Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Jakub Vrana re-signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $5.25M AAV)

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Played well after being traded to the Wings. Borderline top line player for that price isnt bad.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Only buys 1 UFA year though.

For the Wings' situation I think that's reasonable though, three years gives us enough time to evaluate whether or not he's a player we want to commit more money and term to as we transition out of a rebuild. If so, you can look at negotiation an extension in two years. If not, which I think is probably more likely, then we'll have keep our ears open for potential trades on this contract.

I do expect Jakub to play this entire year (if healthy) on the Wings though, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So?

Detroit is still rebuilding and all the contracts Yzerman has signed have been 3 years or less. That is by design to see which players fit and which ones don't.
If nothing else, this is a highly tradeable contract that Yzerman will get some solid futures for, should either side decide that it isn't a long term fit in a year or two.

Another shrewd move by Yzerman.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Only buys 1 UFA year though.
He’s arbitration eligible. And given that it appears that it will take Detroit a couple more years to turn things around they had to pay to keep him around.
That’s the premium bad teams have to pay. Can’t be bad hoping for top picks and expect players to want to be there during the losing.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A bit bigher AAV than he’s currently worth, but he could easily be worth this contract by year 2.
Curious to see what you think $5.25M buys if you think Vrana isn't already worth that after putting up 25G/52P and 19G/36P in the COVID shortened seasons (equivalent to 30G performances in a full year). Compares pretty well to similar RFA-to-UFA deals signed in the past few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad