Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Jakub Vrana re-signs with the Red Wings (3 years, $5.25M AAV)

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
why?
He has the same career high in goals.
He’s younger than Mantha.
Signed cheaper than him for the same number of years 3.

you could argue mantha brings a bit more outside or scoring. But was it work giving up an extra 1rst?
I think Mantha with a coach who knows how to keep him motivated is quite a bit better than Vrana. But it is a pretty big ask to keep the guy motivated. I'd really like to see him perform close to a full season at the level he's capable of, because he can be really exciting to watch. And I think this potential is exactly why Washington felt it was worth paying the 1st.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This deal is fine IMO

He is young W (Only 25 yrs old) who at this point is good for 45-55 pts and has potential to be consistent 30/30 guy going forward

I honestly would rather have him then Mantha and feel Caps made bad deal.. We shall see going forward

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Good signing. A bit of an over payment to keep him happy with a short enough contract to become trade bait in a few years.

Yzer has already admitted the rebuild will take longer than expected which is a nice way of saying the 25+ aren't in the long term plans. Yzer will continue to pull off Mantha type deals until the real core is built and team is ready to compete.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think Mantha with a coach who knows how to keep him motivated is quite a bit better than Vrana. But it is a pretty big ask to keep the guy motivated. I'd really like to see him perform close to a full season at the level he's capable of, because he can be really exciting to watch. And I think this potential is exactly why Washington felt it was worth paying the 1st.

true just still seems steep. Deal keeps getting better for Detroit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So mantha for vrana + cossa. Nice piece of business for Yzer.

The Cossa pieces include the Staal cap dump in the second, and the 4th round pick for flipping Savard. So all of that was done with assets acquired last year.

Kind of about where I expected Vrana's deal to be. I think Yzerman is having an A+ off-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: sxvnert

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
why?
He has the same career high in goals.
He’s younger than Mantha.
Signed cheaper than him for the same number of years 3.

you could argue mantha brings a bit more outside or scoring. But was it work giving up an extra 1rst?
Because he’s a ghost in the playoffs as soon as it gets remotely physical and I guess they wanted to take a chance on a bigger guy. They were under pressure to make some sort of change, mortgaging the future to send the message to Ovi “we’re doing everything we can to win another with you”

They’re going to rebuild no matter what in a few years so I guess they said f*** it lol

the extra pick (whichever one) was because of the cap dump. Panik was nowhere near his cap and the Wings don’t need him. They had all the leverage, even more since it was a deadline move and it was clear the Caps felt that pressure to make a change for the playoffs that year, not next. The Wings had 0 pressure, and cap dumps are more expensive covid era

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Three years? Love it. Either the wingers in the system will be ready to replace him, or we'll be starting over anyway. Money doesn't matter in the meantime.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The Cossa pieces include the Staal cap dump in the second, and the 4th round pick for flipping Savard. So all of that was done with assets acquired last year.
Crafty when you look at the totality of all the deals that led to Cossa + Vrana.

You can see the shift in direction and path starting @ the 2019 draft. Under Holland they just seemed to be spinning their wheels with no obvious plan for the fans to follow.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Crafty when you look at the totality of all the deals that led to Cossa + Vrana.

You can see the shift in direction and path starting @ the 2019 draft. Under Holland they just seemed to be spinning their wheels with no obvious plan for the fans to follow.

That was also the period of the rebuild they were in. Timelines matter to how GMs behave. I don't think Holland spends a first on a goalie ever again. But this is the first time we could really present a plan in a bit. I do like the foundation Yzerman has put together, we don't know what Holland would have done anymore. Guy is a hall of famer for a reason though and the person Yzerman continuously says is one of his biggest influences and friends. Tired of playing one off the other, both will tell you they believe in a ton of the same things.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad