Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Jakub Vrana re-signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $5.25M AAV)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seider's performance bonuses hitting will give them an extra ~2M to get slightly higher above the floor. :laugh:

These have nothing to do with the cap floor.

Hronek and Erne will still sign for 6.0-6.5 million together.

They will be at 67-68 million with the complete team. 7-8 M over the cap floor. You add possible Seider's bonuses for that.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I didn't say that at all! The game is getting out of reach for families and yes the Billionaire owners and players had something to do with that! Personally I think the product stinks until they open things up and go to 4 on 4 hockey and stop the gimmicky 3 on 3 shit! And the league(NHL) and throughout needs to reign in the sickening amount of goalie equipment that is allowed,its killed the PP and made hockey into a chess match resembling boring Soccer!!!
They should ban composite sticks too so players can shoot it so hard and go back to wood! If you want smaller goalie gear you need to roll back sticks too go they aren’t getting seriously hurt. Like hard shell pads too! Let’s ban all new technology and go back 40-50 years like it’s the 70s/80s again!

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Hope this was meant as a joke, Seiders performance bonus would effect next years cap not this years cap. And with Erne and Hronek still to sign will cover around 6.0 to 6.5 and put us way over the cap floor.
If you have enough room under the cap they are applied to the current season. Bonuses only carry over when you are capped.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
They should ban composite sticks too so players can shoot it so hard and go back to wood! If you want smaller goalie gear you need to roll back sticks too go they aren’t getting seriously hurt. Like hard shell pads too! Let’s ban all new technology and go back 40-50 years like it’s the 70s/80s again!
With all the dam goalie equipment a player could shoot a bloody bullet and not dent the "poor" 'tenders that fall down and can't get up! Leagues, the NHL included should make nets 10 x 10 and be done with it! Defensive hockey is Fricking boring and so are PP's that are predictable,boring and ineffective! That sums pretty much all PP's,making PK's King! Did anyone say ban technology? There is no room to skate and make plays unless its the boring cycling and board game!J Cristos I want to rip my eyes out 99% of the time

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think the AAV is perfectly fine for a player of Vrana’s caliber, but the term does suck for the Wings. Bought 2 RFA years and just 1 UFA year, this is very close to “walking him straight to unrestricted free agency”.

Because of the term, I have this as more of a player friendly than team friendly contract. But it’s still OK for Detroit, hopefully Vrana likes it there and ends up extending.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I think the AAV is perfectly fine for a player of Vrana’s caliber, but the term does suck for the Wings. Bought 2 RFA years and just 1 UFA year, this is very close to “walking him straight to unrestricted free agency”.

Because of the term, I have this as more of a player friendly than team friendly contract. But it’s still OK for Detroit, hopefully Vrana likes it there and ends up extending.
I don’t think we care about ufa much. We would much rather have shorter deals and make sure we want everyone here still on the team rather than caring about re-signing them in free agency. This is detroit an original 6 with yzerman at the helm, if vrana walks we can definitely get someone as good with our cap space.

Reactions: Hivemind

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
With all the dam goalie equipment a player could shoot a bloody bullet and not dent the "poor" 'tenders that fall down and can't get up! Leagues, the NHL included should make nets 10 x 10 and be done with it! Defensive hockey is Fricking boring and so are PP's that are predictable,boring and ineffective! That sums pretty much all PP's,making PK's King! Did anyone say ban technology? There is no room to skate and make plays unless its the boring cycling and board game!J Cristos I want to rip my eyes out 99% of the time
agreed . hockeys becoming a very boring unexciting game now determined by penalty calls / power plays . for starters make nets 6'' wider at minimum as the size of goalies has out evolved the original size net . and expand rinks up to the hybrid size to create more room for talent guys / good skaters to create exciting offense . also increase penalty for guys hooked or tripped off a break away as the majority of possibly exciting break away plays are terminated via hooks and trips , the trips many a time crashing the breaker dangerously into net or end boards . and this wont create more excitement but ide go back to wood because the harder shots today via graphite are causing bunches of injuries to ecspecially dmen whom are getting their ankles / feet wrecked , and the games already body wrecking enough without the heavy shots doing more . but the harder shots create more goals so the owners dont give a damn about the carnage as with wood there would be less scoring unless you increased rink and net size's . the larger rink would give guys with skates, hands , creativity more room to make exciting plays . but washed up idiots run nhl so the games a mess

Reactions: andys

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Yzerman is all-in on maintaining flexibility. Don’t see any long-term deals given out unless it’s a legit cornerstone player.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
The days of 7 year deals for the Abdelkader's of the world are over in Detroit.

Yzerman wants noncommittal deals, he signed them with everyone so far in his time in Detroit. Just look at Nedeljkovic and Bertuzzi already this offseason for example. Yes the deal is short and doesn't buy much in terms of UFA years, but the likelyhood of Vrana being a longterm Red Wing are nearly zero. Yzerman will flip him for assets when the time is right.

EpiK Sandwich

Long time lurker, first time poster
Nov 21, 2020
Columbus, OH
Totally fine with the length of contract. Yzerman is doing the opposite of Holland, shorter term contracts during this rebuild, worst case is he leaves in UFA after a few great seasons, but I like the cap flexibility here. Worst case, we suck and have a tradeable contract at a deadline to someone looking for depth in a few years. I believe in the Yzerplan!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

The idea is that this is a “prove it” kind of deal. Vrana outperforms this deal and he’s either kept at a raise, or he’s dealt at the deadline before it ends. Either way it’s a win win for both Vrana and Detroit.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The idea is that this is a “prove it” kind of deal. Vrana outperforms this deal and he’s either kept at a raise, or he’s dealt at the deadline before it ends. Either way it’s a win win for both Vrana and Detroit.

Vrana is a good young player, but he needs to prove that he is part of the core in Detroit vs just being a short term top 6 fill in for the team. Yzerman knows that the best way the kneecap yourself in the cap world is to sign non core players to long term big money contracts. Vrana is a speedy offensive minded sniper that has a spotty playoff record until he proves otherwise he is not worth a development hope deal (ie where you hope a player overperforms their deal) because he is a winger. Unless you have an Ovechkin, Kucherov, Kane you don't build a team around a winger.

The deal I'm most curious about is Hronek. I think that is the guy you see a long term 5+ year deal given to, but Wings fans are very split on whether they see him a young up and coming core defender or something we'll deal as soon as Seider hopefully takes over. It'll be interesting to see how Yzerman looks at him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Vrana is a good young player, but he needs to prove that he is part of the core in Detroit vs just being a short term top 6 fill in for the team. Yzerman knows that the best way the kneecap yourself in the cap world is to sign non core players to long term big money contracts. Vrana is a speedy offensive minded sniper that has a spotty playoff record until he proves otherwise he is not worth a development hope deal (ie where you hope a player overperforms their deal) because he is a winger. Unless you have an Ovechkin, Kucherov, Kane you don't build a team around a winger.

The deal I'm most curious about is Hronek. I think that is the guy you see a long term 5+ year deal given to, but Wings fans are very split on whether they see him a young up and coming core defender or something we'll deal as soon as Seider hopefully takes over. It'll be interesting to see how Yzerman looks at him.

I’m in the camp that Hronek isn’t an Yzerman style defender but he was sadly the best we had on those shit 2019 to 2021 teams. I think max for him 3 years and a ticket to another team when we’re looking to finalize the defensive facelift.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Nobody on Detroit is signed past 2024. Vrana's 3 year deal ties him with Michael Rasmussen as the player on Detroit with the most term remaining. Literally every single other player on their roster right now only has 1 or 2 years left on their contracts.

Yzerman's priority right now isn't buying up UFA years. One way or another, he wants the roster flexibility to pivot out of this rebuilding roster into the contending one he envisions in a few years. We'll see which players he opts to extend as part of that, but he clearly doesn't want to be burdened down by contracts that don't fit his vision.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The Wings are being run very similarly to the Tigers and it's really concerning. They are going to be a cap-floor team for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping that once they have a few more young draft picks this changes, but they aren't even trying to use the cap space to get draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00