? Definitely, and I think he'll get more opportunity to be the set shooter on the powerplay in Detroit whereas in Washington he had to contend with Ovechkin.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
That's still a lot of total power play time to only have 3 goals no?
Depends on how it’s designed and a players role. Some guys are just set away from the net on the boards as passer/playmaker types and get fewer goals. Not sure what Vrana’s PP role was but it’s not all the uncommon to get heavy minutes with low goal numbers. Guys like Tanguay and Thornton would be examples.

Reactions: GRob83

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Playing on Detroit is like living in witness protection. I likely won’t hear about Vrana until he becomes a free agent or traded.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
That's a fair value contract that Detroit can easily afford. Since he became an NHL regular in the 17-18 season he ranks 19th in the league in even strength goals with 78 but for some reason has only managed to score 3 on the power play.

Ovechkin is a powerplay hog, I don't think that stat means anything. He's not very clutch in the playoffs though looking at his numbers.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Playing on Detroit is like living in witness protection. I likely won’t hear about Vrana until he becomes a free agent or traded.
Right now it is because we are rebuilding, if there were any sort of expectations for the team at all you’d be hearing a ton about it trust me.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I can’t wait until our rebuild is finished and we’re an even more desired franchise for UFA’s

Looking forward to some HF posters eating crow

That’s funny considering there was a period where the Pens were a wasteland until Crosby and Malkin came along and the bandwagon filled up

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I can’t wait until our rebuild is finished and we’re an even more desired franchise for UFA’s

Looking forward to some HF posters eating crow

That’s funny considering there was a period where the Pens were a wasteland until Crosby and Malkin came along and the bandwagon filled up
They’ll be back to that once Crosby and Malkin are gone

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

I say this as a Wings fan: With a salary cap in effect, Detroit will never be a prime destination for UFAs, and that is going to significantly lengthen and dampen the rebuild.

1. SE Michigan is one of the worst NHL regions to live in.
2. Detroit players have to pay all of Federal, State, City, and Sales tax, which combines to take almost half their salary in tax.
3. Profit sharing means that even small market teams can spend to the cap.

Detroit was able to overcome the handicap of being Detroit in the 90s-2000s because they won, could spend more, and had a legendary coach. Those days are gone.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
I say this as a Wings fan: With a salary cap in effect, Detroit will never be a prime destination for UFAs, and that is going to significantly lengthen and dampen the rebuild.

1. SE Michigan is one of the worst NHL regions to live in.
2. Detroit players have to pay all of Federal, State, City, and Sales tax, which combines to take almost half their salary in tax.
3. Profit sharing means that even small market teams can spend to the cap.

Detroit was able to overcome the handicap of being Detroit in the 90s-2000s because they won, could spend more, and had a legendary coach. Those days are gone.

SE Michigan? You mean, Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Birmingham, Novi, Northville, Grosse Pointe (and all of it's sub cities). Yea, such a terrible place to live. You're ignorance of SE Michigan and Michigan in general is pretty evident.

Detroit non resident city income tax is 1.2%, State of Michigan income tax is a flat 4.25%. So combined, you're talking 5.45% which isn't much by comparison to almost any other NHL franchise. (All players in the US pay federal). That coupled with the highest federal tax bracket and the various deductions and what not that the rich have available isn't close to half or even almost half. By your logic, there's not a single player in the world who would want to voluntarily play and live in Canada due to the higher tax burdens.
Any player in any state with a sales tax that buys things has to pay the sales tax on what it's applied to. Not sure why you think paying sales tax is such a "Michigan" thing.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
SE Michigan? You mean, Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Birmingham, Novi, Northville, Grosse Pointe (and all of it's sub cities). Yea, such a terrible place to live. You're ignorance of SE Michigan and Michigan in general is pretty evident.

Detroit non resident city income tax is 1.2%, State of Michigan income tax is a flat 4.25%. So combined, you're talking 5.45% which isn't much by comparison to almost any other NHL franchise. (All players in the US pay federal). That coupled with the highest federal tax bracket and the various deductions and what not that the rich have available isn't close to half or even almost half. By your logic, there's not a single player in the world who would want to voluntarily play and live in Canada due to the higher tax burdens.
Any player in any state with a sales tax that buys things has to pay the sales tax on what it's applied to. Not sure why you think paying sales tax is such a "Michigan" thing.

I live in SE Michigan. It's pretty much a shit place to live compared to every other NHL region outside of the Alberta wastelands.

Constant construction, terrible traffic, rude people, nowhere to go and nothing to do, almost no art or culture to speak of. Terrible winters with worsening road management every winter. You have a few nice areas and as soon as you leave them it turns into thunderdome. Most of the people here are rubes. It sucks.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
I live in SE Michigan. It's pretty much a shit place to live compared to every other NHL region outside of the Alberta wastelands.

Constant construction, terrible traffic, rude people, nowhere to go and nothing to do, almost no art or culture to speak of. Terrible winters with worsening road management every winter. You have a few nice areas and as soon as you leave them it turns into thunderdome. Most of the people here are rubes. It sucks.

You live an absolutely sheltered life if you think there's nothing to do or no place to go. The world exists outside of Taylortucky.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Ah, the oft-sighted “don’t insult the place I live in” angle commences

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad