Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Jakub Vrana re-signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $5.25M AAV)

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Was hoping for 4 years but this is a good contract, Vrana has been one of the better 5v5 scorers in the league the last few years. He has near PPG potential imo if he can figure out how to produce 5v4

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He has near PPG potential imo if he can figure out how to produce 5v4
That starts with him getting 5v4 time. Washington didn't really have room for him on PP1 on a regular basis, given that they had Backstrom and Kuznetsov taking the left shooting forward slots on the powerplay. Washington's PP2 rarely saw the ice.

He should get more PP opportunities in Detroit.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Curious to see what you think $5.25M buys if you think Vrana isn't already worth that after putting up 25G/52P and 19G/36P in the COVID shortened seasons (equivalent to 30G performances in a full year). Compares pretty well to similar RFA-to-UFA deals signed in the past few years.

Oh no I agree that his numbers are solid. Just would have been more concerned if it was a product of him playing with Washington. 11 games (which at that point were meaningless games) in Detroit is a tiny sample size to see if he can produce with less firepower around him.

Like I said this deal is likely gonna look legit by year two, but I just felt it was a bit too high to start. Mind you we’re talking off-season where everyone’s worth is inflated like a celiac at a bakery.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Most fans I believe think a Million dollars a year is too much when most of us are making "slave" wages! The more players are paid the more turned off to this game I become

Realistically, the players "deserve" more than they're earning. The salary cap creates an artifical ceiling on their wages to keep money in the owners' pockets.

I suppose that's a different conversation though.

Reactions: Hivemind

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
Most fans I believe think a Million dollars a year is too much when most of us are making "slave" wages! The more players are paid the more turned off to this game I become

So you are more turned on when the billionaire owners just keep the money themselves? The game would be more watchable to you if Vrana signed for a million dollars less and Illitch kept the money in his wallet?

Reactions: SoupNazi

serp

Jan 17, 2016
thats fine but that doesn’t make the trade better. Dallas didn’t view Neal as a top six forward. Doesn’t mean trading him and niskanen for Gogo was a good deal.

Nah they very much did but they also had no top4 defenseman and badly needed one. Neal was viewed as replaceable because Benn was seen a much better player down the line ( that turned out correct ) . Throwing in Niskanen because he was crap after Zubov retired was a big mistake though.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps didn’t view him as a top six forward.

They did, for his offensive production, but his attention to detail and consistency is the question mark. Vrana is a one-way player. He does not back-check well for a Winger position. He has no physical game and he's weak working the puck along the boards w/ opponents d-men pressuring him. Since coming up to the NHL, Vrana had issues with multiple Caps coaches. He doesn't always listen to what the coaches tell him what to do in certain situations.

Vrana is a pure goal scorer and a fast skater, but not much else. He should be the Wings leading goal scorer and give them a boost on the PP, but don't expect more than that. If I'm Blashill, it would be smart to compliment Vrana with a some hard working 2-way forward line mates because Vrana aint gonna back-check the way you would want him too.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
IMO the AAV is great.
What a deal by Detroit last season.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
why?
He has the same career high in goals.
He’s younger than Mantha.
Signed cheaper than him for the same number of years 3.

you could argue mantha brings a bit more outside or scoring. But was it work giving up an extra 1rst?

Because he couldn't do what coaching was continuously asking, If he's not scoring he's not doing anything. The 1st has been described in the past as part of what the cost was to take on Paniks contract. The over simplification of it is this:

Washington as currently constructed couldn't take the time to wait on Vrana to be a consistent player and wasn't a consistent top 6 player because he didn't have a 200 ft game that numerous coaches tried to pull out of him and he just refused. He then sulked and pouted and would get scratched. He wasn't going to get top line/top PP minutes in Washington.

Detroit is in a perfect situation to take him - A player that is a delight offensively when he's on if he's not then he'll disappear. They also have the icetime to give him more opportunity to perform.

Mantha was a more complete player as you point out. He's bigger more defensively aware and when he's not scoring in the albeit limited showing he was still contributing elsewhere on the ice. The Caps targeted him as a player that was a known quantity that could potentially turn a corner based on not being the "guy" and also playing for a consistent contender/playoff team. At the very least they get what Vrana currently was for them minus the headaches that he's been for coaches.

I think Vrana will however be very good for Detroit and wish him the best I was a huge fan.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Capitals thought they will get Mantha cheaper for the future years.

Mantha 5.7M, 3 years.

Vrana, 5.25M, 3 years

And they wanted to pay 1st for that. :D

Let Yzerman trade. Let him trade.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
This is probably one of the best compromises I've seen. Ideally I think he's worth in the 4 million range, but this is only 3 years and they are prime years too (25-28 years of age). If he achieves significant growth then this will look like a great deal, and if not then he will be traded on deadlines or part ways in 3 years.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

Mantha 5.7M, 3 years.

Vrana, 5.25M, 3 years

Caps traded Vrana because he felt out of our new head coaches favour, and told he was unhappy at DC.

They needed a top6 winger to replace Vrana so they rather overpaid a bit for a guy they liked than find a right price for a guy they didnt like as much.

It can still be a win-win trade. Most Caps fans hope good things for Vrana. And obviously have high hopes for Mantha to work out better here than what Vrana did. His last 2 years here were inconsistent and one dimensional but that doesnt mean it has to be that way in Detroit.

No need to bash the deal like many are doing. Atleast not yet. Vrana and Caps just werent a fit anymore.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
So you are more turned on when the billionaire owners just keep the money themselves? The game would be more watchable to you if Vrana signed for a million dollars less and Illitch kept the money in his wallet?
I didn't say that at all! The game is getting out of reach for families and yes the Billionaire owners and players had something to do with that! Personally I think the product stinks until they open things up and go to 4 on 4 hockey and stop the gimmicky 3 on 3 shit! And the league(NHL) and throughout needs to reign in the sickening amount of goalie equipment that is allowed,its killed the PP and made hockey into a chess match resembling boring Soccer!!!

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think the Wings got the better of the deal as I think Mantha and Vrana are comparable players. Mantha has the height/size advantage and Vrana has the speed. I think Vrana has a bit more drive to be a team leading player, whereas Mantha is more content to be a complimentary guy. Mantha has the higher potential but at 26 I think he is mostly who he is at this point. So to get a 1st & 2nd for Panik is a great deal.

I'm really content with this deal too. I don't think Vrana is a guy we will probably build around long term, but at 3 years he has time to settle with the team or become a very valuable trade asset. Stevie is building this team correctly. He isn't dumping cap into a position (wing) that is not a core building block position. You need good wingers, but if you are going for a long term deal look towards centers, dmen, and maybe a goalie (but you have to catch them young and get them cheaper, not for in prime players).

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Mantha 5.7M, 3 years.

Vrana, 5.25M, 3 years

The Wings got Vrana and the future goaltender(Cossa) of the Detroit team for Mantha! As a closet Red Wings fan I didn't like the deal but its Yzerman's toy to play and deal with!

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
great contract for the player it takes him straight to UFA status and thanks to the poor roster Yzerman has assembled he will spend 3 years getting more top line and powerplay minutes than he might elsewhere so should have some nice inflated stats to negotiate his next deal

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
What a trade this was lol. I liked it for Detroit when only Mantha & Vrana were reported… loved it when the other pieces were announced… love it even more now that he’s making less (as much? on mobile) than Mantha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad